Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times

Advertisements

Why do you choose to live the frugal life?

I believe in saving and investing but, I'll never be frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
To save money. There's different levels of frugal. It's a way of balancing how much money you want to make and how much money you want to spend.

I understand completely why people don't want to be frugal about a few dollars here and there and agree with you that it's a waste of time. But I'm frugal in other ways because otherwise it would be insanely expensive.

For example, I try to go on international vacations 2 times a season. I tend to cheap out and be frugal by flying coach. I get slack from my parents for it, who say that when you go on vacation, you should treat yourself like you're on vacation... otherwise you're kidding yourself. Maybe when I'm older I'll have the same view as them, but being in my 20s, I'm super frugal about it.

I don't know why, but I just am. I'm just glad that I'm not frugal about smaller things.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Well -- I have a four thousand dollar sewing machine that I bought and paid off that month, along with our other normal expenses. Being frugal to me doesn't mean I am denying myself, it means that I check prices for the things I want, and I don't waste money, so I can save it.

I tend to not see something and buy it (mainly because I hate shopping so I don't do it), I tend to think about my purchases and do research. I don't spend frivolously.

I'm this way (as is my husband) because we saw our parents live this way so they wouldn't struggle all the time. And when my dad died young (age 57) and my mother had to make do with the savings they had (which wasn't all that much) she was scared. She had been a stay at home mom who had never worked -- typical of her time.

And it scared me. So I am tighter than most (except my sister!)... but I'm not missing out on anything.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
I think Tallysmom explains it well. If you do frugal right, you don't miss out on anything. Doing frugal right isn't about cancelling services and skipping Starbucks. It's about getting what you want for less. I'm going to take a while guess and bet that Tallysmom didn'y pay retail for her sewing machine, but probably shopped around and purchased it at the best price (without sacrafice) that she could find. Although, being pennsylvanian from 1738, I bet she's had plenty of time to save up.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM

98 posts, read 239,271 times
Quote:

To increase savings. More savings = more options. Like PP, we're frugal but not missing out on things.

I know a couple people who used to be at the top 3% income earner and after a jobloss, regret not socking away most of their income. Now, they have no choice but to be really frugal and miss out on things since their great income is gone.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Freedom.

My low overhead and no debt opens up opportunities for me.

I know many people who are "stuck" in a job due to debt.

Last year I took a 6 week vacation, the year before a month.
To say nothing of smaller trips.

I live on a (temporally) small income, and do fine.

There's enough leeway that he 100MPH ticket I got on my bike might **** me' off (especially since I was doing under 90)
But I can pay it out of his months. Income.

If I want to do something, go somewhere, or buy something, I can do so. Without really worrying about affording it.

THAT is why.

Small things equate to great freedom over time

Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,807 times
Quote:

If you believe in saving and investing your probably frugal to an extent, if you weren't you probably woudn't have any money to save or invest.

Frugal is what you make of it. Some people take it to extremeles, stealing condiments from fast food restaurants to fill up their own ketchup bottle at home, washing zip lock bags. I personally find this kind of ridiculous nad not worth the time and effort and also a bit crazy imho.

However I am frugal as well. I have a smart phone, held out forever about getting one but spent a ton of time researching plans, carriers, etc. Also got a large corp discount over a 1/4 of my bill. I'm not paying much more than I was with a basic flip phone. Someone who wasn't frugal may have just run out picked up an iphone and paid a few hundred bucks for it plus over $100 a month.

I try to bring lunch a few times a week, not a huge sacrafice and probably healthier as well.

I have a few name brand clothes but otherwise just buy at burlington coat factory or something. Nobody can tell the diff between $79 abercrombie cargo pants and $15 burlington.

I understand not wanting to consider yourself frugal. I think some people are so proud of their money savibng they are telling al their freindly and family who really dont care nad telling them they are dumb for how they spend their money and that's annoying and obnoxious.

Frugal is the extent you take it to but personally I think its just plain stupid to say I'm not frugal and never will be. That's like saying I go out an buy things without doing any research. I dont try to save money when possible, etc.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:

im frugal. i would like to retire by 50 and if i did find myself unemployed i could live at my current spending levels for about 5-6 years (im 30). i never have to worry about being able to afford anything. for the most part, i have the same stuff as anyone else or better and i pay less for it by looking for deals. i dont waste money and i cut things that arent giving me real value for my money.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I don't see frugality as "voluntary simplicity"; I see it as "living smart".

To me frugality means:

...not falling for trendy advertising and "upgrading" that is designed to suck money out of people, not improve your quality of life.

...paying as little as possible for goods and getting the highest quality goods possible.

...not getting bogged down in debt.

...not investing in things wherever possible that rapidly loose value.

...keeping things well maintained and acquiring the skills to maintain/repair them myself.

...trying my best to remain as independent and self-sustaining as possible.

With the money I save I have been able to turn around and upgrade my lifestyle beyond what I would otherwise be able to do on my current salary. I live in a beautiful historic home in a upscale neighborhood, drive a brand new car, support 3 kids and my wife can be a stay-home parent in exchange for our frugality.

Is any of this bad?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I believe in saving and investing...
Surprise! That is the essence of frugality.

Defer? yes. Delay? yes. Deny? no.

The Defer and Delay part of that:
Conscious choices guiding your major and minor decisions to just NOT do X so that you can save (and invest) that money instead...

The Deny part of that:
You don't really deny. But when the time comes to do something spendy doing it only after finding the best supplier or service etc and then of course paying cash to do so when it happens.

Quote:
but I'll never be frugal.
too late!

Don't get caught up in the semantics.
There are some, a lot really, of no fun to be around never leave the house to do anything interesting 'cause it might cost them a nickle people who like to describe themselves as "frugal" because it sounds better than just being cheap.

There are a lot of people of very limited resources and income who have no choice but to do all the penny saving tactics who describe themselves as frugal because it sounds better than just plain being poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living