Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:54 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times

Advertisements

It wasn't that big an item -- a pair of reading glasses -- and the fact that it's only an occasional purchase surely had a lot to do with the disparity, but.......

The "Suggested Retail Price", which we all know includes a fair-sized mark-up, was $12.00. When I got to checkout, the lady behind the counter asked me whether I had their "Healthy Living" (name changed to avoid making the fight personal) card. Without it, the final price, including sales tax, would have come to $21.00.

I'm fully aware that retail merchants have costs to cover. I do carry one card, from a well-run supermarket chain with outlets close to several places in which I regularly do business, But my wallet is already bulging with plastic, and if I enrolled in every program the schlockmeisters seek to foist upon us, I'd need another accessory just to carry them all.

So here's another purchase going to Wal-Mart simply because some twerp in middle management thought it would be a good idea to replace honest competition with crony capitalism, brought all the way down to the retail level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Meh.
I'll play the game and get the savings.

Once you have the cards, you don't have to carry them. The employee can look you up in the system with your phone number and a photo ID.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 PM

355 posts, read 913,786 times
Ugh, I hate that. Usually the cashier will have a "store" card to scan to give you the savings. Did they not offer that to you or they really were going to force you to pay the $21.00?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM

306 posts, read 416,618 times
I also loathe them. I have a couple only because I was feeling weak at the moment and gave in. I am insulted that unless I am part of the "In" crowd I have to pay more. Why not offer that price to all your customers? Oh I know - you can't spam me with email/snail mail without my info. None of them get my phone number or I give a fake one. I also make it a point to shop elsewhere whenever possible, not that they care I'm not "one" of them anyway

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Do you mean places like Costco,Bj's,and Sam's club?

I hate those types of places too. I refuse to pay for membership,and the prices aren't even that much cheaper than regular supermarkets. I will stick with Aldi's for now.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Oh I know - you can't spam me with email/snail mail without my info. None of them get my phone number or I give a fake one.
I get no phone calls from any of the companies with who I have cards.
No emails either.
The only things we get is bonus coupons through USPS... like CVS's 20% off total purchase that DH just used for stocking stuffers.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Ugh, I hate that. Usually the cashier will have a "store" card to scan to give you the savings. Did they not offer that to you or they really were going to force you to pay the $21.00?
I have a family member who worked as a cashier for a local grocery chain. They were not supposed to offer to scan a "store card" for a customer who didn't have a card. The idea was to suggest that the shopper apply for a card of their own.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
Sometimes you can just ask if they have a card you can use. Toss it when you leave the store. I do this with a couple of stores that I don't visit on a regular basis. Sometimes the person behind you will let you use their card so they can get the extra points.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 PM

455 posts, read 979,716 times
As stated, sometimes the savings are huge. One local grocery chain offers huge BOGO deals on meat with the card. Staples is another good one to sign up for if you use a lot of office or school supplies. Pet chains offer deals too.

I use a disposable webmail. I like Hotmail. This keeps the spam out of your personal email. It offers a great function called "Sweep" that allows you to block large blocks of spammers with a few clicks. I give the stores phony phone numbers and addresses. I even signed up for a Facebook account under a pseudonym to avoid being tracked online. FB offers some really good coupons on manufacturer's pages.

I got a Sam's membership in November for $20.00 from Groupon. When I signed up, I received coupons for free food worth more than my $20.00. Just one trip to buy a big-ticket item like tires or household purchases will more than make up for any fees.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,401 times
I think the OP is talking about regular supermarkets and pharmacies, etc that have "club cards."

I used to be very against them and resist. But I got tired of NOT getting the savings, and I also don't think it's fair/right of me to always ask if they have a card, or expect the cashier to swipe a card for me.

If you want the saving then suck it up and do what you need to to GET the savings. That's what I eventually did. I just check that I don't want to get emails, or give a phony email.

I gave in and figure if they want to know what brand of TP I use to wipe my butt...or juice I buy, or can beans a eat, then more power to them, whatever. Like I said, for YEARS I resisted on principle, then just gave in.

I have cards for 2 drug stores and 2 grocery stores. 2 big office supply chains. NOT to mention my favorite burrito place, my office supply store photo copy kiosk card. That's just what I remember off the top of my head. My wallet is FULL of cards...the full size and the key chain size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living