Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Woah! How did you find this out (source???)? I'm an avid Amazon.com shopper (buy in bulk for the Office and Home). This seems important to know about even though I do check prices before I hit the "place order" button! Found this CNN article mentioning it:
Web sites change prices based on customers' habits - Page 3 - CNN

To the OP, I've been contemplating Amazon Prime membership for the free movies, but I found out my ISP puts a cap on downloading and Netflix is eating it up!!!
I pay CLOSE attention to all my money matters to the point of being a scrooge. I caught amazon TWICE changing the price just as I clicked "buy"!! I had a go round with them to get the offered price both times so I got the offered price.

IMO even tho I'm an avid amazon customer I approach my business dealings with amazon as a hostile merchant which the are by slippery computer tracking, mind games, and bait and switch all done on a customer by customer basis.

If you suspect that you're being "boosted" on the prices you pay compared to other customers check the prices (never order here just check) at the local library (you have to change computers to an unknown) since then you will look like a new customer to Amazons tracking computers. I've gotten several items at lower prices when I pressed the issue with amazon.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 03-28-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
If you suspect that you're being "boosted" on the prices you pay compared to other customers check the prices (never order here just check) at the local library (you have to change computers to an unknown) since then you will look like a new customer to Amazons tracking computers. I've gotten several items at lower prices when I pressed the issue with amazon.
I guess I got lucky on my recent purchases with them because I did check anonymously through a friends computer which I never used to shop there. I found the prices I checked on to be the same as what I paid.

I have had the experience of putting things in my cart only to leave them overnight and get a warning notice the next day that the price of "x" item has increased. Not fun seeing those warnings but at least Amazon let me know before I hit the "place order" button.

I will be more watchful from now on!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Woah! How did you find this out (source???)? I'm an avid Amazon.com shopper (buy in bulk for the Office and Home). This seems important to know about even though I do check prices before I hit the "place order" button! Found this CNN article mentioning it:
Web sites change prices based on customers' habits - Page 3 - CNN

To the OP, I've been contemplating Amazon Prime membership for the free movies, but I found out my ISP puts a cap on downloading and Netflix is eating it up!!!
I can't state that Amazon is not currently doing this but would caution that the linked article is from 2005 about a practice Amazon was discovered doing in 2000.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I'm an Amazon Prime member. Everything I've bought has been cheaper there than with local or other internet stores.....

Prime members get free 2nd day shipping, although maybe because we're in SoCal - I'd say about 75% of what I buy ends up coming the very next day. Recently - on a trip to Hawaii, we realized that "baby" (her Coroelle baby doll) had become lost. We were leaving the next day. I was able to order a replacement much cheaper than ToysRus, etc... and it was waiting for us when we got back.

We're pretty busy (really, isn't everyone?) and I try to limit my running around/errand days to two days a week. (We walk to the park/grocery/bank/library/dance and music classes, etc). My car is 8+ years old with 120K miles - long ago paid for but not great on gas milage. Plus I've got a toddler - she reaches her limit on in and out of the car pretty quickly. So I factor those things in as well...

I will say that I read somewhere that Prime meber order way more stuff than regualr Amazon users and I'd say that using Prime is not good for people who have trouble with impulse buying - it's just way to easy/fast to order. (basically one click and it's in your cart/paid for and on it's way)

Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
In my opinion Amazon Prime is a great deal IF you use it often. I had it for a few years and used it regularly however, last year I didn't use it as often so I dropped my membership. If we move to an area again that is a longer drive for some items I will use them again with no qualms.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can't state that Amazon is not currently doing this but would caution that the linked article is from 2005 about a practice Amazon was discovered doing in 2000.
I couldn't find anything more recent than that article closely matching that issue. Personally I think I'm doing okay with Amazon.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I pay CLOSE attention to all my money matters to the point of being a scrooge. I caught amazon TWICE changing the price just as I clicked "buy"!! I had a go round with them to get the offered price both times so I got the offered price.

IMO even tho I'm an avid amazon customer I approach my business dealings with amazon as a hostile merchant which the are by slippery computer tracking, mind games, and bait and switch all done on a customer by customer basis.

What you describe is highly illegal. That is not what Amazon is doing. Amazon does not charge customers different prices.

What Amazon's pricing algorithms do is constantly scan their competitors prices and adjust accordingly. When a price change occurs, it occurs for all customers. A price change can occur many times throughout the day so it may seem like the price is specific to you but it is not. On some items, Amazon (and other online retailers) do change prices often because their competitors change their prices often.

Also, Amazon contains many third party sellers and sometimes buyers don't pay attention to who they're actually buying from. Furthermore, the default seller who holds the "buy button" constantly changes and thus the default item page price changes.

Personally, I always try to purchase from Amazon directly even if it costs a bit more.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What you describe is highly illegal. That is not what Amazon is doing. Amazon does not charge customers different prices.

What Amazon's pricing algorithms do is constantly scan their competitors prices and adjust accordingly. When a price change occurs, it occurs for all customers. A price change can occur many times throughout the day so it may seem like the price is specific to you but it is not. On some items, Amazon (and other online retailers) do change prices often because their competitors change their prices often.

Also, Amazon contains many third party sellers and sometimes buyers don't pay attention to who they're actually buying from. Furthermore, the default seller who holds the "buy button" constantly changes and thus the default item page price changes.

Personally, I always try to purchase from Amazon directly even if it costs a bit more.
You must work for ,or hold a major stock interest in, Amazon to be able to speak to the insider knowledge as you have which makes your point of view suspect at best.

In spite of your bright cheery defense of Amazons business practises nothing precludes Amazon from behaving badly just as I described. Unless customers can compare notes on a real time basis nothing prevents Amazon ,or any other large net seller, from using customer level pricing. I just happened to catch Amazon in their dirty deeds.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Hmm, so yesterday - the Husband was up at Home Depot for some lightbulbs - they were $10 there, and one was broken when he got it home..

I was able to order them for $7 (plus free 2 day shipping)

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
I've easily recouped my Prime membership in just a few months of shopping at Amazon. I often scan an item I'm looking for at B&M stores and then place an order with Amazon right from my smart phone. Just the other day I saved $15 on one item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living