Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times

Advertisements

Why can't it be a "by choice frugality" like W. Buffet or that millionaire barber down the street???
Why can't it be a glorified miser like Ebenezer Scrooge but without the Christmas ghosts???

Some people I know, myself included are also frugal with time... & then why can't you budget time too??? Like grocery time, shorten spending time, know your on route cheapest gas station without having to spend time or gas$ looking for one etc... saves time & money. Good article... just needs a broader spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Maybe I missed out on something during my life, but I have never been in a situation in which I had less time than I needed, to earn a living, maintain my household, and attend to my family responsibilities, and enjoy leisure. There was always enough money that my lower-than-average paycheck covered everything, and I had leisure time in which I could freely make the choice of work or leisure.

So I'm a little bit puzzled by those of you who "needed" so much, that there was insufficient time in your life to pursue it.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I'm a little bit puzzled by those of you who "needed" so much, that there was insufficient time in your life to pursue it.
A guy posted on another thread that he works 45-90 hours a week -- yes 90!

I doubt he has much time to do much of anything other than ...say ...uh WORK...maybe?!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A guy posted on another thread that he works 45-90 hours a week -- yes 90!

I doubt he has much time to do much of anything other than ...say ...uh WORK...maybe?!
Without knowing the context, I'm going to guess that he fits in one (or both) of two categories:

1. He would rather do what he calls "work", than relax in leisure, whether he needs to or not.

2. He has committed himself (emotionally or debtwise) to expenditures far beyond what he is capable of earning in a normal work week.

There are plenty of people in both camps, but they have no right to inflict what works for them, as a general rule that ought to apply to everyone. If he wants or has to work 90 hours a week, he has no right to propose a general principle of labor that denies a fair and decent living to people who don't want to or have to work 90 hours, and call it a correct "value" of time.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM

395 posts, read 859,655 times
The problem is with the article is that it doesn`t separate the difference between shopping, verus working. Frugality isn`t the same as anti consumerism, one should enjoy spending money, but its better to spend 100 dollars over a ten hour period versus a 1 hour period, although technically it is less efficient it can often provide more pleasure for your dollar.

Shopping at bad, doing it all at once without browsing is.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM

395 posts, read 859,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You can always make more money. You can never get back time. Not even a billionaire can get back lost time.

Which is more valuable? Time.
The problem is people often sacrifice todays money for todays time, later in life their stuck working due to poor spending habbits.

Either way I prefer a simple lifestyle versus being frugal. I don`t drive, I don`t care what kind of clothes I wear, eat only what I can cook etc. I don`t use coupons or find tricks to save money, I simply avoid things that cost money with preference for those that don`t.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I don`t drive...
I don't even want to think about the TIME I'd lose/waste if I didn't drive. (and walked or took public transit everywhere). It really is a lifestyle difference.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM

689 posts, read 2,161,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't even want to think about the TIME I'd lose/waste if I didn't drive. (and walked or took public transit everywhere). It really is a lifestyle difference.
If you walk or take the bus, you can spend the time thinking. As opposed to driving the car and concentrating on traffic and listening to the stereo blaring and escalating road rage and wishing you could text.

Some people enjoy thinking. Some people find that thinking improves their inner peace or their outer prospects. Some people both. Others, as you say, "don't even want to think", because doing so is way too tiresome.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
LOVE the article. It says what I have often thought about.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
When it comes to getting things done around the house, I gladly pay to have it done. Handyman, electrician, plumber, etc. Now, I know who does what for a good price, but I will happily get an estimate and write a check. And I have two able-bodied sons who can push a lawnmower.

I work for myself, which means I only get to eat what I kill. And given how much I spend either working or taking care of my kids, I loathe the idea of spending my few remaining hours each week shuttling back and forth to Home Depot in order to do something half-assed that I could hire someone to do and often come out ahead. In that situation, time is more valuable than money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living