Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 AM

454 posts, read 449,189 times

Advertisements

Im going to purchase some soap but its not the regular soap you buy. But its more the soap for lightening. I had purchased this a while back and the bars were very tiny... i noticed they ran out very quickly. Does anyone have tips on how to make soap last longer? If it matters, its kojie san soap.

Another thing i want to ask is where do you generally keep your soap? I don't have those things where you just put your soap there in the shower etc. I didn't buy any of those soap holders, so i had just put it in like a ziplock bag instead. I could not find any soap holders where im located. Not in the US at the moment so thats the reason. By any chance does that cause soap is run out faster? Putting it in like a small sort of ziplock bag? Its not a ziplock but its basically those bags you get where you put food in it. The other thing is with soap, i believe when you spray hot water over it, it wears out a lot faster than cold water correct? Also the reason i ask this is because its hard to get that type of soap where im located so when i do get it, i want to make sure i have enough of it because its hard to get it here. Obviously i could buy a lot of them but i don't need all of the soap at once.

Also, do soap boxes make soap last longer? And if so, is this good? The other thing is im curious but if you have those things where you just put the soap on it.. like its attached to the wall etc, does that wear the soap out faster as oppose to keeping it in a soap box like the one below? Also isn't it better because it closes the soap in a way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LW8WWFB7&psc=1

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 AM

454 posts, read 449,189 times
Also my question isn't really about frugal. Because if i could order it anytime i could. But i notice i used up these small kojie san soap bars very quickly. I also have very bad habits like using way too much toilet paper and paper towel. But for the soap, well i can't really get it where im located... so when i could find a way to get it, i want to make sure i have enough.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I have always heard that if you stored bars of soap unwrapped they will harden and last longer.

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/How-...Longer-2937465

Quote:
Unwrap new soaps and place them in a drawer or between layers of linens. This helps "cure" the soap (dry it out), making for a harder, longer-lasting bar.
Keeping a bar of soap as dry as possible between uses will also help it last longer.

More tips.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/...a-bar-of-soap/

Quote:
However, if the bar is allowed to dry completely before being used again, it’ll last much longer.
You could use two bars of soap, letting one dry completely while using the other one, rotating them.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:36 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
What is soap for lightening?

Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have always heard that if you stored bars of soap unwrapped they will harden and last longer.

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/How-...Longer-2937465

Keeping a bar of soap as dry as possible between uses will also help it last longer.

More tips.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/...a-bar-of-soap/

You could use two bars of soap, letting one dry completely while using the other one, rotating them.

THIS.....

Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is soap for lightening?
It's soap for whitening.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
I have never heard of that soap, but I did read once in a hints section that leaving the soap unwrapped after buying and letting it "air out" for several days before will cause the water in it to dry out making the soap hard and not dissolve so quickly when using.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Use a Japanese magnet-style holder. I switched to these five or six years ago, and it makes a huge difference in how long the bars last. No waste from leaving goop on a shelf or tray; all the wet foam re-cakes to the bar as it dries. Also much easier to keep the bathroom clean without soap goop to scrub/scrape up.

They're on Amazon for about $5-10 each. The only trick is getting the magnet button into harder soaps like Ivory. I have developed a method of pressing it in hard, then leaving the bar on a flat surface at least overnight (that is, not suspended from the button). That's enough for the button "teeth" to bond into the bar.

Then I compress the remaining sliver onto the next bar, wet, and let it sit as well. My soap waste is near zero and my soap usage is at least 20-25% less over a year. And yes, I still smell good.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I don't use bar soap a lot but I have opened the ends of the packages in the closet/drawer and when I use them, they last a long time.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I like liquid soap and especially like those that "foam" - you use far less and it is still plenty - if you really need to, use two pumps.

Bar soap is a waste to me - even with soap holders it still gets goopy and I hate rinsing off a shower buddy's hair - yeeeeeeech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living