Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
Annerk- I like the pecking order statement. I think I'll use it. I am always honest and sincere. Which is the reason why I don't work for corporate america. (Why do we even still call it corporate america when it's now corporate global?)

As for your shower ideology, I think you should know I don't waste water every day - I take a shower every other day. Not to save on water, but because for me, it's unnecessary. Have since I was a teenager. After living overseas in several countries, I've learned that in many countries, one does not shower daily. Thailand excluded. If you understood the global water situation, you would realize what an utter waste of that natural resource it is and that the next world war will be for water - not land or oil. (Americans always learn last.)
You said "once a week." Big difference between that and every other day--although if you are working in a hot, steamy kitchen you will need to shower daily. The kitchen smells will be in your hair and you will be sweatier than you might be working in other occupations.

I shower almost every day--in the winter I skip once or twice a month, but I take "Navy Showers." Get in and get wet. Turn off the water, wash hair. Turn on the water and rinse hair. Turn off the water, apply conditioner and then wash my body. Wash my face. Turn the water back on and rinse everything off. Saves both water and the gas to heat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I wouldn't pay the credit card. I wouldn't say that under normal circumstances, but if that's all the money you have the credit card companies can wait.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I wouldn't pay the credit card. I wouldn't say that under normal circumstances, but if that's all the money you have the credit card companies can wait.
I would pay the credit cards and go dumpster diving. You need good credit to get an apartment or job these days.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Well, I'd say to come to Phoenix but it's not really great with the help but it's a lot warmer and dryer. We have homeless tent communities down here as well. Being homeless is very dangerous for a woman though. Rape, theft, it's not a great adventure for you, IMO.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...tance_pro.html

Can't you get services? Why don't you get section 8, food stamps, and go back to college on a grant? I've known a few almost homeless who went down to the state office and got a rent free apartment, food stamps and grant to attend community college. They eventually got beyond their crisis and are now doing well with jobs in nursing and medical records.

Look for the state with the best programs like MA. Blue states usually have better options in this department.

Emergency shelters and transitional programs give temporary housing and support services to the homeless in Massachusetts. Some shelters are for families with children, some are for runaway teens and teen parents, some are for women and children fleeing domestic violence, and some are for single adult men and women without children. Transitional programs provide many support services to help homeless people find housing and live independently.

http://www.massresources.org/homelessness-agencies.html

They will usually hook you up with a job, get you stable and into section 8 which is easily affordable with food stamps and energy grants with a low paying job. They will also help you fill out the paper work for a grant so you can attend part time at a community college to get your skills which will prevent you from entering a low pay job and potential homelessness again.

The west is not as great with the programs, I admit, but it's closer and warmer in Phoenix,AZ. Programs aren't great but it doesn't sound like Florida's are that great either. Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Prevent Homelessness
A lot of churches serve with temp housing, furniture, food, etc.

I found a few in your state, have you contacted anyone of these? Can they help at all prevent your homelessness?
http://endhomelessnesswa.org/resources/counties/28/
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...assistanc.html
Seattle Homeless Shelters and Services - Seattle WA Homeless Shelters - Seattle Washington Homeless Shelters
Clallam County -- If You're Homeless -- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless

There are a lot of programs out there you could try. Are you wanting to prevent a life on the street? Or are you wanting to experience it for your book purposes, etc? I don't think I'm understanding clearly what your objective really is.

Last edited by PoppySead; 01-06-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
I am so sorry for your predicament...I would not have spent money on a plane ticket. I fee a person is safer in familiar territory. Especially since you already have work in that area. Moving to a new area, w/ no income is frightening even if you have enough money to survive for some time...you do not apparently. Certainly don't make a payment to credit cards...that would be the worst thing you can do...Does the exchange have job openings where you are going?? I'd check and try to ine something out. Also check the various caregiver threads for openings in that area, either right where you live now...or where you are going. Here is one search...I would check newspapers, web pages etc for listings for care giving positions..Sometimes these come w/ housing. How about nanny services? Again, I caution you about moving to unknown territory w/ no job or money...Please be careful...You may find something if you search, and then don't move away. That would be my advice.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=caregiver

Last edited by JanND; 01-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: added ink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living