Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times

Advertisements

1. why and when did this thread turn into PB discussion group?
2. CONGRATULATIONS!! You found the right store - Aldi!! We miss it A LOT here in WA, as Winco is not a good substitute. But from my TN Aldi memories, it had basically everything. We could not even be going to any other store at all, as they introduced electronics, automotive stuff, etc.
3. for car stuff, go to Walmart. It has most of basic things for your vehicles and it is always cheaper. Windshield washer fluid is windshield washer fluid. But a buck diff counts. Also, Walmart has phenomenally lex return policy.
4. do NOT fall under stupid stocking fade though. Stock only things that do NOT get spoiled and ARE used. Besides, PB is not too healthy anyway.
5. I started buying maintenance items, like say fridge filter or outside halogene light bulbs in twos. a) saves me on driving and b) they only go up in price and c) they are not always available or are slowly discontinued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Oh, and Lord save you from buying something "because it's cheaper". That's exactly what they want you to do.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,630 times
Okie dokie

"stocking fad"

Of course you don't want to buy perishables in bulk, but if you get something really cheap or free and can stock up on it, why not?
I have a years supply of toilet paper that I paid pennies for. I can tell you, we will use it.
Why would I want to go out and pay full-price for something I'm literally going to throw away?
I've had a stockpile for over 7 years now, add to it when I find a deal and rotate it. It's hardly a fad

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Okie dokie

"stocking fad"

Of course you don't want to buy perishables in bulk, but if you get something really cheap or free and can stock up on it, why not?
I have a years supply of toilet paper that I paid pennies for. I can tell you, we will use it.
Why would I want to go out and pay full-price for something I'm literally going to throw away?
I've had a stockpile for over 7 years now, add to it when I find a deal and rotate it. It's hardly a fad
I agree that if you find an extraordinary deal on things like TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc., then it's a good idea to buy up to a years worth. In my opinion, spending money on over a years worth of anything isn't worth it. Invest the money instead and you'll get back whatever the savings were--not to mention you've got to store it all. If you've got the room to store more than a years worth of food and household products, you might want to consider saving money by moving to a smaller house.

I keep about a six month supply of paper products and cleaners--sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the deals I can find.

I don't buy things just because they are on sale, only if it's something I need/use. I will occasionally try a new product if with a sale/coupon it's practically free--but not processed foods. For example I tried a brand of bowl cleaner because I got it for $.10 after a coupon and sale.

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, no fad here.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
If you look through the threads there are several about this.. I totally agree with you that stocking up when the price is right... is the right thing to do. I do it and have a pantry full of things I use regularly. I also do it for pet food/supplies. Also, whenever i write checks... yes, i am a dinosaur, although I do love online banking, I always round the amount UP in my check book, also do this when doing online banking. In no time I had almost $1,000. in my checking acct. I leave it there and don't add it to my balance. I know it's there but it is like a safety net or emergency fund if needed.

I look at being frugal like a game and it can be amusing and fun at times.
- In town there is a Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Marsh on the same street.
So I can go to all three and stock up on the value stuff. Since it's no more gas.

Hmm, my spouse does that with the check book too.
But says it always comes up short!
Maybe I'm the one getting 'short-changed'.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
When pasta gets to a low enough price (usually $1.00 for my preferred brand) I'll buy a lot. It holds a long time, it's a staple at our house, and it doesn't take up too much space. If I see a really good deal on toothpaste I'll buy that in bulk, too. We don't stock up on toilet paper, as we don't have the room.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats me and its more like 59 jars. most of them were bought for 19 cents each, another chunk was 50 cents a piece. it was such a good deal, i couldnt resist. i eat pb&j pretty much every day. ive eaten 28 of them now i think and i have bought more for when it runs out. i dont buy things i think will go bad before i can get to them, im not worried about these peanut butters; they will all be eaten.
19 cents?? they have a recall on the pb??

Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
19 cents?? they have a recall on the pb??
It was probably on sale and he had a coupon. That is how it is usally done.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
I love this Forum! It is because of all of you this year we have actually saved money. I never shopped in Aldi thinking that their food was inferior, I could not have been more wrong. We went from a family of 2 spending $150 a week for groceries down to $65. I used to stock pile and realize now I don't have to. All our stores are 1 mi. away.

A major purchase that we bought a few yrs. ago is my front loader washer. Not only does it save on water and electric, I mark all of dets. with the date I opened them up. I do 2 loads of wash a day and det. & fabric softner lasts 9 mos., 101 oz. of detergent. kelsie

Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM

200 posts, read 482,656 times
Just a few comments on what you wrote...

1. I'm surprised you would have wasted money on windshield fluid! Even when I had a car, and there was fluid in it, I found that I rarely used it. Just wash your windows at home during the good weather and at the gas station during the winter. Don't think I've ever used 2 gallons of that stuff.

2. Stocking up is okay, but buying gobs of something to save money is kind of like...buying the dog food cause it's on sale, not because you have a dog! ha ha

3. I'd like to know how, even for one person, you only spend $50 on food per month!! I declare this is not possible. So I would sincerely like to know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living