Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

I kinda stumbled into this one. Months ago, I logged in to Walmart.com to have an item shipped directly to my home...

THEN discovered the lower cost of many items using online purchasing... Won't go into details but if this sounds like something you are interested in, go to the website and check prices against what you usually pay.

For instance, I large pkgs of paper towels and toilet paper, large bags of quality cat food, large laundry detergents etc, personal health items ie toothpaste, deodorant etc. Also purchase large cans of brand-name coffee, certain snacks etc.

ALL these items are significantly LESS EXPENSIVE than at the grocery stores. YES, I could just shop at Walmart or Target but here is the catch:

If you buy only $45 worth of items, ( and I shop only once a month, so no problem), you can get almost anything SHIPPED FREE to your home! No gas, standing in line, rude salespeople, driving time.

This is great for me, as I now have a hard time with lifting,carrying heavy or bulky items. SO convenient. Delivered right to your door by FedEx and never have had a problem or issue of any kind. I have had the same good service with Target.

Don't know if this is particularly frugal, but it saves a lot of $ and is easier to boot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
I'm a big fan of shopping online. I find that traditional online stores such as Amazon to be better than online bigbox stores. Particularly because Amazon makes it so easy to get items same-day, next-day and in 2 days.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
I do quite a bit of online shopping, Amazon has some really good deals too, I bought 2 cases of pop tarts, 48 boxes of 8 for only $12 free shipping during one of their lightening deals, they are dated 10/13, so we have a long time to eat them. I've done Walmart, Target, Macy's, Kohls, JCP. I basically shop wherever there is a sale, I get email alerts for several stores. When they have a good sale with no minimum and zero shipping, I will see if i need anything. I've gotten some nice deals at Macy's, this winter I was in the market for a rotary belgian waffle maker and when I googled it, Macy's had it on sale for the lowest price, no shipping fees.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM

But no free shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm a big fan of shopping online. I find that traditional online stores such as Amazon to be better than online bigbox stores. Particularly because Amazon makes it so easy to get items same-day, next-day and in 2 days.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Again, good deals are everywhere.
So the draw is free shipping...

Shipping savings for me are around ... $20 per order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I do quite a bit of online shopping, Amazon has some really good deals too, I bought 2 cases of pop tarts, 48 boxes of 8 for only $12 free shipping during one of their lightening deals, they are dated 10/13, so we have a long time to eat them. I've done Walmart, Target, Macy's, Kohls, JCP. I basically shop wherever there is a sale, I get email alerts for several stores. When they have a good sale with no minimum and zero shipping, I will see if i need anything. I've gotten some nice deals at Macy's, this winter I was in the market for a rotary belgian waffle maker and when I googled it, Macy's had it on sale for the lowest price, no shipping fees.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
But no free shipping!
Amazon has free shipping on orders above $25 for everyone and free 2-day shipping on all orders for Amazon prime users (which I am).

At Walmart you have to spend $45 for free shipping!

Last edited by NJBest; 01-21-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
But no free shipping!
Nope, Amazon DOES ship for free.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM

69 posts, read 84,593 times
If you have Amazon Prime, almost everything they stock themselves (vs small merchants who sell on AMZN) ships free. I use Amazon almost exclusively now. I make a wishlist and buy monthly. It keeps the "churn" on my money low, because I can plan my spending, rather than just "popping out" for this or that randomly.

I buy my fruits, veggies and meats locally if I haven't home canned it or grown it in my kitchen (lettuce and sprouts). I bake my own bread with flour I bought online.

This approach has DRASTICALLY reduced my food bill.

The nicest part about it applies to germo-phobes. At a grocery store, individual cans have been handled several times - intitial stocking, rotating, and people touching them daily without buying. I read a study that says that this activity actually reduces the shelf life of canned goods (weird, right?!). Buying online by the case cuts out all that handling - it's like buying directly from the warehouse. Everything is shrink-wrapped and pristine.

Plus, as my handle may suggest, it helps you be prepared for an emergency.

Hope my post helps!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
I have ordered a few things online, but I'm not sure how I feel about retailers charging different zip codes different prices. And I think that's in areas that are relatively near each other.

At the supermarket, for the most part the shelf price is the same -- at least regionally (at major retailers.)
Why should Barnes and Noble charge me one price -- and someone else in my same metro area another price.

Plus I tend to be a 'hands on' -- look-at-it-in-person -- pick-out-my-own kind of shopper.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
I think it always depends on what you are looking for. I've looked at Walmart, Target for specific things and they are not any cheaper than my local stores. I do get some things on Amazon with their subscribe and save program. They used to discount the item by 15% but it is now only 5%. Free shipping does apply for this program too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living