Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,566,926 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a coffee percolator and found one today at Goodwill a Corning ware 10 cup for $6.00

I love thrift stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,038,061 times
As long as it works that was a good deal! I am always hesitant to buy anything electric at thrift stores because a lot of times the article doesn't work.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 AM

393 posts, read 1,203,369 times
I've just recently discovered the fun of shopping at thrift stores. I've gotten some great deals. The store I like the best has 30% off on Mondays, so I'm there every Monday. It's fun and interesting. I really get a chuckle when I see an item for sale that I already own. Makes me wonder if it's time for me to donate mine.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
I was looking for a coffee percolator and found one today at Goodwill a Corning ware 10 cup for $6.00

I love thrift stores
I love thrift stores too but not necessarily Goodwill. Ours has become quite expensive for some reason. A couple weeks ago I was looking for work shirts and found ONE perfect shirt but they wanted $10 for it. Used to be I could have got it for no more than $2. We have quite a few thrift stores in my town though so I'm not 'stuck' with Goodwill.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,566,926 times
I go often to Kimberly House Thrift store on Mondays it is half price off clothes got to love it!!

My hubby needed a hawaiian shirt and I found one for 1.00

And so many times the price tags are still on them

Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I love thrift stores too but not necessarily Goodwill. Ours has become quite expensive for some reason. A couple weeks ago I was looking for work shirts and found ONE perfect shirt but they wanted $10 for it. Used to be I could have got it for no more than $2. We have quite a few thrift stores in my town though so I'm not 'stuck' with Goodwill.

This is the reason I wont go in the Salvation Army. When prices start getting higher at the thrift store then the department store, there is something wrong.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is the reason I wont go in the Salvation Army. When prices start getting higher at the thrift store then the department store, there is something wrong.
We don't have a Salvation Army store here but there is an excellant one 45 miles away. Also a HUGE Savers but I found their prices to be 'somewhat' high as well. St. Vincent de Paul seems to be best I've been to in a while but, again, it's 45 miles away. Most of our thrift stores are locally owned/run. One of the best is run by the Humane Society.

I work at Walmart so my choices of econimical clothes is big. Comparing prices with the thrift stores I can do just as well for brand new.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 AM

858 posts, read 1,810,170 times
Quote:
Comparing prices with the thrift stores I can do just as well for brand new.
That's what I found where I live. Sometimes you can get cheaper clothes new in clearance from the store than at the thrift stores. I'm not going to pay $5 for a used 4T jean, when I can get it new for $3 at Kohl's or Target.

There are some bargains, but Goodwill here has high prices.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
Quote:
That's because they realized people were buying cheap clothes, then selling them on ebay for a profit, so they thought they could make more money as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Exactly! Salvation Army in this area is the highest priced of all the "thrift" stores.

Quote:
We don't have a Salvation Army store here but there is an excellant one 45 miles away. Also a HUGE Savers but I found their prices to be 'somewhat' high as well. St. Vincent de Paul seems to be best I've been to in a while but, again, it's 45 miles away. Most of our thrift stores are locally owned/run. One of the best is run by the Humane Society.

I work at Walmart so my choices of econimical clothes is big. Comparing prices with the thrift stores I can do just as well for brand new.
St. Vincent DePaul is the cheapest in our area too. They have a $0.50 rack, with some decent stuff, some crappy stuff, anf occasionally some really nice things. Usually work related stuff to help poorer people have nicer interview/work clothes.

My best deal at a thrift store? I paid $15 for a HUGE Presidential/bank style desk, with the wood front, and all the drawers with the writing area that slides out. Solid cherry/mahogony colored wood, and ended up selling it (couldn't get it through the door at our new place since it is literally that big!) for $75!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,294,841 times
We check the thrift stores frequently as part of our business, but get a lot of good personal deals, too. Like the $35 Vitamix that we ended up having to sell and the Hoover FloorMate (current model is $150 at Target, this one is last year's) for $15 at the swap meet.

I agree about St. Vincent and Humane Society. Casa de los Ninos is also a good local thrift with inexpensive clothing and household items. I got 2 really nice skirts with no sign of wear for $1.50 last year. Gotta go in there again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living