Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times

Advertisements

Our "Savers" has clothing for $1.00 on Thursdays. It's regular priced the rest of the week so Thursday mornings people are lined up outside the store to get the $1.00 clothes. It's a great deal if you don't work on Thursday mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Three pairs of Dockers and Croft and Barrow trousers for $3. A pair of shorts for $1 at the local Lutheran church rummage sale. And what was really GREAT was that they were all my size AND they still had the original sales tags on them.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I work at Walmart so my choices of econimical clothes is big. Comparing prices with the thrift stores I can do just as well for brand new.
From my personal experience you really have to watch it with Walmart. I think people have this misconception that everything at Walmart is less expensive than at other places. This is simply not true, especially when it comes to food and electronics. Often times i will see that they have a really good deal on say one or two things that i regularly buy but that the other items on my list are more expensive there compared to other stores. So that more than cancels out the deals if i were to only shop there for everything. I only buy very selectively at Walmart now since i know this. I would suspect that people who go there as their one stop shop are getting ripped off overall if they were to price shop but again this could just be locally idk about other areas of the country.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
From my personal experience you really have to watch it with Walmart. I think people have this misconception that everything at Walmart is less expensive than at other places. This is simply not true, especially when it comes to food and electronics. Often times i will see that they have a really good deal on say one or two things that i regularly buy but that the other items on my list are more expensive there compared to other stores. So that more than cancels out the deals if i were to only shop there for everything. I only buy very selectively at Walmart now since i know this. I would suspect that people who go there as their one stop shop are getting ripped off overall if they were to price shop but again this could just be locally idk about other areas of the country.
I only go there for the sales with coupons and a list. The same for CVS, Walgreens, and Randall's. Most of my groceries are bought at HEB with coupons. Other than that it's the Dollar Tree and Saver's on Thursdays. I really don't use much gas because all are within a few blocks of where I live.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
That's what I found where I live. Sometimes you can get cheaper clothes new in clearance from the store than at the thrift stores. I'm not going to pay $5 for a used 4T jean, when I can get it new for $3 at Kohl's or Target.

There are some bargains, but Goodwill here has high prices.
I don't know why Goodwill has become so expensive but I suppose they have their reasons. It pays to shop around, for sure.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
That's because they realized people were buying cheap clothes, then selling them on ebay for a profit, so they thought they could make more money as well.

Exactly! Salvation Army in this area is the highest priced of all the "thrift" stores.

St. Vincent DePaul is the cheapest in our area too. They have a $0.50 rack, with some decent stuff, some crappy stuff, anf occasionally some really nice things. Usually work related stuff to help poorer people have nicer interview/work clothes.

My best deal at a thrift store? I paid $15 for a HUGE Presidential/bank style desk, with the wood front, and all the drawers with the writing area that slides out. Solid cherry/mahogony colored wood, and ended up selling it (couldn't get it through the door at our new place since it is literally that big!) for $75!
I forget about those ebay sellers. I actually have friends who do that too!

I love St. Vincent dePaul but haven't been there in a long long time. I have two days off this coming week so may scoot over the mountain to check it out.

Wow! Good deal on that desk but too bad you couldn't keep it. Sounds great!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Don't forget though that Walmart ad matches. If you find something cheaper somewhere else they WILL match that price for you. There are a few restrictions but, for the most part, it pays. I admit that, since I work there, I do 90% of my shopping there and do pretty good on getting 'deals'.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Wow! Good deal on that desk but too bad you couldn't keep it. Sounds great!
I know right? I almost cried when I had to sell it, it was so perfect and awesome. There was enough room on it to put the desktop, and still have room for textbooks, additional study materials, and doing homework. It was HUGE!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
I buy off the clearance rack. I got a very nice bra, probably 20 plus dollars for two dollars. The stuff that's worn year round, as summer clothes and then under winter clothes is usually way under priced when they discount it. As if one only wears a tank top in the summer?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I know right? I almost cried when I had to sell it, it was so perfect and awesome. There was enough room on it to put the desktop, and still have room for textbooks, additional study materials, and doing homework. It was HUGE!
I don't have room for a desk like that but it would be nice! I have my computer desk with storage on top and a file cabinet underneath. I also have a small desk and two drawer cabinet but I have my big fish tank on that. Basically I only use it for storage under the fish tank. I always wanted one of those nice big roll top desks. Maybe someday....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living