Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times

Advertisements

It's about what I earn (as an European in Europe convert in €) and I believe that if wifey worked that would make us staunchly middle class. But this sum has to be shared by a couple. Since I own my place have no car we don't smoke nor drink nor do restaurants and motgage is paid, I would say it's ok (we even manage to book far away vacations once a year in looking for bargain prices).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM

371 posts, read 941,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
In Roanoke VA, yes. In McLean VA, no.

It's all dependent on cost of living, especially housing costs...$50,000 + free housing would probably be enough anywhere in the USA.
what's an ok and average salary for a single guy, if you are living in TX, AZ, FL, NV. And how much is considered mid upper class.

that was for a single guy, how about a family of 5? thanks guys

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
I see the original poster has a status of "not a member". The other posters with the same and similar questions are also "not a member" now. (almost certainly the same person)

Frivolous posters beware!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,746,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
what's an ok and average salary for a single guy, if you are living in TX, AZ, FL, NV. And how much is considered mid upper class.

that was for a single guy, how about a family of 5? thanks guys

Well, I commented earlier in the thread that as a family of five we have lived on much less than that, in Texas, and did ok. We had "enough". Food, clothes, housing, transportation, utilities, car insurance, etc. With 50k we'd have done very well with enough money for a bit more discretionary spending, a bit more travel, etc. But then again we are frugal to begin with and we don't "need" what most seem to think they "need" (newer cars, new clothes, gadgets).

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
I live in Boston (not in the suburbs, in Boston proper) and I make FAR less than that and have plenty of discretionary income. I put at least $500 a month in savings and never have to worry about if I have enough money to go out for drinks or dinner with friends.

I think it depends on where you live, of course, but more importantly what you feel is important and what you require to be content. I prefer to live with roommates because I like the social interaction (and the cheaper rent!) and I take public transportation so no car issues. I make my food from scratch and freeze a lot of it so my food bill is fairly low. I don't have a lot of 'stuff' and like the fact that I could fit everything I own right now in a small car and leave if I wanted to. I'm planning on wwoofing at least twice a year starting next spring so there will be a lot of traveling in my future. Experiences over material possessions.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 16,089 times
Of course.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM

524 posts, read 844,140 times
Hmmm what is this wwoofing?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,919 times
See WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms and WWOOF your way around the world! - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living