Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times

Advertisements

Secretly I'm attracted to 'Frugal' women. It is one of my biggest turn-ons, to find a smart money-minded female who knows the value of a dollar, who likes to use coupons, buys clothes only when they are on sale, only likes to eat out when there's a coupon or a special going on, and only vacations when there's a deal out there.

Of course I would never reveal this to anyone I'm dating otherwise I would be kicked to the curb but I do so want to find a frugal partner!

How important is the frugal trait in a relationship for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Secretly I'm attracted to 'Frugal' women. It is one of my biggest turn-ons, to find a smart money-minded female who knows the value of a dollar, who likes to use coupons, buys clothes only when they are on sale, only likes to eat out when there's a coupon or a special going on, and only vacations when there's a deal out there.

Of course I would never reveal this to anyone I'm dating otherwise I would be kicked to the curb but I do so want to find a frugal partner!

How important is the frugal trait in a relationship for you?
It's very important. A poster in another thread recently said something like "It only takes one person to make both of you broke" and that is the truth. Since money is the #1 thing couples fight about, your relationship will go a lot better if you both have a similar approach.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
It is very important. My first marriage was to someone who had no concept of frugality. I thought I could "teach" him. Ha. Nope. He was just raised so differently, it was impossible to undo his thinking about money. His idea of being frugal was taking food along in the car for a road trip en route to a vacation destination. Sure, that is helpful, but the idea of skipping the vacation entirely because it wasn't in the budget was something he couldn't swallow. There was just a disconnect between his idea of "normal" and my idea of "normal", because of our family backgrounds (his, upper middle class, mine, blue collar/working class).. for him it was normal and mandatory to take a yearly vacation, and I spent so many hours trying to get him to understand that often the store brand was just as good as the name brand, to no avail.

He insisted on keeping financial habits from the way he'd grown up, but our income didn't support that lifestyle. It was a constant source of stress and conflict (among other issues, of course).

I am married now to someone who grew up "dirt poor" and that brings a different set of issues but my spouse understands that some of that childhood baggage is financially harmful and we work TOGETHER to make money decisions.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
It is very important. My first marriage was to someone who had no concept of frugality. I thought I could "teach" him. Ha. Nope. He was just raised so differently, it was impossible to undo his thinking about money. His idea of being frugal was taking food along in the car for a road trip en route to a vacation destination. Sure, that is helpful, but the idea of skipping the vacation entirely because it wasn't in the budget was something he couldn't swallow. There was just a disconnect between his idea of "normal" and my idea of "normal", because of our family backgrounds (his, upper middle class, mine, blue collar/working class).. for him it was normal and mandatory to take a yearly vacation, and I spent so many hours trying to get him to understand that often the store brand was just as good as the name brand, to no avail.

He insisted on keeping financial habits from the way he'd grown up, but our income didn't support that lifestyle. It was a constant source of stress and conflict (among other issues, of course).

I am married now to someone who grew up "dirt poor" and that brings a different set of issues but my spouse understands that some of that childhood baggage is financially harmful and we work TOGETHER to make money decisions.
I had a somewhat similar experience in my first serious relationship. I'm gay so we weren't married. Except I was the one from the middle/upper middle class family and he was the one from the poor family. He was accustomed to living hand to mouth and spent everything he had (and then some). I came from the family where we saved for the vacation, paid cash for modest new cars (and drove them until they weren't worth fixing), paid the house off early, etc. He would say stuff like "but we have a check coming in from X in the near future so we can spend this money now". That would drive me crazy. Either that money was already spent by the time we got it (at best) or the check would come late (or not at all) and we'd be further in the hole.

I also thought I could teach my bf...Never happened. 20+ years later, he's in his early 60s now living like a college student on very little money and in poor health. It's very frustrating for me to witness, but he just wouldn't change his approach to money (as well as a lot of other self defeating behaviors/thinking). It's sort of like watching someone who is an alcoholic or drug addict. There's really nothing you can do for them if they don't want to change.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I had a somewhat similar experience in my first serious relationship. I'm gay so we weren't married. Except I was the one from the middle/upper middle class family and he was the one from the poor family. He was accustomed to living hand to mouth and spent everything he had (and then some). I came from the family where we saved for the vacation, paid cash for modest new cars (and drove them until they weren't worth fixing), paid the house off early, etc. He would say stuff like "but we have a check coming in from X in the near future so we can spend this money now". That would drive me crazy. Either that money was already spent by the time we got it (at best) or the check would come late (or not at all) and we'd be further in the hole.

I also thought I could teach my bf...Never happened. 20+ years later, he's in his early 60s now living like a college student on very little money and in poor health. It's very frustrating for me to witness, but he just wouldn't change his approach to money (as well as a lot of other self defeating behaviors/thinking). It's sort of like watching someone who is an alcoholic or drug addict. There's really nothing you can do for them if they don't want to change.
How funny you gave those examples, because in my marriage now (I am married now to a woman), it's more like the stuff you mentioned. She never had a "pot to pee in" (as my Grandma would say) growing up so when we have money she just wants to go wild. I understand the temptation but she has learned how to find a balance between a small "treat" and blowing every extra penny. It was much worse when we first got together (a decade ago). I could see where she picked up the behaviors though; her mother lived paycheck to paycheck but she didn't need to.. she just spent every single penny, figuring she'd get a check next week anyway, and when she lost her long term job unexpectedly she had NO savings and couldn't pay her rent. When my wife was a kid though, her mother didn't work at all and they never had anything aside from what they got in food stamps.

Some people are willing to change, I guess, and some aren't. I am not some sort of saint with money but I see myself as somewhere in the middle, with regard to attitude, between my 1st spouse and my 2nd.

My ex husband is now in his early 50s and living off of his parents. He doesn't live with them, because that would be "embarrassing" for them, but he lives in an apartment that they pay for and he has still never had to really cut back or adapt to a different lifestyle. Every family handles money differently, but in his family, any problems are "handled" by throwing money at the issue which explains why they 'handle' his issues this way I guess.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
its not necessarily important as long as i get to control the money and we set limits.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not necessarily important as long as i get to control the money and we set limits.
One person controlling all the money also has its negatives. It can create resentment. Plus, if the one handling money dies or there's a divorce the other one is left clueless. Far from ideal, IMO.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,609 times
Somewhat. I would like the person to be frugal but perhaps not as frugal as I am or more frugal than I am. There are days when I'm wondering if I'm just too cheap or coming off as too cheap. I don't want us to be a miserly couple who never have time or money we're willing to spend for any fun because we're so busy hauling shower water (navy or peace corp bucket bath only!) from the tub to water our garden where we toil 4 hours a day for all our food. Sensible with money but not too much. I rather be the overly cheap one.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
My SO might spend vastly more than me on clothing but doesn't mind living in a modest house and driving old but functional cars.. then again, my extra spending on food pretty much equals her excess spending on clothing so we're pretty much in the same league frugally. As long as they're ok with the overall lifestyle your frugal spending brings, it should be ok.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Pretty important. I have always worked in professions that tend to be lower paying (human services/eduation/social work-type fields), so I've always had to be conscious of how to stretch a dollar so it goes the furthest. Somebody who has made a habit of living similarly simply has more in common with me, values-wise, than somebody who hasn't had this as a part of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living