Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times

Advertisements

Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale. Prices are supposed to be super low. Great for finding a cheap end table, used car, or something to flip for profit on Ebay.

So anyone else annoyed when you find what looks like the score of the century on something (like vintage electronics or a crate of vinyl records for instance), you email the seller, and you get a response to the effect of "I got a ton of inquiries and discovered that I way underpriced this item" and then you go back and find that the price was doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or more from what it originally was.

Anyone else hate it when these guys "get wise" before you are able to make your score?

Is there any way to legally force them to honor the original listing which was in place at the time I sent an inquiry-backed with time stamped screen shot? I mean there's hundreds of dollars at stake here. If the seller f-ed up, that's HIS fault. No? I demand my score. What recourse do I have? Or since it's CL, am I just SOL? The item is now priced in line with what it goes for on Ebay. But I thought that the only place one could get away with charging Ebay prices is on...Ebay. Every place else...CL, the thrift shops, yard sales...should be priced at....CL, thrift shop, and yard sale prices. Which means around one-twentieth of Ebay.

Can anyone help? Or at lease share your own stories of missed scores.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale. Prices are supposed to be super low. Great for finding a cheap end table, used car, or something to flip for profit on Ebay.
I never thought Craigslist was supposed to be "cheap." People sell cars, boats, houses. Why would they be discounting them?

The cost of USING craigslist is supposed to be cheap and probably is... unless you try to hook up with someone there... Then it will definitely be expensive.

As to changing their prices... it's their stuff, they can sell it for whatever they want. There is no contract there that I know of that says "no backsies."

Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 PM

807 posts, read 898,675 times
Quote:

So anyone else annoyed when you find what looks like the score of the century on something (like vintage electronics or a crate of vinyl records for instance), you email the seller, and you get a response to the effect of "I got a ton of inquiries and discovered that I way underpriced this item" and then you go back and find that the price was doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or more from what it originally was.

Anyone else hate it when these guys "get wise" before you are able to make your score?

Is there any way to legally force them to honor the original listing which was in place at the time I sent an inquiry-backed with time stamped screen shot? I mean there's hundreds of dollars at stake here. If the seller f-ed up, that's HIS fault. No? I demand my score. What recourse do I have? Or since it's CL, am I just SOL? The item is now priced in line with what it goes for on Ebay. But I thought that the only place one could get away with charging Ebay prices is on...Ebay. Every place else...CL, the thrift shops, yard sales...should be priced at....CL, thrift shop, and yard sale prices. Which means around one-twentieth of Ebay.

You would begrudge an individual a higher return on their sale to the extent that you're looking for a way to force them to sell below market value, just because you wanted to take advantage of their ignorance? "Business ethics is an oxymoron" indeed.

Apologies if I my statement is rude but that's what your posted complaint boils down to.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt though, if you meant that the seller never had any intention of selling at a fair price to begin with and you think you've been bait-and-switched on prices, I greatly sympathize but would still say that there isn't any recourse for forcing a sale either. The seller himself would be taking a chance on never making a sale with that tactic, which obviously is harmful to their own interest. It's unfortunate whenever a sucker overpays and helps a dirty sales tactic succeed.

Assuming the seller really was being dishonest, you can try flagging the post on Craigslist.

While we're here, the flip side of Craigslist sales is also pretty common: Honest sellers often complain about posting a firm price and then getting contact after contact trying to low-ball them, often by ridiculous amounts.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
No.

I do get annoyed when I'm selling something (which I don't do anymore), agree on the price, and suddenly they want a different deal. Last thing was a cell phone I was selling for $100 when I upgraded. It was a good price, worth $100-150. We agree on the price and time/place of the sale. Next thing you know he wants me to drive 20 miles away to meet him. No. Then he wants $20 off because it will cost him gas. No. Then he shows up and only has $90 on him and does the SOB I drove all the way out here story. Nope.

Now, if I'd actually gone to pick up the item after agreeing on the price and they did, then I would be annoyed.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I sold baby clothes a few months ago. They were almost new,name brand and worth all together maybe $1000 dollars. I listed 80 pieces for 80 dollars.Not until I listed it for 45 bucks someone contacted me and asked me to discount it some more. Cheap morons.

Craigslist is not an online yard sale! Are you new to Craigslist or to selling in general? Some deals are great, others not so great. E bay is the same way except now you have to pay seller fees.
As a seller you are not obligated to sell your item at all and can change your mind at any moment. What or who made you believe otherwise?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,350 times
I feel like Oprah, "you get a rep! You get a rep! Reps for everybooooooooody " who's replied so far. Really, OP, where did you get the idea that CL was equivalent to a yard sale/ giveaway?

Quote:
While we're here, the flip side of Craigslist sales is also pretty common: Honest sellers often complain about posting a firm price and then getting contact after contact trying to low-ball them, often by ridiculous amounts.
oh yes, those who reply, "I'll take xxx off your hands for $20" when you're asking $100.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
NOPE, sell it for as MUCH as you can get for it.

A simple listing on CL is not a legally binding contract.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No.

I do get annoyed when I'm selling something (which I don't do anymore), agree on the price, and suddenly they want a different deal. Last thing was a cell phone I was selling for $100 when I upgraded. It was a good price, worth $100-150. We agree on the price and time/place of the sale. Next thing you know he wants me to drive 20 miles away to meet him. No. Then he wants $20 off because it will cost him gas. No. Then he shows up and only has $90 on him and does the SOB I drove all the way out here story. Nope.

Now, if I'd actually gone to pick up the item after agreeing on the price and they did, then I would be annoyed.
Thats my experience with Craigslist..

I'll list an item on there for $100 that I have listed on Amazon for $250.. I can go that low because I'm not paying the commission, nor shipping it, and I would rather have the cash, then wait a few weeks to get paid..

I get emails constantly from people asking me if I'll take $80 or sometimes even $40.. I had a $1600 music keyboard listed on Craigslist for $800, guy emailed and offered me $200, (brand new, factory sealed box), which I sold on Amazon for $1197.

I get tired of dealing with people who try to lowball the hell out of an item on Craigslist thats already at a great price. I get people that drive 90 minutes sometimes to pickup items while the guy 5 minutes down the road whines non stop about the price or the distance.. drives me nuts

Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
If you buy it (ie give the seller the money and take possession of the item) before they realize their mistake, they can't come back later and say "but it was worth more, I want you to pay me more for it". In the same fashion, if they realize it was worth more BEFORE you buy it, they can raise the price.

Until the purchase takes place, everything is negotiable. They could list it for $80 one day, then $20 for 5 minutes, then hold firm at $70. If you didn't buy it during the 5 minutes it was $20, too bad for you.

By the way, this mindset almost makes this come across as a troll post. Ditch the entitlement complex ("I demand my score") and you'll go further in life.

The only thing I use Craigslist for is for advertising rentals and houses for sale, so I disagree completely that the whole point of CL is for people to pick up deals and take things off other's hands.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
Quote:

ya huh....

so they find out the true price of course they wont sell it to you...
NO DUH.

stupid people telling the sellers the price is the problem then.
too bad.

go on ebay if you want a guarantee.

if they do not sell and send item they get a rep hit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living