Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:14 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times

Advertisements

Alabama seems to be the winner! Not to mention the great college football team, Roll Tide!

I appreciate this thread because there are often lots of local taxes tacked on so to see the actual amounts paid is helpful.

We bought our house in 2008, it was a foreclosure and was a smoking deal at $420,000 for a spacious 865 square feet. Before you totally question my sanity, we live one mile from the ocean in Sunny San Diego. You know perfect climate, most of the year. Prior sale prices for homes this size in the area were $580,000. Such a deal.

Our property taxes just hit $5,000 per year. You pay a flat 1% of purchase price in California but then you pay a bunch of fees and school bonds depending on where you live. The extras added $800 to my bill.

California goes up a maximum of 2% a year. But a very expensive school bond that the voter approved last fall made my bill jump $270 plus the 2%. 2% of $5,000 equals $100 per year so in ten years I am figuring my taxes will exceed $6,500 with the extras perhaps $7,000. That ocean is costing me a lot of money. I see it for about 3 seconds on my drive to/from work.

We plan to retire to Arizona and my goal is to have property taxes under $2,000. I can drive to the ocean in less than 7 hours from most parts of Arizona.

Alabama is looking pretty good too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Just under $500 a year. I'm in a very low COL area (just north of Flint, MI, where it is semi-rural.) I do get the homestead exemption.
I have a tiny house, about 700 square feet. It was assessed last year at $14,800. And I own four city lots which come to just under a half-acre. Nothing fancy but I have no mortgage.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
18K on Long Island, NY (for a 1800 sq ft ranch - 3br/2ba on 1 acre). Most of our neighbors are between 20-30k plus.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:34 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I pay $4,000 a year on a house assessed at $105,000 (full market value 100% assessment). I live in Central New York. This includes county/town/school taxes. Outrageous in my opinion, except I never hear anyone really complain about the high taxes in my community (or online in various forums). I am guessing it is because most people 1) are government workers; 2) are exempt; 3) don't pay.

How much do others pay in property taxes a year? I am planning to move soon and I am looking for an area of the country that has lower property taxes and less snow than 120 inches a year we get in CNY.
Is there a tax break on real estate for government workers? Please do provide a link.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I never said that I didn't pay property tax
Our property taxes are low enough here to be a non-issue.
What does your tax rate come out to... relative to FMV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Just under $500 a year.
tiny house, about 700 square feet. It was assessed last year at $14,800.
$500 vs $14,800 is a rather high rate (3.378%)

Quote:
And I own four city lots
Included with the same $500?
What is the FMV of the whole assembly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
...a smoking deal at $420,000
Our property taxes just hit $5,000 per year.
That number (1.19% ) is more than fair.
Or do you really think that you deserve a lower rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
$18,000 on Long Island... Most of our neighbors are between 20-30k plus.
vs what FMV on the properties?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:37 PM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Is there a tax break on real estate for government workers? Please do provide a link.
Government employees make good money and they know which side their bread is buttered. Meaning they don't complain about high property taxes as they can afford the outrageous property taxes which funds government salaries and benefits. No government employee wants to lose his/her job because the local government decides to cut property taxes by eliminating government jobs and/or pensions and benefits.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Government employees make good money...
Since when?

To some it might appear that they do...
but that's only in comparison to how the rest have been forced/willing to accept less and less and less.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:48 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Government employees make good money and they know which side their bread is buttered. Meaning they don't complain about high property taxes as they can afford the outrageous property taxes which funds government salaries and benefits. No government employee wants to lose his/her job because the local government decides to cut property taxes by eliminating government jobs and/or pensions and benefits.
Sure, tell that a GS 4 or 5 especially after the recent furlough. BTW - why do you not get a government job, make good money and know where your bread is buttered?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
You forgot to mention that in CA, due to prop 13, once you buy, your taxes can only go up 2% per year. That's 2% additional tax, assuming you make no taxable enhancements to the property. There are some senior seniors living in LA paying $500 per year on a $500,000 house!

Unfortunately, the state is forced to push most of the tax burden onto income tax. So CA might be a good place to retire young, where you know you'll be living in the same house for the rest of your life... but you don't want to get a W2 here.
Not exactly true...

Property tax can exceed Prop 13 with voter approval and only 55% approval is required for school infrastructure...

A family member owns a strip of land that is 10' wide and 100' long... it is a driveway and value at $2,000

The Prop 13 tax is $20 and the 26 additional voter approved assessments another $700... so $720 for a strip of land valued at $2,000

Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sure, tell that a GS 4 or 5 especially after the recent furlough. BTW - why do you not get a government job, make good money and know where your bread is buttered?
NYS/county employees make really good money (the state I live in and pay outrageous property taxes). There is no refuting that they have a good salary (I didn't say they were millionaires) for what they do, they have good benefits and pensions.

You can go to this site if you have a load of time to kill:

SeeThroughNY :: Home

My jaw dropped on how much more NYS government employees make compared to what I and other private employees make in NYS.

Anyhoo, you are right, I wish I did have a good paying government job, unfortunately not all people can have government jobs, they don't give them out like candy on Halloween. So until I know which side my bread is buttered I need to move someplace that has cheaper property taxes, as I cannot afford what I am paying currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living