Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Please, please, please, *do not* "fly high". Put your "car payment" in savings once it's paid off and don't touch the money until you can pay cash for another vehicle that you will keep for a while. Do you want to pay interest your whole life or earn it?
You can fly high with an extra $457 in the bank! I don't mean I will be going around buying up fancy clothes and such. Most likely that extra money will end up going into the mortgage if I have one by then. Even with my car payment I am saving a ton of money now, so it isn't like I need to save much more liquid cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
But do you at least admit that anyone who can afford car payments just to have a warranty can afford to escape the debt trap and pay cash, still always having a warranty? That's all I'm arguing. My comment is only meant to rebut the "car payments are necessary to have a warranty" argument.
ill agree that having a warranty is probably not a good reason to buy a new car. ive never needed to use a warranty, I always feel like they are going to claim that whatever problem it is isn't covered. but in any case, im pretty sure you can always buy a warranty.

you went into a whole scenario that seemed unrelated. my philosophy is to finance everything, put nothing down. id finance a chocolate bar over 60 months if I could. the longer money is in my pocket, the better.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Our last three cars have been 0% financing. Heck yes we financed them!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
yeah, I currently have a '11 enclave and '13 forester and both of them 0% 60 month financing (0 down). every payment knocks off an equal amount of principal from the balance. ive had the enclave 2 years 3 months and the car is already worth significantly more than the loan balance. you can bet that ill never pay a penny more than the required monthly payment.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I'd do the same with 0%.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ill agree that having a warranty is probably not a good reason to buy a new car. ive never needed to use a warranty, I always feel like they are going to claim that whatever problem it is isn't covered. but in any case, im pretty sure you can always buy a warranty.

you went into a whole scenario that seemed unrelated. my philosophy is to finance everything, put nothing down. id finance a chocolate bar over 60 months if I could. the longer money is in my pocket, the better.
You are missing the point. While I agree that the warranty doesn't justify a new car, the point I am making is that even if it did, you can still buy new cars without "payments".

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'd do the same with 0%.
Why not pay cash and buy call options instead? It's a much less risky way of, in effect, "borrowing money to invest in the stock market".

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You are missing the point. While I agree that the warranty doesn't justify a new car, the point I am making is that even if it did, you can still buy new cars without "payments".
I guess I am missing the point because I got the feeling your last post you were looking for agreement that there is no need to buy a new car in order to have a warranty. I missed the part where you mentioned the debt trap and paying with cash. in that case, no paying with cash to avoid debt isn't a good idea. its a bad idea. if you buy a car and don't have "payments" then either your credit is bad so you would have to pay a high interest rate or you are doing something wrong. that means that if you pay $3k for a car and you don't finance it, you are doing something wrong.

debt is good. it reduces risk and helps you increase your net worth.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
what? i bought a new honda last year and i think the total price was like $19k. my payments are less than $300 a month. i never wanted or cared about having a brand new car but with the lower interest rates and warranty it just made financial sense. i have purchased many old and cheap used cars in the past but the breaking down and the repair bills were not worth the hassle, esp now that i can afford the $300 a month for something more reliable. i had almost enough cash to purchase the car new but then i would have no cash! i'd rather pay the interest on the loan then have no cash in case of another emergency. and a car is a necessity, esp in locations without reliable public transportation. its not like i can just prolong the purchase until i save up the cash. i need a car to get to work every day. my previous car would not pass state inspection and would have required thousands in work to get it to that point.

the problem is that truly reliable used cars just aren't for sale these days, esp at good prices. plenty of people have stories of this or that 10-15 year old car that runs amazingly, but how many of those cars are for sale for $1k? none...no one is selling them.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
We have 3 vehicles. ZERO car payments. Does not help your credit score by not owing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living