Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:50 AM

121 posts, read 165,042 times

Advertisements

You can afford the trip, you apparently have the time to go, and you have someone to go with that speaks the language and can show you around. Do you want to go?

I'm fairly frugal, and one major benefit to that is when these opportunities to do something you really want to do come up, is that you can do it. I am a firm believer in living well within my means, but will spend (up to a point of course) on things I really want to do, I love to travel so I wouldn't even hesitate if an opportunity like this came up, and I had the time and it would not cause a financial hardship for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Go. The reason you are frugal is to afford to do something like this, apparently a once in a lifetime trip for you. And you say you love food...OMG this is one of the world's great cuisines, there are streets full of nothing but pubs & izakayas with all sorts of yummy specialties. Just do some homework now to find the way to do this cheaply as possible once you get there since Japan, especially Tokyo is very expensive if you aren't careful. But you can get the info to do it smart before you leave.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
If you have the money for the trip and have a comfortable amount of savings, the question I'd ask myself is "How bad do I want this?" You seem to be hesitating. Is it really the large amount of money or are you sort of neutral on going?

The trip itself is more than just an output of money. It is a once in a lifetime chance to spend time with your brother doing something you may never have an opportunity to do again. The question is it worth it to you? Is there an alternative that would make you just as happy for less.

We are doing a family trip to Hawaii this summer. Neat trip, but honestly, there are a bunch of other places I'd rather visit for that kind of money. What made me change my mind is that my husband really wants to go and my oldest child starts high school. He has school commitments that start mid-summer. In four short years, my oldest child will be off to college. We may never get the chance to have a major vacation as a family like this again. Looking at it like this, yes, the money is worth it to me.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I consider my frugality allows me to do things I want to do when the opportunity presents which I might otherwise not be able to afford.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 12,203 times
I guess you should go for it .The world is much more fun with people of varying interests and beliefs. My life and experiences have been enriched so much because of the numerous places I've traveled so far.Every journey you take is a new discovery

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM

658 posts, read 847,975 times
I would go.
It will be a great bonding experience for you two, you will have a willing (and free) translator, and you will save money with lodging with your brother going half. You will also have peace of mind about who you're traveling half way around the world with which is invaluable.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 PM

108 posts, read 150,664 times
They say there are no such things as stupid questions but this comes very borderline close. You have the time, cash and a person to show you around. You would be an absolute fool to say no in this situation. The money in the bank is not worth as much as a once in a lifetime experience as visiting another country. Honestly, how much is the money worth to you when you are 80 and senile with no means to use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living