Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM

40 posts, read 36,987 times

Advertisements

Are we buying too much?[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"][/color]

I find many times I buy things I do not need. I use to purchase items on the basis that they are new on the market and I need to be in on the trend, then I put them away in a closet when I get home and forget about them. Some people may or may not agree with my feelings on this matter. However, researchers say that instead of making us more satisfied, they cause us to experience high levels of stress and may lead to unhappiness. So then, why are we buying so much? Especially some of us who are preparing for retirement in a few years, is it wise to accumulate large amounts of unnecessary items we may never benefit from?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 PM

22,625 posts, read 47,766,032 times
We?
Sounds like you are unhappy with the amount of your purchases.

I see no need to stockpile - or even hoard - things for future use.
I have never had things in my closets that I have forgotten about.... I am not about to start now.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeningview View Post

I find many times I buy things I do not need. I use to purchase items on the basis that they are new on the market and I need to be in on the trend, then I put them away in a closet when I get home and forget about them. Some people may or may not agree with my feelings on this matter. However, researchers say that instead of making us more satisfied, they cause us to experience high levels of stress and may lead to unhappiness. So then, why are we buying so much? Especially some of us who are preparing for retirement in a few years, is it wise to accumulate large amounts of unnecessary items we may never benefit from?

What do you think?
I do not see the benefit of having something that you are going to put in the closet and never use.

I just posted earlier about the brand new never used rice cooker I have sitting on my shelf. This evening I made rice for a dish and what did I do? I got out my pot and cooked the rice in boiling water so why is it that I have a rice cooker?

I am in the slow process of cleaning out and decluttering our how and it amazes me the things I am finding that I thought I needed and were such a good bargain.
Not much of a bargain when we are donating these things and not getting any financial return on them.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM

16,400 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not see the benefit of having something that you are going to put in the closet and never use.

I just posted earlier about the brand new never used rice cooker I have sitting on my shelf. This evening I made rice for a dish and what did I do? I got out my pot and cooked the rice in boiling water so why is it that I have a rice cooker?
Last month, I finally gave my little brother the Cuisinart food processor that my mother gave my wife and I as a wedding gift. I have used it less than ten times. It was easier to chop with a knife than to clean the Cuisinart. He was overjoyed and I freed up a lot of counter space.

He also received two Asian cookbooks that I never used.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,069,197 times
All depends on how much money you'll be receiving while retired as far as how much you want to spend while still working.

Knowing that s/s would be my main income, five years before retiring I adjusted my budget according to the estimated amount of my s/s check. That way, once I did retire, the 'no-paycheck shock' didn't send me into a tailspin.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,504,119 times
I don't ever see the benefit of buying something because "I might use it someday" or, as you say, because "it is new on the market and I need to be in on the trend".

I have 2 criteria for buying something:

1. I need it for a purpose
2. I don't need it, but will get enjoyment from it (whether it is a big screen tv, or a candy bar)

I don't even have a smart phone. I use a prepaid flip phone, because for $100/year, it does everything I need. I sit at a computer all day at work and have a computer at home, why do I need a computer on my phone. Hubby has one if we are traveling or something.

Like you said, too much stuff makes me feel stressed. I tend to get rid of things I haven't used in a year or so.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,361,137 times
I generally don't buy things I don't need or want. I buy if I feel they will provide me some purpose or pleasure. I do not need or want a lot, and so I do not have a lot.

From your post it sounds like you buy things to be "on trend", which to me means you are looking to feel accepted or approved of by others. If you feel that is a worthy purpose to spend money on, then fine. But it sounds like it is making you unhappy.

Perhaps rather than trying to seek approval and follow the crowd, give yourself your own approval and ask yourself what do YOU want? When you start giving yourself what YOU want, you will be much happier.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,262 times
The general rule here is that, once I buy something new, at least one thing must go! Sometimes two. Whether it's donated or sold on ebay, it's outta here. I just don't have the space.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,450,588 times
Quote:
I find many times I buy things I do not need. I use to purchase items on the basis that they are new on the market and I need to be in on the trend,
Unasked for advice:
You need to get rid of the "Keeping Up With The Jones" attitude.

Figure out what your lowest retirement income is going to be and start living on that amount.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I have to say -- I thought about your post a lot during my day... and it sort of upset me.

I wasn't raised to go out and buy stuff to stick in a closet. I can't imagine anything more wasteful. If you are doing that, I want you to after reading this -- go find that stuff and TAKE IT BACK. In most stores they can find the receipt for you if you don't have it anymore.

Next -- when you see something you think you'd like to buy -- DON'T. Unless you are shopping at consignment stores or Salvation Army or a flea market, there is pretty much NOTHING that won't be there the next time you go -- OR you can find it online.

If you have a phone that can take a photo of it, take a picture. Use that picture to imagine that product in your life -- if it's clothing, where would you wear it, what would it go with. Jewelry - same thing. If it's a table or chair, get the dimensions and make a newspaper template by using masking tape and cutting the paper down to the right dimensions to place it around the house to try it out that way.

Really think about it. Then, if you must have it go back and buy it.

Jeez --when my mother, the frugal Queen died -- there wasn't a thing in her closet that didn't match, that couldn't be dressed up or down. And all the buttons were sewn on tight and the stuff was pressed and hung. And when she cooked, every scrap was used up somehow.

And I looked for months for the perfect coffee table. I didn't want any old one -- I wanted the RIGHT one. I finally found one -- and it was a steal!

And third, most importantly. STOP SHOPPING FOR ENTERTAINMENT. Get a hobby -- several hobbies. I cook, I crochet and and I quilt -- I'm not the best at it, but I really enjoy it, and I sew. I do genealogy, and I read history (Can't wait for the Jones Tudor book to come out!) Granted there's shopping involved with these hobbies, but not the all day in the mall buying crap kind of shopping...

I don't mean to make you feel badly, and I hope you don't, but even people who are well off don't want to waste money -- so neither should you. And frankly -- on this board, you're preaching to the choir here... we all find ways to make our dollars last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living