Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

I stock-piled to an extent.

Not too long after I got on the internet, I read a woman lamenting that when she and her hubby moved to Florida, she got rid of all her craft supplies. Now (or then, rather) she couldn't afford to buy any more. I thought-that's not happening to me.
I have oodles of cross stitch fabric and a ton embroidery thread of various kinds.

Just looking at it makes my imagination run rampant!

But that's my only stash stuff. No fancy electronics, closet full of unworn clothes, even got rid of most of my hippos. That wasn't easy!

Retired now-I may resort to a mac and cheese/peanut butter sandwich diet but I will keep stitching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I try to have at least one backup of each item in case I can't get to the store or they run out of
an item I want....I make sure to have cold meds, cough syrup etc. that we may need If we're sick.
With coupons I have a lot of shampoo, bodywash, toothpaste etc.
I realize now that our kids and grandkids do not want my Yankee candles or knick knacks. I still
go to garage sales and find items for cheap that I can donate later without having spent a lot of
money to buy.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
We started downsizing the minute we were offered a chance to move. Still doing it. I had to stock back up on pantry and meds to a two week stash because I got sick and had to go shopping even though I felt like crap and didn't want to drive.

Buying stuff for no reason has to be feeding some sort of emotion. Might want to seek help.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Buying stuff for no reason has to be feeding some sort of emotion. Might want to seek help.
This is what I'm thinking. OP, I think you're trying to fill a void in your life with buying things. It doesn't work. Figure out what the void is and find more constructive ways to fill it (volunteer work, meditation, prayer, exercise, whatever...anything that doesn't involve spending money on goods/services you don't need).

I find just going to the store only to buy thing I need helps a lot. Shopping should not be a form of recreation.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
There are a few things that can make sense to buy before they are needed, but there are criteria.
1. You (generally) have to be at your retirement place to avoid schlepping.
2. It has to be something you really will use.
3. It can't be anything with a short lifespan - especially electronics or certain foodstuffs or fashion clothing.
4. Use of the item will SAVE you money in the long run.
5. It makes more sense if it is an item that will increase in cost or have unwanted "upgrades" in the future.
6. The price has to be really good.

A rice cooker would be a poor choice, a quality hammer a better one, and so on.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM

40 posts, read 36,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
All depends on how much money you'll be receiving while retired as far as how much you want to spend while still working.

Knowing that s/s would be my main income, five years before retiring I adjusted my budget according to the estimated amount of my s/s check. That way, once I did retire, the 'no-paycheck shock' didn't send me into a tailspin.
Good for you Katie45.

That's what I should have done three years ago.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
it's never too late, OP. Search Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 PM

40 posts, read 36,882 times
I appreciate everyone's input and some of us can certainly benefit from it. Not intended to offend anyone.

TO TALLYSMOM,

I don't feel bad. I actually appreciate your response to my question, there are no ifs or buts about it, you are a practical person. We all need to take this situation seriously, some of us can make jokes about it or even call the person crazy, there is major hoarding in this society whether we believe it or not, have you ever watched a video about "Hoarding" on TV? Some people are lonely, yes, may be due to a major loss in their lives or maybe related to depression, anxiety or just the fear of losing control.

This post arise from a magazine article I read about "Why Do We Buy"? It shows that we can protect ourselves from becoming victims of clever marketers by putting our emotions aside, and comparing marketing promises with reality. As our number of possessions increases, our quality of life can actually decrease. Stress levels rise because of pressures from debt, and there is less time for family and friends. The article also shows that few people will admit that they make purchases to impress others. Just food for thought.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I enjoy nice things and have no problem spending money but it has to be for the right thing. Working from home my wardrobe is basically two dresses for cold and two for warm weather. Do I need four bowls for the KitchenAid - yes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living