Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

253 posts, read 377,986 times

Advertisements

To me, a pet is beneficial to good health. There are plenty of studies that show that there is a link between the two. I suppose that you could say that having a pet is like having a health insurance policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 PM

207 posts, read 445,250 times
A great way to have animals in your life frugally is to foster. We have 2 adopted and foster. The rescue pays everything including food. Yes it is hard when they leave but
You have the satisfaction of helping a animal get a good home and get to love them while you have
Them. People say to
Me oh I have too big a heart to foster, I couldn't let them go. My response is none of us know how long we have on earth it take a bigger heart to love and let go.
As far as the cost of my adopted. It is really my only hobby and I do
Everything to care for them but in a frugal manner. They bring me love and happiness and they get me exercise everyday, plus we do a lot of social activities with our group as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,065 times
Does frugal mean to live your life spending the least amount of money possible, no matter what?

My dog is worth every penny. Just the walks we take are worth the money I spend on him.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
I really doubt it. My dog probably costs about $1000 a year including food and vet.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,189 times
If you invested that money instead and got a 7% return, it would amount to around $33k after 17 years (the lifespan of a typical pet). I wonder if people of modest means are aware of the opportunity costs involved with having pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I really doubt it. My dog probably costs about $1000 a year including food and vet.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I have a 19 year old cat who will be 20 in October. I think over that whole period of time I spent maybe $3500 and $1500 of it was recently when I had some dental work done.

He's worth every penny and more.
My thoughts exactly when I had mine. I always found comfort in pets when I was going through rough times and depressed and also in general. I couldn't afford to care for a pet in my current financial state. I usually just put food out for the strays which for me makes up for not having one of my own.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM

323 posts, read 499,435 times
A little bitty dog does not eat as much as a big huge dog.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 PM

306 posts, read 545,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I'm curious as to how the frugal crowd feels about dogs, cats and the like. I don't have pets now nor do I plan on it. First, they do not fit in well with my career, but secondly, and mainly, I think they are a huge waste of money. I'd much rather save the $800 a year and invest it. I read that it costs a person up to $15k in expenses over the life of a typical pet.

Maybe in my retirement years if I am all alone I will consider it. When I was growing up we had cats; even now my folks have like seven of them. It gets to be an issue because it can be hard to find a sitter so they rarely vacation together.
PLEASE DON'T GET A PET, NOT NOW AND NOT IN YOUR "RETIREMENT YEARS." People like you shouldn't have pets. If you question whether a pet is a waste of money, then the answer is yes they are a waste of money FOR YOU.

Pets are wonderful and give most people lots of pleasure. They can lower your blood pressure, they can make you smile when your day has been crappy, and they're the most loyal friends and family and reward people a thousand times over.

But nope, you shouldn't have pets. Ever.

PS. I chose to have pets over kids. I'm thrilled about my decision every single day.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 PM

306 posts, read 545,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
What homeless have are known as Pity Pooches. There is even one around here that holds a anything helps good bless sign in his mouth.
Not true. Sure some may do that, but do you know that there are homeless people who are homeless because they choose not to give up their pets ? There are people who could easily be accommodated in shelters or in public housing that doesn't allow pets, but they choose to live on the streets so that they can keep their beloved pets.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
A little bitty dog does not eat as much as a big huge dog.
True! However, vet bills don't differentiate between large and small pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living