Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
To save water take a bath in the same water your wife used. Then use that bath water to fill your toilet tank for flushing...........
How do you keep it warm? I have to get out of the bath tub when the water gets too cold to sit in (I like my bath water outrageously hot).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Your friends save their plastic shopping bags for you (I use them for packing for shipping) and you save coupons for them.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:50 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
You rinse out floss, an re-ruse it, over and over again!

I keep 2 urinals near my bedside (been doing it for many years now) and empty the contents into the toilet in the morning! Saves on the water bill!

I once knew a man who made the rounds every morning, collecting used coffee grounds, to be re-used in his coffee maker!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking.

I had a couch that I boughtin 1983 at a used furniture store for $163. I used it up until 2010 when I got another couch second hand. I figure it will last me for at least 30 more years.

Mattresses, on the other hand. You need to get new ones when the old ones peter out. Otherwise you get a sore back.

20yrsinBranson
I still own, and use, a mattress set I bought 17 years ago! It's still in brand new condition but then I'm pretty small, 95#, flip them often and keep them clean. Also have always kept a mattress cover on it. I paid $100 for the set when a couple bought another home and a bigger bed. The set was six months old when I bought it and I'm the ONLY person who's ever slept on them since I bought them. After my divorce, of course. Oh wait...I think my daughter slept in my bed a couple of nights when she house sat for me. lol

You know those pants/skirt hangers you get when you buy clothes? I have friends who keep those, cut off the clips and use them for bag clips. Is that frugal or cheap?? lol

Old 09-11-2014, 09:05 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
When you've taken to shopping at the used meat shop!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
You keep your pillows for too long!

I was having some bad allergy problems last Spring, went to the Dr., and he asked me often I changed pillows. Well, well, well, the stack of feather pillows stemmed from garage sales some 20-30 years ago.

So! I threw them all out and bought a stack of cheapie pillows from Wal-Mart at $2.50 each and I do believe it's helped my allergies.

I have a friend who tosses her pillows out every 2 years and gets new ones.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 AM

95 posts, read 296,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I was having some bad allergy problems last Spring, went to the Dr., and he asked me often I changed pillows. Well, well, well, the stack of feather pillows stemmed from garage sales some 20-30 years ago.

So! I threw them all out and bought a stack of cheapie pillows from Wal-Mart at $2.50 each and I do believe it's helped my allergies.

Im chuckling over this^^^ because recently hubby said his pillows are to old and to flat soo I shoved 3 flat pillows in 1 pillowcase and he had his plump pillow...I also save blankets that are threadbare and sew two together and wala still comfy and warm, they dont usually look very attractive but at my age whose gonna see them.hehe

Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM

223 posts, read 300,241 times
Default Cheapskate

I know an older lady (lived through the Depression era) who actually does this: She buys boxes of blueberries at the market. She puts the bad ones in an empty blueberry carton and stores it in the freezer. When she get a full box, she returns it to the market.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

My husband and I have two pillows we inherited from his brother when he left the country in 2002. He likely purchased them when he moved to the US in 1998. We LOVE them and we've tried to find the exact brand and make. At least we found the brand, but they just don't seem to be as good as ours. I've collected two 20% off coupons from Bed, Bath and Beyond and am hoping to buy those expensive theraputic ones in the coming months. At least I'm trying to convince myself I need to buy new ones.... but I just really, really like my pillow.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM

223 posts, read 300,241 times
Default Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My husband and I have two pillows we inherited from his brother when he left the country in 2002. He likely purchased them when he moved to the US in 1998. We LOVE them and we've tried to find the exact brand and make. At least we found the brand, but they just don't seem to be as good as ours. I've collected two 20% off coupons from Bed, Bath and Beyond and am hoping to buy those expensive theraputic ones in the coming months. At least I'm trying to convince myself I need to buy new ones.... but I just really, really like my pillow.
If you have a pillow you like, I would just keep it...no matter how old! I'm always looking for a pillow that is the right one for my neck. I don't know how many I've tried with no luck. I think somebody should open a business where they take an impression of your neck and make the perfect pillow for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living