Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM

293 posts, read 309,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I demand my score. What recourse do I have?
This is that awkward moment when you make a rant that makes everyone hate you.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale. Prices are supposed to be super low. Great for finding a cheap end table, used car, or something to flip for profit on Ebay.

So anyone else annoyed when you find what looks like the score of the century on something (like vintage electronics or a crate of vinyl records for instance), you email the seller, and you get a response to the effect of "I got a ton of inquiries and discovered that I way underpriced this item" and then you go back and find that the price was doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or more from what it originally was.

Anyone else hate it when these guys "get wise" before you are able to make your score?

Is there any way to legally force them to honor the original listing which was in place at the time I sent an inquiry-backed with time stamped screen shot? I mean there's hundreds of dollars at stake here. If the seller f-ed up, that's HIS fault. No? I demand my score. What recourse do I have? Or since it's CL, am I just SOL? The item is now priced in line with what it goes for on Ebay. But I thought that the only place one could get away with charging Ebay prices is on...Ebay. Every place else...CL, the thrift shops, yard sales...should be priced at....CL, thrift shop, and yard sale prices. Which means around one-twentieth of Ebay.

Can anyone help? Or at lease share your own stories of missed scores.

Anyone can change their mind at any time before funds are exchanged for goods, even with a contract.
So the answer is no you cannot force anyone to sell anything they have decided not to sell.
Craigslist is not Walmart, they do not have to sell you an item at the advertised price.
Craigslist is also not an online garage sale, it is another area to advertise items people want to sell at whatever price they want to sell it at.

By the way "Your Score" is: Seller everything You the buyer nothing.

There you have it your score that you demanded.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale. Prices are supposed to be super low.
What delusional bullcrap is this?

Quote:
I demand my score. What recourse do I have?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale. Prices are supposed to be super low. Great for finding a cheap end table, used car, or something to flip for profit on Ebay.
I'm pretty sure you've got Craigslist confused with Freecycle. Except you aren't supposed to sell Freecycle items for a profit.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
New to Craigslist?

CL = way to sell items without having to deal with shipping or paying eBay's exorbitant fees. Period. It's a way to make more money with less hassle than eBay.

There are some "take this junk off my hands" type ads but that doesn't mean the whole site is like that.

Do you really think people are insane enough to sell, say, and iPhone on Craigslist for $20 when they could sell it on eBay for $400?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:

So anyone else annoyed when you find what looks like the score of the century on something (like vintage electronics or a crate of vinyl records for instance), you email the seller, and you get a response to the effect of "I got a ton of inquiries and discovered that I way underpriced this item" and then you go back and find that the price was doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or more from what it originally was.

Anyone else hate it when these guys "get wise" before you are able to make your score?

Is there any way to legally force them to honor the original listing which was in place at the time I sent an inquiry-backed with time stamped screen shot? I mean there's hundreds of dollars at stake here. If the seller f-ed up, that's HIS fault. No? I demand my score. What recourse do I have? Or since it's CL, am I just SOL? The item is now priced in line with what it goes for on Ebay. But I thought that the only place one could get away with charging Ebay prices is on...Ebay. Every place else...CL, the thrift shops, yard sales...should be priced at....CL, thrift shop, and yard sale prices. Which means around one-twentieth of Ebay.

Can anyone help? Or at lease share your own stories of missed scores.
Sorry -- there's no way to make them sell their stuff at the advertised price. Now -- if a retail establishment tried this over and over and over, they'd be out of business in no time.

But a guy selling stuff out of his garage in a one off way? Nope. And if he is selling over and over -- people will catch on that he's not a good seller.

From old pre law days -- a contract is offer, acceptance and consideration. Until he has the cash in hand it's not a contract. You have no legal standing.

I know you want rock bottom prices so you can turn around and sell it to make a tidy profit. But so does everyone else. And with every one else knowing what things are "worth" it's harder...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
From old pre law days -- a contract is offer, acceptance and consideration. Until he has the cash in hand it's not a contract. You have no legal standing.
And here we have the failing of the OP's argument because
yes the listing is the offer
The email back saying they will buy is the acceptance

but without the exchange of currency, there is no sale,

you are completely correct..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:33 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Quote:
Isn't the whole point of Craigslist to pick up deals and 'take stuff off peoples hands'? Basically an online yard sale.
No. It's for people to sell stuff at higher prices than they would get if they sold it a yard sale. If you want yard sale prices, go to yard sales.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
go on ebay if you want a guarantee.
LOL - the OP hates eBay too.

Threads started by the OP:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...highlight=ebay

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, sell it for as MUCH as you can get for it.

A simple listing on CL is not a legally binding contract.
Actually it is under the technical definition of a contract, its just that the judge would find you in contempt for wasting their time on a 30 dollar weedwacker sale. To have a contract you have to have an offer, acceptance, and consideration. Consideration being the agreed upon price for a good or service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living