Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 AM

226 posts, read 267,916 times

Advertisements

Much as I've enjoyed my home I've had - the deterioration of the neighborhood is forcing me to make a very tough decision to leave and based on the housing collapse I'm not going to be able to buy another house - so i have to reconcile myself to apartment living again. So, while a visit from the good fairy to give me some equity back in my home, does anyone know of an efficient way to check out homes and areas for apartment prices? Just looking at prices isn't good enough, you need to be able to compare amenities and safety issues as well.

There are web sites for everything, must be one out there for this too? I've found some but they seem more interested in peddling apartments and not as much into helping the buyer/renter be informed the wide degree of choices out there..

If you know one and want to share I'd really appreciate the heads up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
I'm not sure we are allowed to post those website names.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
Much as I've enjoyed my home I've had - the deterioration of the neighborhood is forcing me to make a very tough decision to leave and based on the housing collapse I'm not going to be able to buy another house - so i have to reconcile myself to apartment living again. So, while a visit from the good fairy to give me some equity back in my home, does anyone know of an efficient way to check out homes and areas for apartment prices? Just looking at prices isn't good enough, you need to be able to compare amenities and safety issues as well.

There are web sites for everything, must be one out there for this too? I've found some but they seem more interested in peddling apartments and not as much into helping the buyer/renter be informed the wide degree of choices out there..

If you know one and want to share I'd really appreciate the heads up!

You will need to do homework on this one. Any website you might find is bound to not give you all the info you want, trust me, I've tried.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

Maybe can you give some clues or what we can write in a search engine and have them pop up?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Maybe can you give some clues or what we can write in a search engine and have them pop up?
Apartment rental I suppose. There is a good website that gives crime and other data in addition to rental/purchase advertisement info, but I think it would be considered a competitor's site

T****A.com

Old 01-19-2015, 12:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
I understand your plight. Looking for an apartment is a terrible experience. I recommend that you focus on location and drive around the neighborhood. Many people advertise with signs. College campuses can also be a good place to look. I found a studio several years that way. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We do it all the time in the General Moving forum, and the Colorado & it's sub-forums. (Seems like the whole world wants to move to CO. Wonder why ?

Sites like:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Apartments for Rent, Condos and Home Rentals | Rental Home Property Search - realtor.com®
Apartments for Rent - Nationwide Apartment Finder | Apartments.com
Apartments for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder

Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM

486 posts, read 832,665 times
Pad mapper is probability the best since it aggregate multiple other websites.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you are just looking for general information, trying to decide on a town to move to, then Craigslist is good. You'll get a price, a description, and almost always you'll see photos.

If a place is priced way too low compared to every other place, it might be a scam, so don't be thinking you can move to the town and get a place like that for that price. If all the apartments are $1200 and one really nice apartment is $600, you are going to have to pay $1200 to get a place in that town.

Individual apartment complexes might possibly have their own webpage if they are really big with lots of units.

If you want an apartment in the town you already live in, you are going to have to go out and look at apartments in person.

If you have settled on the town you want, you can ask in the forum for that state on city data. Someone will know something about the area, although not about every apartment complex.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 AM

226 posts, read 267,916 times
Thanks for the info and suggestions. And good luck to us all in this crazy world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living