Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have always noted one thing when servers start talking about "Who tips the best and worst?"

IT IS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHESY.

When they approach the poor tippers, they provide fairly brusque or indifferent treatment and they are tipped appropriately.

If they think that they are going to receive a large tip, they provide the best service possible and they are tipped well.

Now just think. Wouldn't they do better on average if they treated all their customers as if they were great tippers??? I always tried.
Unless they are regular customers how is anyone going to know if they are good or bad tippers? I was never able to scope out a table and decide that. I treated everyone exactly the same, even if I knew for a fact they were regulars/bad tippers. Just as a for instance...one place I worked had a really good breakfast buffet with add ons from the kitchen if they wanted them. These two guys came in every single day...father and son...and literally pigged out. They also added on the pancakes and oatmeal from the kitchen. As they finished with each dish they'd put it wherever they wanted even on the seats and the window sills! They kept them jumping just trying to keep their table cleaned up. It got to the point where the servers told the hostess do NOT seat those guys in MY station but sometimes they had no choice. So, they asked me if I'd take them. I said "Sure", since I already knew their habits, etc. and it didn't bother me as much as it did the others. To make a long story short, I treated them differently and lo and behold they actually tipped me. Pretty good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is true. I will tip over 20% for very good service without hesitation. For poor service, I will tip much less or none at all. Interestingly, the consistently worst service from servers I have ever had is in Alaska. I don't know what it is, but so many servers had terrible attitudes. And I have dined at many different restaurants in several different cities. I don't know why, because I am always nice to servers and treat them with respect, wherever I am. I know waiting tables is a hard job and can pay very poorly. So I don't want to make it any harder for them. Alaskan employees in the other professions were not like that. They were usually warm and friendly.
Hmmm...I was a server in Alaska. At an Italian place that was mostly locals as customers and at a resort that catered to the cruise people. The Italian place was pretty nice, the customers mellow and decent tippers. The resort visitors not so much. By the time they got to us they were tired, grouchy, hungry and just not very nice. Usually getting there around dinner time. We tried being understanding and I know we didn't have bad attitudes but a lot of them sure did. Then, come breakfast and they were even worse than the night before!! Why? Because they didn't get any sleep! lol They weren't used to the 24/7 bright daylight all night, didn't sleep well and grumpy. Maybe it affected our attitudes a little bit because we were doing our best to be nice, friendly and give good service and they just couldn't be pleased no matter what. After a while you wonder "Why try?".

I always got to Alaska the end of April and I found out that people who worked in just about ANY customer service job was grouchy and had bad attitudes. I wondered if it was because of the long winter and they were now coming out of 'hibernation'. It WAS odd that's for sure.

I was paid very well as a server in Alaska. Certainly a lot better than in the Lower 48 plus a season end bonus. I liked working up there.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Unless they are regular customers how is anyone going to know if they are good or bad tippers? I was never able to scope out a table and decide that. I treated everyone exactly the same, even if I knew for a fact they were regulars/bad tippers. Just as a for instance...one place I worked had a really good breakfast buffet with add ons from the kitchen if they wanted them. These two guys came in every single day...father and son...and literally pigged out. They also added on the pancakes and oatmeal from the kitchen. As they finished with each dish they'd put it wherever they wanted even on the seats and the window sills! They kept them jumping just trying to keep their table cleaned up. It got to the point where the servers told the hostess do NOT seat those guys in MY station but sometimes they had no choice. So, they asked me if I'd take them. I said "Sure", since I already knew their habits, etc. and it didn't bother me as much as it did the others. To make a long story short, I treated them differently and lo and behold they actually tipped me. Pretty good too.

You're nicer than I am. I would have told them to stack the plates up on the table-I'm not their maid

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Omg it happened again.......

Yesterday, last appt. of the day-
I get an arrogant, wealthy guy who's trying hard to talk a good talk.
I do my usual, providing excellent service-
He complimented me several times during the session......

Only ultimately to be stiffed.

F rich people.

Working class people are the best

Old 07-05-2015, 04:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I was eating at Golden corral recently. I noticed an old man at the next table with a dollar bill on the table I guess it was the change from his meal. When he got up to leave her picked up the dollar leaving about 35 cents for the server.

I didn't have any cash in my wallet for the tip and already paid for the meal by credit card so I left to find an ATM paying 3 bucks service charge just to leave a tip.

We also leave 5 bucks every day we stay in a hotel

Old 07-08-2015, 07:53 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I did waitress/hosting about a year out of school. Best were normally middle aged or nice older folks. Couldnt tell much who was or was not weathly. Regular customers were always good to, especially when you become more friendly with them and remember them. I also beileve most everyone tipped if I gave good service and less if I was having a bad day/not in good mood. Of course, theres those who didnt even in good service with no issues. Usually younger people and older people who seemed angry at the world.

someone mentioned the best tippers are those who had done waitressing before and relied on tips. Not the case for me. I do always tip for decent service and above 20% for excellent or above average but I have no sympathy for those who are rude, angry, unattentive servers who do not care what service they give yet expect a good tip as if its just required. Just like when I waited tables, I expected a tip, yes for giving good service. I didnt stand and chat with other servers or mess with my phone in front of customers but took it seriously because it was my job and income. I cannot believe some servers attitudes and service, thinking its ok. I think being a past server makes me more upset with below average service and will not leave a full tip, at times no tip for very poor service. Normaly 10% or less to none.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
my daughter works at a fast casual restaurant now. She's a runner which means she just brings the food to the table because the customer already paid for the food at the front desk. There are very few tips at this type of restaurant. People do leave tips but doesn't even work out to $20 per week after they divide it up.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:46 PM

231 posts, read 213,134 times
I used to deliver pizza in the Gay & Lesbian part of Dallas and I can tell you that Gay Men are usually(not always) great tippers - and Lesbians were w/o a doubt the very worst - they would(often) watch me count out the coins in their change and not even tip a dollar!- seriously(but not always)

Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Omg it happened again.......

Yesterday, last appt. of the day-
I get an arrogant, wealthy guy who's trying hard to talk a good talk.
I do my usual, providing excellent service-
He complimented me several times during the session......

Only ultimately to be stiffed.

F rich people.

Working class people are the best
Almost 50 years ago my husband attended a national convention of the labor union of which he was a member. I went along for the short vacation it gave us together. It was in Miami Beach at the Fontainbleu Hotel. A convention of bankers had been there the week before his convention. At dinner one evening one of the men at the table remarked to a waitress, "You must have gotten some good tips last week when the bankers were here." She replied, "Are you kidding? I never saw so many pennies in my whole life. With you working people we see a lot of silver and a little green occasionally but those bankers are the stingiest people we ever have here."

Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
It's not the same but in my job as a scaffolder I've worked on houses that belong to the rich and others that work to the poor, now when at the poor houses I've been offered tea, drinks, food, " would you like anything from the shop " etc basically bend over backwards for you, then you have the rich stand there watching you moaning about the scaffold ruining there view ( even tho they have called you!!) and then complaining about this and that and don't even offer a drink out and out wronguns

It's the class system it would seem I've always classed the working class the more decent bunch out of the 2 they understand what small gestures do for you compare to the rich that like to put you down and keep you down!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living