Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:09 PM

940 posts, read 969,588 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are very lucky, as our income has grown we've been able to put some savings away. We are 33 and even though we own a home, we still live like we did when we graduated college making a lot less money than we make now. I even still drive the same car (from 10+ years ago).

The only furniture we've bought since graduating then was a new king sized bed (we splurged). We did buy a new set of stainless steel appliances (nothing fancy) as well last year.

We need to start taking vacations. Start taking time off. I typically try to work more overtime instead of taking the days off at home (although I do have 17 days off this month, is how I rationalize it). We need to update our house, and rip up the carpet and put in new floors, paint, buy adult furniture, etc. It's just so hard, having been so cheap prior to this.

Anyone go through this? I realize we are lucky, I'm not complaining, I'm just finding it hard to move out of the "super frugal" mindset that we had for so long, because we had to be. Now we can enjoy our lives, with less worry about money, but I find that worrying about spending money on things like vacations stresses me out.

Here's a great example, I would like to buy an RC quadcopter, but to get the one I want costs around $800-$1000 all in. We can afford it, yet I just can't bring myself to get it. Even though I will enjoy using it and learning how to fly it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Why don't you budget splurge money every month. You can choose to blow it that month, or save it and blow it on one grand vacation.

My budget is miniscule compared to yours. But, I recently got my Section 8 voucher, which gives me about $140 more disposable money per month. My total income is $890. So, for me, it's significant.

I save most of it, because I want to buy a different used vehicle next year. But, I now allow myself to just blow some of it each month now. I could blow it all, but I'm choosing to save about $100 of it towards a nicer used model car next year, than I was originally planning on. So, either way, that $140 each month is my splurge money.

Anyway, perhaps you can allow yourself to use this technique. Give yourself permission to put $300/month, or whatever amount you agree on, into a separate account that you get to blow on stuff that's just nice.

This month, I used my $40 free money (above the $100 I'm saving) to buy a really pretty nice new fancy kitchen colander in bright red and stainless steel LOL. Might sound silly. But, to me it's the kind of thing I've always bought for a dollar at a thrift store that was beat up or plastic or just plain ugly. I love using my bright new shiny colander. I also bought a new matching set of stainless steel measuring cups with that money.

It's amazing how just having a pretty, good quality kitchen gizmo can give such pleasure to a ridiculously frugal person.

So, figure out your blow-it money budget and go shopping!! And allow yourself to enjoy it to the max!

Old 05-27-2015, 04:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
You can buy different furniture while still being frugal...figure out what you want and keep an eye out for it on Craigslist.

Paint is not expensive, it's the time that it takes to do it that adds up. So buy the paint and do the work yourself, if that will make you feel better.

I like to save money, but I think it's good to keep up with the house...paint the walls, have decent furniture and curtains, etc. Last year I redid my living room...the only thing that I kept was the tv and stand. I bought a leather sectional for $500, ottoman for $40, big chunky multi-color rug for $100, two tall cupboards for $40, and some fake trees and plants for $40, all on Craigslist, and a curtain at Goodwill for $5. So all I spent was $725 but my living room looks exactly the way I want it, cozy and inviting and comfortable, and I feel like I finally have a grown up living room, now that my kids are old enough not to color on the couch or smear stuff on the walls.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
It was a lot harder for me when we made that change. My problem wasn't new furniture or vacations, it was buying a more expensive house. I didn't want to spend the money. Bad neighbors changed that. Now I'm glad we escaped.

Some of that stuff you're talking about isn't really all that expensive. For instance, painting your house is probably one of the most inexpensive things you could do to upgrade it and make it look fresh. Assuming you paint it yourself, it is even less expensive. Pick your art or your theme, add a couple of coats of paint and you have a quick pick me up.

Vacations do not have to be expensive. Depending on where you live, you could probably do a number of day trips. Or go someplace relatively close and spend a couple of nights. If you get a place that serves breakfast, you've cut out the cost of one meal and made that room stay a little less expensive. You can have lunch specials at a nice restaurant and have sandwiches or microwave meals for the evening meal and then just go out for dessert or drinks. We used to do a lot of camping. It was cheaper than hotels and we have seen some really neat places here in the US. It all depends on what you want to do, and have money for or are willing to spend.

I think you really just need to set a budget for each of your categories. Prioritize them. Set a date and make a gift to yourself. It's ok to have fun once in a while and splurge. My husband and I have both always wanted real cowboy boots. Neither of us have ever owned a pair. Guess what we are getting for our next wedding anniversary? It's a totally frivolous want, but we're doing it. I'm sure we'll be a sight.

We all put so much emphasis on money. You do have to have a bare minimum to live. Beyond a point, you're also making money to have a better quality of life. Working all the time isn't adding quality to life. Neither is having things like a house, but not enjoying it as fully as you could. You just have to find a balance that woorks for you.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:15 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,404,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Wife and I are very lucky, as our income has grown we've been able to put some savings away. We are 33 and even though we own a home, we still live like we did when we graduated college making a lot less money than we make now. I even still drive the same car (from 10+ years ago).

The only furniture we've bought since graduating then was a new king sized bed (we splurged). We did buy a new set of stainless steel appliances (nothing fancy) as well last year.

We need to start taking vacations. Start taking time off. I typically try to work more overtime instead of taking the days off at home (although I do have 17 days off this month, is how I rationalize it). We need to update our house, and rip up the carpet and put in new floors, paint, buy adult furniture, etc. It's just so hard, having been so cheap prior to this.

Anyone go through this? I realize we are lucky, I'm not complaining, I'm just finding it hard to move out of the "super frugal" mindset that we had for so long, because we had to be. Now we can enjoy our lives, with less worry about money, but I find that worrying about spending money on things like vacations stresses me out.

Here's a great example, I would like to buy an RC quadcopter, but to get the one I want costs around $800-$1000 all in. We can afford it, yet I just can't bring myself to get it. Even though I will enjoy using it and learning how to fly it.

Sounds as though you're well on your way to being the Millionaires Next Door. I wouldn't look to ditch a frugal mindset! Maybe you can find a used quadcopter, or trade for something, even a skill.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
If buying certain things make you toss and turn at night, don't buy them anymore.

A "frugal lifestyle" is exactly that - it's a mindset that you've grown comfortable with. Buy and sped in ways that don't bog down your spirit.

I have a friend who has inherited over a million dollars, and he peels off and reuses stamps that miss the cancelling machine. It's a form of entertainment within his comfort zone. Spending a dime needlessly or frivolously is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:

Open a separate account to stash money for things you consider splurges (vacations, home updates etc). Add to it every month in an amount that allows you to still fully fund retirement and emergency accounts. When it builds up to the point where you can afford a splurge, spend it guilt free! Life is too short to forgo spending on pure fun now and again.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
We kind of are in the same situation. We still budget like we did when we both worked minimum wage jobs and it was tougher to get by. I will probably never leave that mindset, as I enjoy finding was to save and cut back, even if we dont have to. We do plan trips though, as budget minded as possible still. I love to travel so I do what I can to plan things that wont go overboard on cost.

just come up with some things youd like to plan on doing. One time a week, plan a fun day like movies, theme park, museums, something fun. We normally do a day/weekend trip once a month and vacation 2x a year. We actually have a vacation account that we put money into each month for the bigger trips.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Ah... consumption and consumerism. There is no end to the number of things I could buy and enjoy. But I also know that the enjoyment would be fleeting and minor and not what I really want. I see a lot of people stuck in a consumer addiction cycle. The only thing keeping them from spending more are the creditors. You can be thankful that you are not afflicted.

Think about this. Do you *really* enjoy the things that money can buy that much? What are the things in life that really matter to you? How much do you have set aside in cash and investments? Do you enjoy working? Is the thought of being retired and free appealing? Because you have the mindset of someone who could retire at a young age.

It's possible to be excessive with savings and security of course, but having a substantial chunk of assets provides freedom and piece of mind that is more important than anything I could buy.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
I am still frugal to the point of almost crossing stingy sometimes. Then I do not blink an eye on something knowing there is no other option. I love to see SO off in the morning dressed to the T. Trust me boots and Western shirts will kill any budget but .... For me WallyMart is fine most of the time as I work from home.
Bought my first handgun with coupon money. Bought the baby back ribs for 20 on sale for 1.99 with price match which offsets local brews.

Life is too short not to enjoy it from time to time. It will throw you a wrench and then you will have regrets. Everything in moderation.

I understand the red colander purchase. It is a daily feel good love to look at it. Happiness comes in all sorts of sizes. When the gang has left on Saturday and the house is back to normal there will be a shot of good sippin' bourbon on the patio to end the day. A waste? To some yes. To us a quiet moment after a turbulent week and hopefully pleasant evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living