Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Be generous, give money away to someone in need. Tell yourself "This is what I saved this money for", and feel good about your frugality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 PM

7,041 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Be generous, give money away to someone in need. Tell yourself "This is what I saved this money for", and feel good about your frugality.
I agree with this & give 10% every month. When you get, give in return.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Florida2 View Post
I am new to frugality.
I want to embrace it.

Please list, advise your tips on frugality and what lessons to learn

Frugality 101 please!
One of the quickest is to buy used cars, take 15 year mortgages only with an amortization schedule (knock it out in about 11-13 years predicated on your rounding), continue to "pay" the mortgage only the interest is yours over the next 15 years and growing in the form of other investments.....why give it to the bank when you can give it to yourself???

Go with a hybrid (used if you can get one) and run it into the ground, replacement batteries and all, stick with Toyota, they have it figured out.....

Shop everything
Live below your means, always
realize a dollar saved today compounds to about $8-$12 in retirement
By a smaller house
By a smaller car
Live a smaller life
If you can, grow some of your own food
Optimize the utilities you consume
Less IS more
And so on and so on......I had a neighbor that used to recycle aluminum.....thought he was crazy....then I learned about how he had the space, small crusher and simply grabbed $500 here and there for over 12 years.....nice little sum as he never spent it.....he uses his waste oil in a shop heater...neat.....has passive solar for all outdoor lighting, uses a well for most water needs except potable, buys clothes and furniture at Goodwill and Salvation Army...shops the heck out of them....furnished all of his kids apartments that way and saved a bundle.....dilutes the handsoap.....buys all chemicals in bulk....the guy is loaded....just loves to save....calls it; "his hobby"....he's good at it that's for sure.....

Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times
Stop caring so much about what other people think..... For many, I think this is the biggest hurdle to frugal living, or even living within their means.

I agree with above poster who said "set a goal" - this makes it a lot easier when others try to pressure you to buy something you know you shouldn't.....

it also helps to have a back-up plan - a while ago a friend suggested we have a spa day - mani's , Pedi's, facial. Would have ben lovely - but also I would have been on the hook for $150 (at least). I said "Hey, I'd love to see you but that's just not in the budget for me right now" I then suggested a local exhibit that I knew we'd both enjoy and offered to pack a picnic. Total cost about $25.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Giving 10% is not frugal. Giving 1% is frugal lol

Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
There are other ways to give back if you have a few free hours every day. I foster kittens so for the extra money I want to donate, I donate to the kitties food, supplies and care. The city shelter cannot afford anything other than vet care to their fosters. Not only would you get an experience out of fostering and save lives, you get to learn a new skill in caring for sick cats.

Othet tips:
Cook your meals

Accept or buy used furniture if you need them

Buy used clothes, especially for children

Buy toys, books, dvd, etc..from yard sales and thrift stores

No more Starbucks. Okay, maybe once a month.
Limit your purchase of beer and drinks

If you have nothing to do, don't go out shopping! Look around your house and create a project.

Buy pet bowls, collars and leashes at a dollar store. Buy generic heartgard (Nuheart, etc) and generic flea meds (Petarmor, etc). Buy meds and prescription diet online. This will save you over $200 a month.

Don't get a pet out of impulse. They are a long term, very costly commitment.

Cut out cable. Go Chromecast.

Do not buy new phones. Buy a used, older version or wait for someone to give it to you.

Focus on one debt you owe and pay the crap out of it.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Frugality 101 please!
Some ground rules :
The biggest waste is eating at restaurants - even cheap ones.
The next biggest waste is buying prepared / preprocessed foods (and junk food, too).
(You can save $$$$ by buying corn tortillas, and frying up your own taco chips)

There are some menu items (KFC pressure fried chicken) that are not easily made by the amateur cook, but overall, you will be better off cooking your own meals.

If you have the storage space, buy in bulk. Everything is cheaper in bulk.
(a #10 can of crushed tomatoes is $2.00 at the warehouse store, roughly 108 oz. While a 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes was $1.45.)

Old 08-29-2015, 03:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Learn to identify the difference between NEED and WANT.

Yes, for sure this. Also, i had written this on another frugal thread... I learned years ago to ask myself... how many hours do I have to work to pay for this. It helps.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
I am new to frugality.
I want to embrace it.

Please list, advise your tips on frugality and what lessons to learn

Frugality 101 please!
Much of frugality is really about efficient lifestyle design. It's explained pretty well here:

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

The other thing that makes frugality easier is when you're prioritizing your most important goals...and ignoring what other people around you are doing. When you are in touch with your goals & values, what other people do doesn't matter. To paraphrase Paula at Afford Anything.....You can (probably) afford anything. You just can't afford everything.

The 12 Essential Lessons I Want to Share About Money & Life - Afford Anything

Old 08-30-2015, 07:26 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Always be suspicious when "Miscellaneous" is a big expense. A detailed breakdown makes it easier to decide what's really worthwhile and what is just budget leaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living