Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 AM

676 posts, read 936,908 times

Advertisements

I want so much to go cable free but our only entertainment is TV Discovery, Natgeo, History, a few more. All that other stuff just really bugs me having to pay for. My husband has Dementia and he likes watching TV but he also likes a few channels. Is there ANY way we can get these channels without all that other garbage. We are on a fixed income and trying to be frugal but when it comes to this I don't know how to beat it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Yes,...

There are about a dozen Thread about Cutting the Cord, Getting rid of cable tv in the frugal-living forum already Read thru some of them.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
I cut cable and now have an antenna. Channels are limited but I don't need much. I guess it depends on what channels you feel you can do without.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:00 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I cut cable and now have an antenna. Channels are limited but I don't need much. I guess it depends on what channels you feel you can do without.
Agreed! I also use an indoor OTA antenna and satisfied with the channels I receive and the clarity. Most importantly: No more cable bills!

Here is a web site that will tell how many, and which channels a person could receive (based on zip code):

AntennaWeb - Address

Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
I think most of the channels you mentioned can be viewed through SlingTV ($20/month). If you want to cut out cable, buy a Roku 3 or other streaming device and add Hulu, SlingTV, Crackle, and some other channels. There are a ton of free channels out there that will give you movies and older episodes of TV shows to watch for free. We cut out cable about 2 months ago, and the hardest part has been finding something to watch. There's a ton of shows and movies at our fingerprints, we just haven't learned how to navigate all of the options yet.
Oh, and buy a $30 antenna on Amazon.com and plug it into the coax plug on the back of your TV. If you live in a large city, you'll get a dozen channels (the local ones) right there.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I would like to see cable companies offer something like a bundle of channels that you would watch instead of 100 plus channels of things you have no interest in. Guess there is no money in it for them but the public would jump all over it. They do it for those who love sports, so why not the rest of us?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes,... There are about a dozen Thread about Cutting the Cord, Getting rid of cable tv in the frugal-living forum already Read thru some of them.
For example:

Cutting the cable and un-cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I would like to see cable companies offer something like a bundle of channels that you would watch instead of 100 plus channels of things you have no interest in. Guess there is no money in it for them but the public would jump all over it.
The cable companies have nothing to do with it. Verizon FiOS has been offering "skinny bundles" akin to what you indicate you want, and now apparently the legal threats against the violation of carriage agreements inherent in giving you what you want has come to a head, and they will be adding ESPN back to the basic tier over the next year. The networks themselves place the requirements on the cable companies that represent the greatest portion of the extra cost associated with extra channels.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I want so much to go cable free but our only entertainment is TV Discovery, Natgeo, History, a few more. All that other stuff just really bugs me having to pay for. My husband has Dementia and he likes watching TV but he also likes a few channels. Is there ANY way we can get these channels without all that other garbage. We are on a fixed income and trying to be frugal but when it comes to this I don't know how to beat it. Thanks
I think that this is one of the few times I would recommend NOT cutting cable. I base this on three main factors.

1. Changing technologies can be difficult even for people with full faculties. For someone with dementia, it would be a steep hill to climb, and one where he would always be slipping back and frustrated.
2. The savings over the relatively short span where most dementia victims actively enjoy specific programming is not major.
3. Quality of life is important not only to the person with dementia, but for the caregiver's impression of that quality of life. If you cut cable and the alternatives didn't work out or were less than adequate, after your husband dies there will be some self-recrimination.

There will probably come a time when what is on the tv simply doesn't matter to him, but even then the reassurance of remembering how to use it may be important.

Does the cost of cable suck? Yes. Is it a drain on limited resources? Yes. Is the business model punitive and customer unfriendly? Yes. In this case, those don't add up to cutting off a link to a somewhat comfortable pastime for someone with little else.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:10 PM

676 posts, read 936,908 times
Default cable

Thank you, I needed that.....I want to provide everything that will make him comfortable. I would hate to know what goes on in his mind sometimes so when I can divert to something enjoyable I will do it. Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think that this is one of the few times I would recommend NOT cutting cable. I base this on three main factors.

1. Changing technologies can be difficult even for people with full faculties. For someone with dementia, it would be a steep hill to climb, and one where he would always be slipping back and frustrated.
2. The savings over the relatively short span where most dementia victims actively enjoy specific programming is not major.
3. Quality of life is important not only to the person with dementia, but for the caregiver's impression of that quality of life. If you cut cable and the alternatives didn't work out or were less than adequate, after your husband dies there will be some self-recrimination.

There will probably come a time when what is on the tv simply doesn't matter to him, but even then the reassurance of remembering how to use it may be important.

Does the cost of cable suck? Yes. Is it a drain on limited resources? Yes. Is the business model punitive and customer unfriendly? Yes. In this case, those don't add up to cutting off a link to a somewhat comfortable pastime for someone with little else.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
Couldn't you get a Roku and then choose which channels you want to pay for? Your dh might need help choosing the channels - Roku does involve an extra step in turning to the correct channel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living