Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:22 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
IMHO it depends on whether you will actually be using that product.

My career field forbade me from using deodorant. So from 18 until I retired I never used it. Now as a retiree, I have never been tempted to pick up that habit. For me it would not make sense to buy 4 deodorants.

Subs are very restrictive on toothpastes and other things as well. But really the healthy alternatives are a lot cheap. Try baking soda for a year and you will be used to it. Since I retired I shifted to H2O2, which is even cheaper than baking soda.
I didn't know that about subs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon many things. Can you use the multiple items? Really use them, not just put them into your home inventory? Will you use the gift card? Do you shop there often enough to use the gift card? Will you remember to use the gift card? Is the item at regular price or has the price been marked up?

The store wants you to come back in and shop some more, which is why they give you a gift card that has to be used at their store. Nothing wrong with that if you routinely use that store.

A gift card to Target is worthless to me because I am only in there once every 3-4 years. 4 packages of deodorant, I might possibly be able to use, but the gift card is worthless to me, so it isn't a deal I would take.

The people who coupon and have 95 bottles of shampoo and 120 packages of deodorant, really don't need 4 more, even if it comes with a gift card. Of course, with their couponing, they are probably getting the four deodorants for 4 cents each and then getting the $5 gift card, but really, there is a limit to the value of stockpiling stuff you will never use.

Actually they don't care about getting you back in the store. You can split your order, have them ring the sale items and get your gift card and then they will do a second order with the rest of your stuff and you can use the gift card. A couple of times, they stopped as they were ringing and gave me the gift card in the middle of the transaction (as soon as they rang in those items) and then I could use when it was time to pay. I go to Target often enough that I don't bother and just save the GC for the next time, but if the sale is good enough to get and you don't want to worry about remembering the GC another time, you can make it work unless those are the only items you were going to buy.

As for never using, I know that I will use at least 4 deodorants in a year. I generally don't stock more than that, but to me, it's worth it when I can get a good deal and then not have to worry about running out for a while. Generally speaking, the Target items are usually on sale plus you get the gift card, and the price can't be beat. If that's not the case, I don't bother.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I've done this on several occasions, but only if it's something that I need. The last time that I did it, in addition to the items being on sale, I had a rain check, used manufacturer's coupons, and that along with my red card, brought my bill down from around $75 to $15.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I'm in Target 2-3 times a month, and hey, toilet paper, paper towels, and tampons don't exactly go bad, and I'll definitely use the hair dye by any expiration date, and they aren't raising their prices in conjunction as far as I can tell so I'll typically stock up and then save up the gift cards (can stack as many as you have on one purchase) for something fun. Last time, it was a Roku stick for an otherwise unused tv we put in the master bedroom.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
If by taking $1.25 ($5 divided by 4) off the product you end up cheaper than other sale prices - then yes, it's a good deal - providing you can afford to make the investment on that day.

If you can stack coupons or other offers on top of that even better. I get disposable razors, lots of disposable razors, that I don't need - however, with certain deals and coupon stacking, I end up making money on them (or at worse they are free) so I take my 'extras' to the homeless shelter, and they love it.

Someone mentioned it might be better to payoff any debt rather than stocking up. I'm not sure if putting that amount on a credit card is going to yield you the same savings - it's just something you need to look at.

I consider these things 'investments' - you will not see the payoff quickly, but you will see the payoff down the line.

There is also the snowball saving effect - you make the purchase while saving today, and next shopping trip you don't have to make that purchase, so there will be extra funds to stock up on a different deal, and it keeps growing. Then when something comes up (and it always does) you can skip (or really cut back) on your shopping to pay for that expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living