Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times

Advertisements

I need some additional tips on how to save money by going out. Almost single budgetary item, I meet or go under, but when it comes to eating out, I go over by a lot. Are there any other secrets you guys can give me on how to save $? I try to fix my budget to $50 a month but I may have to increase it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
First, $50/month for food is unrealistic - that's a little over $1/day, not quite enough to buy a bag of potato chips.

Second, it is entirely within your power to start cooking. Nothing hard about grains and beans.

There must be a bajillion websites on eating frugally, and you clearly know how to use the internet, so...

You might start here - https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/ You can buy a copy of her cookbook, but you can also download it for free.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

272 posts, read 216,689 times
Do it less often... a lot less often. Going to a bar to get some food and have some drinks? Eat at home before going to the bar. It gets easier as you get older IMO.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I think the OP has budgeted $50/mo for dining out, not a total food budget.

A lot depends upon the area, a lot depends on what qualifies as a pleasurable dining out experience.

As countless seniors will attest, lunch is cheaper than dinner. A good "meat and two" place can sometimes get you a $12 meal. An impromptu picnic can be inexpensive. When food shopping, I used to buy a package of short hoagie rolls, a $1 bottle of mayo, sliced deli turkey, cheese, spinach and mushrooms and whatever else treat we wanted to add. I always have salt and pepper, water, and a knife in the van. For the price of a single subway sandwich, we had at least two, plus food left over to bring home. Being able to sit outside in a park and watch the ducks while enjoying fresh food was better than sitting in a restaurant waiting for service and listening to hungry and tired kids annoying their parents.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Well, the obvious answer is don't eat out as often.

Aside from that, order water to drink, skip the appetizer, or make a meal out of an appetizer.

Are you mainly eating out for convenience or pleasure? If it's convenience, like meals on the road while working, familiarize yourself with the places that provide the most bang for the buck. There are plenty of ways to get full on less than five bucks if you're not a picky eater.

If it's for pleasure and you're going out to nicer places, you're choices are pretty much just go out a couple of times a month or increase the budget.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I need some additional tips on how to save money by going out.
By not going out.
Or going out far less often.
Or at least on less expensive outings.

Quote:
...but when it comes to eating out, I go over by a lot.
otoh... maybe you aren't going over budget enough?
Or you just don't allow yourself enough to enjoy it as much as you want.
But that will mean cutting back in some other area.
---

Regardless of your indulgences the money saving thing happens up front. It has to.
BEFORE you portion out how you spend the rest of what you have... the saving gets done first.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Coupons & email rewards programs

Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Coupons & email rewards programs
You would be surprised how much this helps. My husband and I don't go out to eat very often, but I stockpile all the coupons that come in the mail and I join frequent diner clubs for our favorite restaurants to get coupons and special offers. I know it's hard for a single person because sometimes the offers are buy one get one free, but maybe you can get a friend to split it with you.

Drinks are big offenders - it amazes me how they can charge $2.50 for a glass of tea. Just get water or if you are going through a drive though, or don't even order a drink.

Not sure if you are eating at nice restaurants or fast food places, but some of the fast food places now have these dollar menus. Wendy's did one that was four for $4 and you got a junior bacon cheeseburger, four chicken nuggets, small fries and a small drink.

If you don't get coupons in the mail, go to the websites for your favorite places to eat and sign up to get offers by email.

Eating out isn't cheap, but it can be done frugally if you try!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
If there is a certain food, you enjoy eating out, look up how to make it at home. Ok, it won't be as good as eating out, but it can be close to it.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Put snack food in the car. It'll save you from "hunger pains" making you splurge.

In addition to coupons, keep in mind happy hours or revolving discounts.

Buffalo Wild Wings is absurdly priced for what you get, but on Tuesdays their wings are 1/2 price.
So I ONLY go on Tuesdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living