Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:28 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,022 times

Advertisements

Several years ago we all decided NO MORE GIFTS and I must say it is a wonderful feeling. No malls, no big credit card bills, no more purchasing of junk just to have something to give someone. When I am cleaning out closets I always find all these past gifts -- expensive and not useful. I do buy one nice but modest gift for each of the grandchildren. And for my two adult children -- I try to do something thoughtful like offer to pay for their airline tickets for a visit. Now for their birthday I will splurge a bit because who doesn't love getting a present on your birthday??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 08:58 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Several years ago we all decided NO MORE GIFTS and I must say it is a wonderful feeling. No malls, no big credit card bills, no more purchasing of junk just to have something to give someone. When I am cleaning out closets I always find all these past gifts -- expensive and not useful. I do buy one nice but modest gift for each of the grandchildren. And for my two adult children -- I try to do something thoughtful like offer to pay for their airline tickets for a visit. Now for their birthday I will splurge a bit because who doesn't love getting a present on your birthday??
Wonderful isn't it? It's such a waste to spend a fortune on often useless or unwanted gifts.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
NYChistory -- We do the same thing! We are all grown up, except for one grandchild and she is disabled so does not really play with toys too much, so we stay pretty frugal, too.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times
I'm nearly finished. Just need to get a few things for our nephews and then I'll be done. I stayed within budget and I think everyone will like their gifts. Happy to be done with the shopping, now I can relax and enjoy the holidays.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Why would I shop when I have a wife?

Old 11-04-2017, 04:40 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Hate to say this, but all year round.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
When I was working my husband and I shopped on Veteran's Day and usually got most of it done. When you work, you have to have a majority of purchases bought before Thanksgiving or it is going to be a crazy holiday. Parties start shortly thereafter and the laundry always has to be done. When shopping is finished by Thanksgiving you can relax and enjoy the holiday. I always started planning what to buy on October 1st and usually finished on Veteran's Day which was a day we always got off together.

When you work, Thanksgiving is usually 3 or 4 shopping days before Christmas.

Now that we don't have teachers, etc. to buy for we write a check for each child and grandchild. Haven't had a complaint yet. Our oldest granddaughter is getting really smart. She tells us we give her too much.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Glad that world is behind me. I give daughter and grandkids $50 ea...they love it.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:01 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Nada No gift exchanges, no moola.

We gave all that up years ago. So freeing!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
My husband likes to buy the gifts for the kids and he usually likes to get them electronics so I usually let him get the big gifts and I buy a few fillers or fun gifts as I see them. I'm not particularly motivated this time of year. I save my coupons and incentives as I see them and buy now if it fits my schedule and I'm in the area. Justice must have had some sort of class action lawsuit because I received a $30 coupon in the mail. My own child is past that stage, but I think my niece will love something from there. I bought some shirts at Bass Pro Shop the other day that were in the $15 range. I thought about them as Christmas gifts, but think I will go ahead and give them now for my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living