Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,820,544 times

Advertisements

Well, the discussion on travel was interesting but how about dating? How many dates do you go on in a single month and how much do you spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,980,409 times
Does it count for people in relationships? Usually my gf and I go dutch. If it's a special occasion, I usually pay.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,511,720 times
Got a stable GF, I share the apartment with her, paying only a little more than $600 a month for my part of the rent.

I still drive the same car I got when I was in HS 13 years ago.. never bothering to change it even while I was dating.

I still budget my rent to be less than $700/mo even if it means sharing a room in a house.

When these 2 big ticket items are taken care of, I'll spend liberally in the places where it really matters.

The money I saved I'll spend on dinners, activities, gifts, etc. I've spent as much as 500-600 a month on those although not on a regular basis.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,890 times
You do realize this is the Frugal Living Forum, not the Cheapskate Forum. There is a rather large difference between the two. See below.

Calling someone frugal can be a compliment. Calling someone a cheapskate is almost universally a put down.

fru·gal

   /ˈfrugəl/ Show Spelled[froo-guhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: What your office needs is a frugal manager who can save you money without resorting to painful cutbacks. Synonyms: thrifty, chary, provident, careful, prudent, penny-wise, scrimping; miserly, Scotch, penny-pinching. Antonyms: wasteful, extravagant, spendthrift, prodigal, profligate.

2. entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty: a frugal meal. Synonyms: scant, slim, sparing, skimpy. Antonyms: luxurious, lavish, profuse.

cheap·skate

   /ˈtʃipˌskeɪt/ Show Spelled [cheep-skeyt] Show IPA noun, verb, -skat·ed, -skat·ing. Informal .
noun 1. a person who is stingy and miserly.

verb (used without object) 2. to act in a stingy or miserly way.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,206,847 times
I don't make it a point to be frugal for dates. My gf will grab a Groupon for dinner - usually when it's a place we love already... but that's about it. Our dates can range anywhere from $20 to $1000, depending on what we do.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM

230 posts, read 408,212 times
$40 max per date. Less if possible.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

297 posts, read 727,508 times
Well that is the whole point of being frugal, so you can spend it on fun stuff like dating! (Or whatever your hobby might be.)

Anyway whatever is left over, the sky is the limit!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,820,544 times
eating out has become so damn expensive anywhere you go that is no totally ghetto - the alcohol especially is priced to insanity. Inflation is rife! I don't remember just a decade ago that it was this expensive, prices have shot through the roof and it seems any and every restaurant is jacking up prices.

What is the max you guys will spend on a sit down dinner date (for someone you are NOT in a relationship with but someone you definitely LIKE)... do you make exceptions to your normal frugality in this area of your life?

I targeted my question only to the guys as gals don't really pay for dates - at least I haven't met any woman in my entire dating life that has ever paid for anything more than a few bucks here and there.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,851,622 times
Nothing, hehe.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM

297 posts, read 727,508 times
Well sometimes financial disaster strikes. Right when some major bills are due, the car will break, the water heater will go out, the dog will need an expensive vet visit, etc. If that is going on, then no eating out. It is dinner at home and something budget.

But other times for special occasions - celebrate something or birthday, then $100 or $150 is ok.

Other times maybe under $50 at a not so fancy restaurant.

Also note eating at a restaurant is the LOWEST priority spending I have. All other bills come before that. If those are taken care of, then fine.

And eating at a restaurant includes McDonalds and fast food for just myself. Cheaper to eat at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living