Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times

Advertisements

How many vacations do you take, how far from home do you typically go and how much do you spend?

Is there any such thing as a *frugal* vacation?

On another note, what percentage of the american population do you think can even afford to take a vacation out of the country (i.e. an international vacation)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Perimeters?

Does the stop at the Grand Canyon while coming back from a conference in Vegas count?

Does going to visit family for the Holidays count?

A weekend in Branson...?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I've been on vacation since 1989. I haven't had a full-time open-ended job since 1984.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM

232 posts, read 151,954 times
We try and make a trip to West Va every year when we get our income tax refund. Will do so this year as well soon as the newest baby is born in April.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times
Depends on the finances and how healthy the dogs are at the moment. I research like crazy and manage to take some wonderful and very cheap vacations: ig: Did a horse trek in Ireland, all included, 3 yrs ago. Horse trek was $1,300 and the airfare from El Paso to Shannon was only $600. Another trip was to Greece and did a week on Crete for cheapby camping, and the rental car was only $135 for a week! Use Virtualtourist.com and talk to folks. It's amazing what you can do for cheap.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM

297 posts, read 726,296 times
Zero vacations. I like to stay at home and don't care to travel.

Airlines are a royal pain with all the security and "pack 'em in like sardines" seating. Not to mention customs hassles if you leave the country. Especially to get back in to the U.S.

But you can take a frugal vacation. You can get deals on airlines. And you just sleep in a hotel room typically. Why stay at the 5 star "Got Rocks Hotel" if you are just going to sleep there? Instead stay at the YMCA or an old hotel in a downtown area skid row (bathroom down the hall and weekly rates. Slide the dresser in front of the door for security while sleeping!)

About 10 years ago I went to Vancouver B.C. for several days and $200 for entire trip! Greyhound bus, then stayed at a "flophouse" with a room that looked like this...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Flophouse.jpg

...and about $24 a night as I recall! And they had "day passes" for the public transportation there. That included boat rides across the bay and light rail all over the city as well as busses. Sort of like unlimited Disneyland rides for $6 a day! Then I ate fast food.

Also you can get good deals going to Las Vegas. Includes airline and a nice room. Don't gamble and it can be quite cheap!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Zero vacations. I like to stay at home and don't care to travel.

Airlines are a royal pain with all the security and "pack 'em in like sardines" seating. Not to mention customs hassles if you leave the country. Especially to get back in to the U.S.

But you can take a frugal vacation. You can get deals on airlines. And you just sleep in a hotel room typically. Why stay at the 5 star "Got Rocks Hotel" if you are just going to sleep there? Instead stay at the YMCA or an old hotel in a downtown area skid row (bathroom down the hall and weekly rates. Slide the dresser in front of the door for security while sleeping!)

About 10 years ago I went to Vancouver B.C. for several days and $200 for entire trip! Greyhound bus, then stayed at a "flophouse" with a room that looked like this...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Flophouse.jpg

...and about $24 a night as I recall! And they had "day passes" for the public transportation there. That included boat rides across the bay and light rail all over the city as well as busses. Sort of like unlimited Disneyland rides for $6 a day! Then I ate fast food.

Also you can get good deals going to Las Vegas. Includes airline and a nice room. Don't gamble and it can be quite cheap!
Okay, not sure if you're pulling our legs... I certainly hope so.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How many vacations do you take, how far from home do you typically go and how much do you spend?

Is there any such thing as a *frugal* vacation?

On another note, what percentage of the american population do you think can even afford to take a vacation out of the country (i.e. an international vacation)?
I haven't had a vacation in so long I don't remember when the last one was! Maybe 2002? That one was to New Mexico,Colorado and Utah. I stay in cheapy motels...all I do is sleep there...eat fast food or cheap Mom 'n Pop places. My biggest expense is gas for the car but I always do road trips. I love to drive and don't mind going alone. In fact I enjoy it.

I will be going on vacation to Oregon this summer and it's won't cost me an arm and leg. A frugal vacation is what you make of it. I know I can't afford to travel out of country but really have no desire to do so. Well, I WOULD like to go to Australia but that's because my maternal family lives there and I'd like to meet them. All that would cost me is airfare so someday....

Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 PM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Camping can be a pretty frugal (and fun) vacation. You can make it even more frugal by catching your own food and living off of the land.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM

469 posts, read 1,174,984 times
I usually take 4 or 5 a year. Most of the time it is a short 3-5 day trip, mostly for music or a music festival. I always do it on a shoestring though, staying with friends, taking advantage of local deals, carpooling/taking the bus. I just spent 6 days in Baltimore and NYC for New Years and probably only spent $400-$500 total
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living