Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

If you count day trips to various tourist destinations around Southern California: Maybe once every 1-2 months (so about 6-10 a year.)

Short trips by car: About 2-3 a year.

Visiting family in another state: 1-2 a year.

International Trips: About 1 every several years. (Does not count weekend excursions when I'm sent Internationally for business trips.)

My budget is about 5-10% of before-tax income on vacations and its associated expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How many vacations do you take, how far from home do you typically go and how much do you spend?

Is there any such thing as a *frugal* vacation?

On another note, what percentage of the american population do you think can even afford to take a vacation out of the country (i.e. an international vacation)?
In recent years I've taken one rather expensive vacation (due to # of kids) each year and then maybe 2 weekenders.

This year, a week in FL will be 5500 or so. The weekenders are pretty cheap.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
We try to get away even for an extended weekend every 2-3 mos. We go to Key West about 2 times a year, airfare and cottage $1,500, up North for Christmas for a week and stay at a cheap hotel ie. Day's Inn $32.00 a night for a week. A couple of weekend trips to the beach, we can get a very nice hotel room for $79.00 nt. on weekends.
I put money away every month to go toward vacations, we eat at home almost all the time and save the money we would have spent going out to restaurants.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
We're pretty frugal. But we also take one boffo vacation a year, as opposed to crashing at the relative's house. Life is way too short.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I don't especially like to travel that much either. I take time off work twice a year, but don't usually go anywhere. I think my last destination vacation was about 6 years ago, we went to Disneyworld. Total cost was about $3000ish if I remember correctly.

Other than that, I leave town for weddings and funerals. Did go to a wedding in wine country, California about a year ago that was sort of a mini-vacation.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I, too, am frugal throughout the year so we can include vacations in our budget. We take two big vacations per year.

1. We spend one week per summer in Cape May, NJ. We go the last week of June right before the summer rates go into effect. We are a family of 5, and we get an efficiency motel room. We buy groceries at the local supermarket and eat breakfast and lunch in the room or use the barbeque around the pool. Dinner we eat out - usually pizza, burgers, and other casual dinners. For fun we swim, ride our bikes, go to the beach, take walks, visit the nature center and lighthouse, etc. We buy ice cream cones for the kids a couple of nights, a night of miniature golf, $10 each to spend at the arcade all week, etc. Overall, we can usually get away with spending about $1200 including gas to get there (4 hours away). We stay 6 nights.

2. We visit our folks in Florida over Christmas. Admittedly, this is cheap for us because we have somewhere free to stay. Cost is essentially gas to get down there and back. For entertainment, we visit a lot of nature centers and national parks which usually cost $5 or $10 for the carload. We go to the children's museums which are usually about $20 for the day for our family and lots of playgrounds and spray parks which are free and a treat in December! We spend a couple days at the beach and most afternoons around the pool. We shop at the grocery stores and eat most of our meals in the condo. We treat everyone to dinner one night, and usually my parents treat us one night as well. I think we probably only spend about $600, most of which is gas to get down there.

3. We do frequent weekend trips to visit family in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. We usually go camping once or twice a year and may spend a weekend or two away.

In total, we budget $2400 per year for travel for a family of 5, which I think is pretty frugal.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I try to take 1 a year. In the future I'll do 2 a year.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How many vacations do you take, how far from home do you typically go and how much do you spend?

Is there any such thing as a *frugal* vacation?

On another note, what percentage of the american population do you think can even afford to take a vacation out of the country (i.e. an international vacation)?
Prior to having kids (10 years ago!) we took one "destination" vacation per year of five days. These were usually 500 or more miles away, and we flew. Destinations included Albuquerque NM, Tucson AZ and Victoria BC. We would spend $1500-$2k per trip.

Since having young kids we've stayed more local or visited family for vacation. Most vacations have been under $1k. We live in a rural location, and have tended to drive to one of the nearby cities for a vacation. These vacations have definitely been frugal, coming in under $1k (sometimes significantly so) As the kids age we are changing this, with a planned Disney trip this fall. We plan to take other big trips with them in future years, as we want them to experience as much as possible. We have also bought a camper, and plan to use it for long weekends this year.

Most importantly, I live in a place I rarely feel the need to vacate from. If you enjoy where you live, why leave often?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Most importantly, I live in a place I rarely feel the need to vacate from. If you enjoy where you live, why leave often?
Agreed . I live in a place where many come to vacation, so of I need a break I go to the beach for a few hours and I'm usually good.

As for vacations, we only get 5 days of vacation a year at work, so it can be tough to take extended breaks. I do take weekend trips pretty often, usually up to San Francisco or down to LA, and once every other month or so me and a few friends take a long weekend to Vegas. $80 for round trip airfare

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Vacations are worth the money for me and they are one of the reasons I live frugally. I want to be able to afford a vacation! I save for vacations.

Travel isn't cheap but there are ways to make it more reasonable. The scenery and attractions are the same if you are in a 5 star hotel or a local B&B. You just spend a lot less to sleep at night and take a shower. I shop for cheap flights or charters with extra space available. I try to be flexible on destinations and go to places that are 'on sale'. I watch currency and try to travel when the dollar is doing well against the local currency.

For example, Tahiti is a high buck destination I love. I have been there three times. I usually stay on Moorea, a smaller island only 8 miles away by ferry from Papeete. I will stay in a B&B, rent a condo, or small hotel. I usually book space with a charter, Nouvelle Frontieres. Restaurant food is very expensive so I shop in the local stores and do a lot of meals in my room. Is this frugal? Probably not but my vacation is much less than most people spend for 2 weeks in paradise.

If I wanted to cruise French Polynesia, I would probably book the Aremiti freighter service from island to island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living