Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,294 times

Advertisements

I see ads for hulu (and sling and philo, etc) and they seem to offer a way to save money over Spectrum.

The websites for these guys provides scant information on what's required to run 3 TV's (only 1 of which is a Smart TV). What channels do they offer on their 60 channel deals ?? I find myself watching mostly PBS, C-Span, and the Cable News channels, maybe an old movie on TMC.

Spectrum's basic package costs too much.....a change is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Hulu is just another site for tv shows and movies, like Netflix...so no help with cable.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i have hulu now because there was some show my wife wanted to watch. still have everything else though. patiently waiting for when i can cancel something.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Would "sling" be something along the same lines ??

Spectrum has a price structure that is designed to get you to sign up for additional "tiers" that offer 57 channels but only 3 or 4 that are worth watching. And their tiers are rigged so that if you like the History type channels, there's 2 on Tier 1 and 2 others on Tier 2. The DIY type channels are split up the same way.

I don't even have Premium HBO or Showtime, and the bill is over $200 !!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
How about rabbit ears?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I haven't had cable for years. The big change for me is using the computer to get news instead of the TV. My SO would say he misses baseball. But I don't miss paying $100 plus for cable that advertises 100's of channels just trying to sell me something. I think there is actually more available to watch if you stream.

Right now I have hulu, Netflix, and Prime. I use roku because none of my TVs are smart. I also have an antenna. I tried Sling a couple times when they advertised they were streaming the World Series but that turned out to be a lie! I love bingewatching. Just pick out a series you want to see and you can watch the whole thing. No more waiting a week for a new episode.

Streaming is only a bargain if you already have fast internet. If you are going to pay for that anyway, streaming is the way to go.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:28 PM

361 posts, read 385,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post

I don't even have Premium HBO or Showtime, and the bill is over $200 !!

We had Spectrum also. I looked at the bill and it was about $200 for landline, basic cable (no premium channels), and Wi-Fi.

We dropped the landline and cable and retained the wifi. It costs alone $65.00.

I'm really an analog person so I had my young one figure out the rest. He purchased us an AppleTV device at WallyWorld for a $100 and installed YoutubeTV, Hulu and Netflix. The subscription costs are about $50 total. With YouTubeTV we receive the local channels, I'm not sure if that is true in all areas.

So our bill is about a $100 less for a more, to me anyway, satisfying experience. Insofar as the landline goes, we only had it to get a "bundle deal". Never even had a phone hooked up to it for the last 5 to ten years.

I'm certain others will chime in with even thriftier ideas. The only downside is that we no longer have that enormous Spectrum remote. Always thought it could double as a melee weapon in the event of a zombie attack.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:47 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,704 times
I may be wrong, but i think what you are looking for is something like Hulu live tv or AT&T Directtvnow. These are streaming services that are similar to cable tv. Here is a link for Hulu: https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

These have actual stations, not just old movies and tv shows. They are maybe a little less than cable. I think around $35 to $40 a month. They stream to your tv, so you need a smart tv or a streaming device like a Roku. Hope this is helpful information.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I see ads for hulu (and sling and philo, etc) and they seem to offer a way to save money over Spectrum.

The websites for these guys provides scant information on what's required to run 3 TV's (only 1 of which is a Smart TV). What channels do they offer on their 60 channel deals ?? I find myself watching mostly PBS, C-Span, and the Cable News channels, maybe an old movie on TMC.

Spectrum's basic package costs too much.....a change is needed.

1) How do you get your Internet? Any service requires a connection

2) Can you get 'over the air' TV with an antenna?

Once you know the answers to those questions it is a matter of seeing what the cost is for a service that provides the channels you want that are not available over the air.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM

Our Internet is part of the Spectrum $200 bundle.....that's the best part of their package.

Would CSPAN and the Cable News channels be "over the air" with rabbit ears ??
Is ATT Direct TV via satellite ??

The Spectrum Basic plus 10 fave channels is the best deal but only available to new accounts. Do I have to switch services every 2 years to look like a new customer ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living