Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wow! Did not know that. I'm glad we just decided to go with our Roku - which gives us so much content we could never watch it all anyway, and a basic internet service.
My usual comment to audiences has been, "Did you ever notice you could cook an egg on your DVR?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 01:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,896 times
We cut cable about 2 years ago. Over time we budgeted to buy a Roku, a DVR (Channel Master). We already owned a Blue Ray player and the smart tv. After we hooked everything up we also bought an hdmi splitter ($6) and an indoor antenna ($10) that works better than the antenna in our attic. We also have Netflix at $11/month. Our Internet and landline package costs $85/month. It was $150/ month with the basic cable package.

We have more to watch than we have hours to watch it. We have only lost cable channels but any specific programs can often be bought on Amazon Video (you do not need Prime) or You Tube. My husband is not a sports guy. We occasionally binge on a series that we can but on Amazon for $15 for the whole series.

Setting things up took most of a Saturday and lots of patience. The Channel Master interface is very much like a cable box and the family found it easy to navigate. It allows you to record two channels at the same time or watch one and record another. I think they might also have a 4 channel option. Roku is intuitive.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
I found a deal for Philo this morning for anyone interested.

Right now if you buy 6 months of Philo Plus you can get the service for $16.50 a month instead of $20 a month. This works out to 6 months of Philo Plus for just $99.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/phil...-black-friday/

Old 11-22-2018, 07:31 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Everyone's getting on the bandwagon. Saw a big display in Walmart yesterday: "CUT THE CORD!"
Didn't stop to look at what the gizmo's were that they were selling, but I'm sure it was one of the many aforementioned on here.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
I save a ton, and have more to watch than I ever did before. Technically I could have had a ton with cable, but the DVR would only hold so much. This way, they are holding all the content for me.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
Hulu Black Friday event- $1/month for 12 months -

https://www.hulu.com/welcome

Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
We dumped Spectrum cable in March and now have YouTube TV. Love it. Saving a hundred bucks a month. We have our three big network/local affiliate stations and around 40 channels. Takes a bit to get used to, but now I feel it is actually a better user interface. We get it with a Roku stick. We put up antennas but don’t even use them. For the money, I think it’s the best right now.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We dumped Spectrum cable in March and now have YouTube TV. Love it. Saving a hundred bucks a month. We have our three big network/local affiliate stations and around 40 channels. Takes a bit to get used to, but now I feel it is actually a better user interface. We get it with a Roku stick. We put up antennas but don’t even use them. For the money, I think it’s the best right now.
So if you get You Tube tv, how do you get PBS? Would I buy an antenna to get it? That's the channel we watch most. And I'm confused as to how to switch back and forth. I have Roku which I haven't used in a long time. I would get You Tube tv through the Roku and then how do you switch over to the antenna tv? And I want to get Brit Box for British tv channels. Feel like my pea brain is going to explode--I am not a techie type person.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:25 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
You do it on your TV's commands, not your Roku commands. You change the "input" or "source" to TV or HDMI or cable or whatever. Easily go back and forth.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:43 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So if you get You Tube tv, how do you get PBS? Would I buy an antenna to get it? That's the channel we watch most.
Antenna.
Give $60/year to your local station and you can get PBS Passport thru a box.
But for direct local watching--antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living