Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Camping / living in a van vs a car is a major upgrade.

RV Cheap living usually means BLM boondocking, as campgrounds are much more $$ than I spend / night in guest homes. (no repair costs or maint trouble doing that).

If RV'ing

Keep it simple.

My older RVs have been very robust, compared to new plastic and electronic equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 03:53 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Another way to save dollars while traveling and meet people is to do a home stay while volunteering some hours working in the garden or a building project. Most require about 4 hours a day of work and then you have time to work on your own projects or sightseeing or what have you. I am currently signed up with HelpX.org, which has worldwide listings.

My favorite was about three years ago when they wanted help with their one year old baby and I got to play grandma with the sweetest little thing.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Another way to save dollars while traveling and meet people is to do a home stay while volunteering some hours working in the garden or a building project. Most require about 4 hours a day of work and then you have time to work on your own projects or sightseeing or what have you. I am currently signed up with HelpX.org, which has worldwide listings.

My favorite was about three years ago when they wanted help with their one year old baby and I got to play grandma with the sweetest little thing.
I would love to play grandma! But, with my back I can't garden anymore. I can do things in spurts, example; I'm getting the apartment ready for the yearly inspection and doing things in spurts.

It's never dirty, just messy at times. And there's the periodic cleaning of stove and refrigerators. Everything takes me so much longer than it used to.

So my help would be limited. I've learned how to utilize spaces so I am not bending so much, which would actually come in handy living in a smaller space, but if I do have to be in my knees I then have to crawl to a chair or couch to get back up. I could be a cook or help in other areas, just nothing to do with bending.

It's a thought. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I could be a cook or help in other areas, just nothing to do with bending.

It's a thought. Thanks!
I’ve volunteered at a summer camp doing that, or managing the camp, for the last 20 years. Also, the people with the baby were so thrilled to have me watch her that they didn’t ask me to work in the garden lol. I did anyway because I like to garden, but truthfully anyone, well almost anyone, can make themselves of use to someone and still do what you love best.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Umbria, I'll probably just do it for a week or so at a time (although I am a Minnesota girl and we all know how tough we are!).

It's fun to think of it and watch the videos but I really do like my apartment and the area I'm in. Seeing the woman who are out there, I am impressed. If I had not been in the accident. If I had not had back surgery, even though it's better, it would be a different story but life is what it is.

I do think it will be fun in small portions. I think I'll enjoy that.

I think it will be great to meet these folks, especially since it seems they focus on Arizona. But my reality is that I like my conveniences and I am making it just fine here. Not living high off the hog but when your main hobbies are reading and crocheting, not much is needed.
My favorite hobbies are reading and knitting, and I can do them in a van as well as in a 2500 sq ft house.

It's the other stuff that stops me from full-timing - including, literally, my precious stuff.

Working on that...

Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I can cook, sleep, stand-up, sit-down, watch movies in my van. I have a twin mattress that I simply
flip-up and attach it to the wall of the van when I am done sleeping, it takes-up just about no useable space.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Meo;

Have you checked out the "Camping and RVing" subforum of the Travel forum here on C-D?

It might have some useful info for you.....

Check it out!

Old 12-20-2018, 11:52 AM

An update:
I've been slowly buying camp supplies. A cooler (on sale), a camping tent (on sale), a butane cook stove, one burner, a luggable loo (for a potty), a camp chair, a camp cot and an inflatable mattress. I have some nice wooden small fold up tables my grandfather made. Every time I use them I get flashbacks of good memories of when I used to trail him all over his farm.

I can use a small pan to boil water for coffee. I do have a French press. I'm not going to go extreme on food and may just eat tuna and peanut butter sandwiches along with canned fruit. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've decided to go to the Woman's 4 day rtr. It sounds a lot smaller. I'm taking my cat. I actually found a pet booster seat for the car at Goodwill, so even if she hates it I'll only be out a couple of dollars.

We'll sleep in the tent and I will be surrounded by other women so it shouldn't be scary. most likely I'll keep the cat harness on her and use a leash if she wants to go outside. Lately she's been afraid to go out. I think it's the neighborhood kids that scare her.

This will be a great opportunity for me to see if it's something I would care to do. The big rtr, with thousands of people scares me, but the woman's one sounds great.

Another thing I was just reading about is that people have handed into caravans. They are small groups and travel to blm land together. That's something to think about. And one utuber I really enjoy reading volunteers at blm long term vacation sites. She gets free camping for a few days week work. That's another thought.

I'm really excited about exploring this further.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
An update:
I've been slowly buying camp supplies. A cooler (on sale), a camping tent (on sale), a butane cook stove, one burner, a luggable loo (for a potty), a camp chair, a camp cot and an inflatable mattress. I have some nice wooden small fold up tables my grandfather made. Every time I use them I get flashbacks of good memories of when I used to trail him all over his farm.

I can use a small pan to boil water for coffee. I do have a French press. I'm not going to go extreme on food and may just eat tuna and peanut butter sandwiches along with canned fruit. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've decided to go to the Woman's 4 day rtr. It sounds a lot smaller. I'm taking my cat. I actually found a pet booster seat for the car at Goodwill, so even if she hates it I'll only be out a couple of dollars.

We'll sleep in the tent and I will be surrounded by other women so it shouldn't be scary. most likely I'll keep the cat harness on her and use a leash if she wants to go outside. Lately she's been afraid to go out. I think it's the neighborhood kids that scare her.

This will be a great opportunity for me to see if it's something I would care to do. The big rtr, with thousands of people scares me, but the woman's one sounds great.

Another thing I was just reading about is that people have handed into caravans. They are small groups and travel to blm land together. That's something to think about. And one utuber I really enjoy reading volunteers at blm long term vacation sites. She gets free camping for a few days week work. That's another thought.

I'm really excited about exploring this further.
That's great, I hope you keep us posted!

Old 12-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's the only aspect that I'd say warrants thinking about. Even if that's AFTER taxes etc it's TOO much.
But shifting to an RV/Nomad isn't likely to help.
Just a response. That's after Medicare & part D. I have applied for section 8 but if they use the gross amount for the 33% rather than what I actually have to live on, there would only be a $50 reduction in rent.

I also would never get an rv. It's not necessary and not required. Checking into pricing a passenger van, preferably a high top. I'll find out more what others are doing as time goes on. I have 9 months before I decide what I want to do.

I'll also get an idea of cost at the women's rtr me what others are paying for things. My internet and electricity easily run another $100 a month. So really, I am living on very little right now. I'm not complaining as getting this apartment was the right thing to do. I could not have stood another winter in Minnesota. But it's time to explore other options, whether it be a cheaper apartment or a van or whatever.I

IF I decide I want that lifestyle, selling my car should provide substantially towards the purchase of a van. A lot to think about (I love my car) but plenty of time to make decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living