Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I travel with my cat. She doesn't love it, but she accepts it better than she accepted being home alone (for short trips) or in a kennel (for long trips). But she's older and sleeps most of the time anyway - and I suspect she would have objected pretty strenuously when she was younger! It all depends on the cat. There are other RVing cats around too.
I was going to volunteer this info if you hadn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just curious — how do those of you who travel with pets while living in your vans or cars keep them safe from heatstroke when it's necessary to leave them alone in a parked vehicle? Things heat up really quickly when outdoor temps are 70 or higher.
I’m not a full-timer. But the solution is straight-forward - it’s a big country, go where the weather is decent, and don’t leave your furry friend alone in the car for hours on end.

On a recent trip though, I did wind up in hot weather. My van has A/C, so traveling was not a problem. When I got wHere I was going, I was parked in the shade, and had electricity, so I could run a fan. I had her outside on a leash whenever possible. And then there was the misting gadget, it turned out my long-haired cat quite enjoyed getting misted.

The thing is, I would change my travel plans if it seemed that I couldn’t keep my cat comfortable.

Petunia knows!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
I’m not a full-timer. But the solution is straight-forward - it’s a big country, go where the weather is decent, and don’t leave your furry friend alone in the car for hours on end.

On a recent trip though, I did wind up in hot weather. My van has A/C, so traveling was not a problem. When I got wHere I was going, I was parked in the shade, and had electricity, so I could run a fan. I had her outside on a leash whenever possible. And then there was the misting gadget, it turned out my long-haired cat quite enjoyed getting misted.

The thing is, I would change my travel plans if it seemed that I couldn’t keep my cat comfortable.

Petunia knows!
OK, well, like I said, temperatures can heat up to unsafe levels really quickly even if it's only 70 degrees out, so it can be a problem even for those who don't leave their pets in their vehicles for hours on end or who stick with where the weather isn't hot. At 70 degrees, the interior temperature of a vehicle can reach 104 in 30 minutes, and cracking windows and parking in the shade only slow it down a little. I don't think it's as straightforward or as easy as it sounds. I live in an area where it rarely gets over 70, and there's lots of drama about animals left in cars even for short periods of time.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK, well, like I said, temperatures can heat up to unsafe levels really quickly even if it's only 70 degrees out, so it can be a problem even for those who don't leave their pets in their vehicles for hours on end or who stick with where the weather isn't hot. At 70 degrees, the interior temperature of a vehicle can reach 104 in 30 minutes, and cracking windows and parking in the shade only slow it down a little. I don't think it's as straightforward or as easy as it sounds. I live in an area where it rarely gets over 70, and there's lots of drama about animals left in cars even for short periods of time.
Shrug. All I can say is that I don’t think it’s all that hard.

And I’m a person who leaves scolding notes on the windshields of cars parked in the sun with pets in them, and then keeps an eye on the vehicle, ready to call the cops if the animal starts to look seriously distressed.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Shrug. All I can say is that I don’t think it’s all that hard.

And I’m a person who leaves scolding notes on the windshields of cars parked in the sun with pets in them, and then keeps an eye on the vehicle, ready to call the cops if the animal starts to look seriously distressed.
Same experience here. I just don’t feel the need to leave my dog in the car for a long time anyway...she goes with me usually. Now that’s it’s cooling off tho I’m knitting her a sweater.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:57 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
What I would do is stock up on whatever I might need before I went anywhere so I wouldn't have to leave her alone in the car. At first it wouldn't be that long and I could easily buy a week's worth of groceries. If the time came where I did decide to go full-time, hopefully I'll have met people I could trust to watch her while I ran to the store.

I do intend to buy a battery operated fan though. I'm not going to invest in solar panels at first, although I might as they have suitcase ones.

I did buy my cat a leash when I first got her but she's never let me put it on her. She just might not mind when we park at a campsite because she is afraid of people and other animals.

I do plan on going to places with decent weather (not hard to do in Arizona), not too hot and definitely not cold. Over 60 years in Minnesota cured me of cold.

I still have so much to learn before I go on a simple camping trip. I haven't been camping since I was a girl scout, and that was many years ago.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I do intend to buy a battery operated fan though. I'm not going to invest in solar panels at first, although I might as they have suitcase ones.
I have a fan that plugs into a USB port for charging but I’ve rarely felt the need to use it. I’m glad I have it though. And I think you’re wise to hold off on the electricity just yet because you may not use much. I don’t really watch tv or movies much and mostly read for fun so all I’ve really needed to charge is my phone and iPad. You may not need much either.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What I would do is stock up on whatever I might need before I went anywhere so I wouldn't have to leave her alone in the car. At first it wouldn't be that long and I could easily buy a week's worth of groceries. If the time came where I did decide to go full-time, hopefully I'll have met people I could trust to watch her while I ran to the store.

I did buy my cat a leash when I first got her but she's never let me put it on her. She just might not mind when we park at a campsite because she is afraid of people and other animals.

I do plan on going to places with decent weather (not hard to do in Arizona), not too hot and definitely not cold. Over 60 years in Minnesota cured me of cold.

I still have so much to learn before I go on a simple camping trip. I haven't been camping since I was a girl scout, and that was many years ago.
Try a short trip close to home. You'll find out pretty quickly if you have overlooked anything. If it's not working out, cut the trip short and go home.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Meo, You are lucky that you have a car you can camp in. Don't spend money on things for a van, focus on general camping gear that you'll use with the car. I understand the lure of nature but at our age it could get old if it is everyday.

You have a subsidized apartment with a patio and a view. I can't imagine wanting to give that up. You'll need a place to come home to, do laundry, etc.

I don't know if cooling was discussed in another thread, but I have a Koolatron cooler that runs off a 12 volt cigarette lighter. I start out with a big cube of ice in one corner. I mean water frozen in a cube like container. Another benefit of a 2-3 day trip you get home before the ice melts all the way. On a longer trip I have asked RV dwellers to freeze up a little water bottle for me.

Last edited by creeksitter; 11-08-2018 at 08:16 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Meo, You are lucky that you have a car you can camp in. Don't spend money on things for a van, focus on general camping gear that you'll use with the car. ....
I Use a $800 minivan with 'stow-away' seating.. great for Car 'living' or camping / sightseeing / stealthcamping.

Gets 24 mpg (not as good as my station wagon (52 mpg on free fuel)

Each can take a Motoraide hot water heater + outdoor shower + a platform for bed / supplies / storage.

and a hitch for Snowbear (to haul extra stuff / garage sale / antique shopping)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living