Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:18 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,288,650 times

Advertisements

It appeals to me in a lot of ways but, I am just now exploring. In many ways I think it sounds wonderful but...do I really want t do that?

I just may go to the rondevu this coming year, January 9-20, to find out.

Parts of me say, no way do I want to give up what I 'vs got. Parts of me say, think of the freedom, living under the stars, the closeness to nature.

Last edited by elnina; 09-26-2019 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Title typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 03:05 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Are you able to be mobile?
(Retired, occupation allows travel etc)

I lived in an Airstream full time for 3 years

You want to go north in Summer and South in Winter.

I've also lived (by choice) out of a vehicle for months and back when lived off a motorcycle 4-6 weeks\year.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:42 AM

I'm retired. I currently live below my income, which is why I'm not sure it's something I would do. I just turned 65 and the folks on the website I'm looking at stay in Arizona it seems. I moved to Arizona a year ago and love living here.

There's so much to think about though. It would be nice to be by folks that have a common theme or goal, yet it took me so long to have what I have, furniture, etc. I did downsize before I moved here and only kept what I felt was important. I have nice furniture and 'thing's that I love. Very little of that would fit in a van. Some would though.

And it would have to be a van. I couldn't drive an rv, nor would I want to. I would have to sell my current car, a 2010 Nissan Cube because it is not large enough and it has been such a good vehicle. I would be taking a chance buying a different vehicle.

I am currently debt free. I refuse to get a credit card because it took me too long to get out of that rat race. I use my debit card only. If I don't have the money I don't buy the product.

I just renewed my lease on my apartment so I have a year to think about it. Almost half my income goes for rent. It's a nice place with a washer, dryer and dishwasher in the apartment and with the low cost of living here, I still come out ahead of the game. So it would be more for the companionship of like minded people.

There's a lot to think about.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Almost half my income goes for rent. ... There's a lot to think about.
That's the only aspect that I'd say warrants thinking about. Even if that's AFTER taxes etc it's TOO much.
But shifting to an RV/Nomad isn't likely to help.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm retired. I currently live below my income, which is why I'm not sure it's something I would do. I just turned 65 and the folks on the website I'm looking at stay in Arizona it seems. I moved to Arizona a year ago and love living here.

There's so much to think about though. It would be nice to be by folks that have a common theme or goal, yet it took me so long to have what I have, furniture, etc. I did downsize before I moved here and only kept what I felt was important. I have nice furniture and 'thing's that I love. Very little of that would fit in a van. Some would though.

And it would have to be a van. I couldn't drive an rv, nor would I want to. I would have to sell my current car, a 2010 Nissan Cube because it is not large enough and it has been such a good vehicle. I would be taking a chance buying a different vehicle.

I am currently debt free. I refuse to get a credit card because it took me too long to get out of that rat race. I use my debit card only. If I don't have the money I don't buy the product.

I just renewed my lease on my apartment so I have a year to think about it. Almost half my income goes for rent. It's a nice place with a washer, dryer and dishwasher in the apartment and with the low cost of living here, I still come out ahead of the game. So it would be more for the companionship of like minded people.

There's a lot to think about.
If you are already living below your means, you have the resources to try before you buy. Literally. Rent a Haul van and try it out for short trips. Outfit the van with camping gear, which is easy to find, and doesn't require you to permanently modify anything.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:12 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Just be advised, there is a lot of heat coming down on RVers and similar. It has a lot to do with the very poor behavior of a percentage of people who live this lifestyle......causes many to have a jaundiced eye on most RVers.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hi Meo --

I think you were very wise to renew your lease. I am actually surprised to hear you are unhappy! I saw one of your posts where you said you are enjoying life in Arizona.

In the Retirement Forum, I think the posters tend to generally run on the wealthier side, and may be naive about how little money some of us live on. Some of the comments tend to be arrogant.

My family and I live within a strict budget ourselves, so I do understand. But I NEVER take a chance on giving up a rent-subsidized apartment. It is a situation of demand and supply -- too many other people want them and it is a HUGE financial risk to give it up. Especially since the apartment is so nice and even has it's own w/d. Do you have to pay for electricity and water separately? If not, there is even more reason to stay in the apartment.

Purchasing a small RV and travelling around the country can be an adventure. But it comes with a price -- it takes quite a bit of gas to drive it around, and extra fuel to tow your car behind it. My daughter's in-law's just sold their home and are going to do this this winter. But it will take cold hard cash to pay for the lot rent in one place; they have several adult children and I think the other kids have farms/land and there will be no charge. But one is in MN and it is too cold for them to stay in the RV in the winter, so that will not work. You usually have to get the traditional Medicare, too, to cover out-of-state medical and that is more expensive too -- rather than a local Medicare Advantage plan. They only pay for emergency care if you are out of their jurisdiction.

Maybe, now that you have been there a year, you can start to put down some roots. Volunteer work at the animal shelter? Perhaps check out some of the local churches -- not just the service -- but going to Sunday School or a women's group -- that seems to be the only way to get to know people at a church. We switched churches 2 and a 1/2 years ago, and participating in the groups is the way we have met people.

Right now, because I have been sick for 3 months, I probably sound kind of negative. But I honestly did not anticipate getting sick like this at my age [62], and it is scary. As you know, I have my brother and husband to deal with, too. I start my IV meds tomorrow and I hope they help. I guess that makes me scared -- because it is taking so long to get better and I do not really know the timeline with my husband.

So, Meo, I am glad you did sign the lease. Wandering around pulling an RV only works for so long. Sooner or later you have to get something repaired and that is a big ticket expense. It can work if you are acting as a Camp Host and get free rent, but those spots are usually kept by the same people for a number of years.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Meo. Please keep them coming!

Old 10-29-2018, 12:55 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Right now, because I have been sick for 3 months, I probably sound kind of negative. But I honestly did not anticipate getting sick like this at my age [62], and it is scary. As you know, I have my brother and husband to deal with, too. I start my IV meds tomorrow and I hope they help. I guess that makes me scared -- because it is taking so long to get better and I do not really know the timeline with my husband.

So, Meo, I am glad you did sign the lease. Wandering around pulling an RV only works for so long. Sooner or later you have to get something repaired and that is a big ticket expense. It can work if you are acting as a Camp Host and get free rent, but those spots are usually kept by the same people for a number of years.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Meo. Please keep them coming!
Sounds like a fun way to live until it ISN'T. You get sick or disabled in some minor way, the RV starts to have problems, a space you counted on for parking it falls through, your "home" ends up damaged by weather (recalling a few weather related disasters where the main losses were to RVs or manufactured homes) or a moving accident, etc etc etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Hollyhockgarden, I am not unhappy with my situation. I love where I'm living but I am intrigued by the traveling lifestyle.

I've never really traveled. I did spend three years in San Francisco and loved it but I was much younger and the cost of housing was not as through the roof as it is now.

I did mention that I would not get an rv but a van. I'm exploring options in life. Thinking outside the box type of thing. It took me two full years of research before I moved out of Minnesota. And look what happened. I may even explore in my Cube. Who knows?

I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. I sincerely hope you get better soon. I know how hard it was for me after the car accident and the length of time it took for them to find and fix, as well as they could, my back issues.

Thoughts of my wandering away from Minnesota didn't become a reality until my son died. It really makes you stop and think when something like that happens. At least it did me.

Life is an adventure. I spent so many years being unable to move far away from my son, when I finally moved I was scared to death to leave familiar surroundings but I'm sure glad I did.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you are already living below your means, you have the resources to try before you buy. Literally. Rent a Haul van and try it out for short trips. Outfit the van with camping gear, which is easy to find, and doesn't require you to permanently modify anything.
That's a thought.

I'm able to live as I do mainly because it took so long for me to downsize to where I am now and I don't want to ever go through that again. So, I consciously think before I buy anything. There's not much I need.

Let's face it, by the time a frugal person retires, you have most, if not all, of the clothes you need. You probably have all the kitchen pots, pans, dishes, etc. The only things I spend money on are food and organizers for my apartment. I left a lot behind because I wasn't sure what I would need here. I have bought some articles of clothing because there is no comparison between Minnesota and Arizona weather. But even that has been minimal.

I may have more thoughts on living differently. I've never done anything other than work and I haven't explored much of Arizona. It's such a beautiful state and there's so much to see. The way I live I can afford to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living