Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times

Advertisements

OP

I have been watching the same YouTube videos and cannot wait to get out there. There are a few obstacles currently, but I research it every day.

All of them seem content with their decision. One thing that does not appeal to me is to be forever in camping clothing. Even if it is a military shower, I have to have a shower every day and the opportunity to wear decent clothing. I completely see that as doable even if we are mostly boondocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Obviously it is not for everyone but I do this every day and it’s not that big of a deal. When I get sick of it i well find a place that I want to live and settle down. Several of you on here have the attitude that you can’t go back. That because you’re out on the road in a van you’re just gonna have to be homeless for the rest of your life. I suppose that could happen among the range of possibilities but it’s not likely if you have some cushion. As for me, I love the lifestyle, stealth camping, find in bathrooms, and figuring out how to get clean. All of it.
Excuse me? I just wanted to provide the OP with another look at this way of life, especially after I read the hyperbolic narrative on the website she's following.

I'm glad you "love it all," though I noticed you mention that you stealth camp in residential neighborhoods. Some people are getting...well, tired of strange vans and RVs showing up in front of their homes. Not all business owners want you there either.

Not everyone can go back, btw, once they're living in a van. Sounds like the OP may be on a limited income, which would make it much more difficult to get reestablished when van life wears thin, which is why I mentioned it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-04-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Excuse me? I just wanted to provide the OP with another look at this way of life, especially after I read the hyperbolic narrative on the website she's following.

I'm glad you "love it all," though I noticed you mention that you stealth camp in residential neighborhoods. Some people are getting...well, tired of strange vans and RVs showing up in front of their homes. Not all business owners want you there either.

Not everyone can go back, btw, once they're living in a van. Sounds like the OP may be on a limited income, which would make it much more difficult to get reestablished when van life wears thin, which is why I mentioned it.
I didn’t think I was being rude but maybe I’m wrong. I’m going to bow out now and let you all talk the OP out of it.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:

I'm retired. I live on social security and a pension. I have savings and investments that keep growing as I haven't touched the principal. If I do this, once I can no longer travel I'll settle down in a retirement community.

I worked all my life and now want to do the things I was unable to do while working.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
OP

I have been watching the same YouTube videos and cannot wait to get out there. There are a few obstacles currently, but I research it every day.

All of them seem content with their decision. One thing that does not appeal to me is to be forever in camping clothing. Even if it is a military shower, I have to have a shower every day and the opportunity to wear decent clothing. I completely see that as doable even if we are mostly boondocking.
I can't remember who posted it but there was a person with a very small spin washer who washed his clothes and took a shower every day. Doable.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
There are people living in vans either by choice or necessity. I have a small RV and have met all kinds on the road. Have taken 3 week trips and although you get into a routine, it is always nice to have a permanent home to go back to.

Something to consider is a Ford Transit van which can be used as a camper and a daily driver. The 4 cylinders are fairly fuel efficient. I have met a few living in the transit full time and many that are weekend campers.

You could always rent a van and outfit it fairly cheap to try living in it for a week or two to get a feel for the lifestyle. As always be cautious are there are some dangers out there.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm retired. I live on social security and a pension. I have savings and investments that keep growing as I haven't touched the principal. If I do this, once I can no longer travel I'll settle down in a retirement community.

I worked all my life and now want to do the things I was unable to do while working.
Then by all means, go live the dream.

Please do understand, though, that people in some areas are pushing back on stealth camping when it comes to neighborhoods and businesses. Can't blame them for being suspicious of strange vans. People have no way of knowing if you're a harmless senior citizen on a lark or someone with bad intentions.

Tiny homes were trendy a few years ago, now it's living in vans.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Obviously it is not for everyone but I do this every day and it’s not that big of a deal. When I get sick of it i well find a place that I want to live and settle down. Several of you on here have the attitude that you can’t go back. That because you’re out on the road in a van you’re just gonna have to be homeless for the rest of your life. I suppose that could happen among the range of possibilities but it’s not likely if you have some cushion. As for me, I love the lifestyle, stealth camping, find in bathrooms, and figuring out how to get clean. All of it.
It’s a fun challenge. I get it. I like it, too.

As for showers, it’s like no one ever heard of sponge baths. You do have a way to heat water, right?

Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
That website really romanticizes something that's maybe not so great in real life. Here's a look at the darkside of that life:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ife-2017-11-06

Even if you've got enough of an income to not need a job, I can't imagine that constantly stealth camping to avoid fees and always having to look for a place to shower or even use the restroom is a good way to live on a full time basis. Why not just buy a van and enjoy taking trips several times per year?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but there's a dark side to consumerist suburban living too.

Yes, there are people living in RVs who have few to no other options. There are others who do have options and are living just as they want to live.

You seem to have a problem with that.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 PM

I would also like to mention that, with my small income and what I pay out each month for rent, utilities, etc, I still manage to save each month. Reducing those expenses would only give me more to save and live on when I had to return to 'normal' life.

I've always been frugal. My big expense was buying corporate clothing. Which I mostly gave away after I retired. I kept some for the what if's in life but haven't used them yet.

Also, everdeen, Bob Wells showed a stand up shower and different pumps for water. Looked neat. And one woman devised a shower using her van back doors, a shower curtain and one of the water pumps. Yes, she's in a safe, secure group when she uses it in this manner.

Lots of innovation from people who have been living this lifestyle.

Last edited by meo92953; 11-04-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living