Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I live in a town of 50,000 and there are five "Dollar Stores" that I know of, although I can't break it down by Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. They tend to proliferate in areas where the economy is a bit depressed, which is why Cloudy Dayz is seeing more of them in his/her area as other businesses leave. One in my town is in the same shopping plaza as a perfectly decent grocery store, so it's not lack of other choices.

I haven't shopped at any of them. I divide my grocery shopping between Costco, where I trust their meat and produce, and one of the "mainstream" grocery stores, which has a bigger selection than the dollar stores. I pretty much have the same things on my shopping list week in and week out- just depends on what needs replenishing- so I don't like the "random" aspect of Dollar Store selections.

My SIL loves Dollar Stores because she can take her grandkids there and get them a lot of little toys and games for not much money, but I try to avoid Made in China so that's out for me.
Yeah, Costco is too far away from me. But Walmart and Fred Myers are about 20 miles away. But even the local overpriced grocery stores could easily beat the prices I saw in this Dollar General. I will be surprised if this new store lasts a year. I just don't see them getting any business with their prices, and bad selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
What you've described is Dollar General's business model: Build in struggling areas and attempt to become a "corner store." There's one in my city (but in one of the nicest residential areas, so I'm not really sure why they're there) and it seems kind of dingy and shady to me. I have been there a couple of times but I'd rather go to the real grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart or whatever.

I do go to Dollar Tree, though. They have some good deals! I get storage containers, greeting cards, sometimes holiday decorations like wreath forms or artificial flowers, LED candles, things like that. You need to look at how much a similar item would cost at other nearby stores, though; not everything is a good deal.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I like Dollar Tree where everything is $1. The others can be a ripoff and you may do better at a big box store. Around here they tend to spring up in small towns with no competition. I think of them as the Woolworth's of the 21st century. A little bit of everything.

One of them has a couple of "dollar store" aisles where everything is $1. I can never remember if a location is a DG or a FD.
The weird thing is this Dollar General does have some competition. There are several independent grocery stores nearby. I don't shop at them because they are too small, outdated and expensive. But their prices and selection still blow this Dollar General away. There is a Dollar Tree nextdoor to one of the grocery stores too. But it's so small, that I have never bothered to even go into it. I don't think it has a lot of business either.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I live in a town of 50,000 and there are five "Dollar Stores" that I know of, although I can't break it down by Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. They tend to proliferate in areas where the economy is a bit depressed, which is why Cloudy Dayz is seeing more of them in his/her area as other businesses leave. One in my town is in the same shopping plaza as a perfectly decent grocery store, so it's not lack of other choices.

I haven't shopped at any of them. I divide my grocery shopping between Costco, where I trust their meat and produce, and one of the "mainstream" grocery stores, which has a bigger selection than the dollar stores. I pretty much have the same things on my shopping list week in and week out- just depends on what needs replenishing- so I don't like the "random" aspect of Dollar Store selections.

My SIL loves Dollar Stores because she can take her grandkids there and get them a lot of little toys and games for not much money, but I try to avoid Made in China so that's out for me.
Pretty easy - read the store signage.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Dollar General and Family Dollar are NOT $1/item stores. They are more or less "department stores" that specialize in "discounted items", and often, without coupons, they are not bargains.

Dollar TREE, the 99cent store ARE $1 (or .99cents) per item, or less. Dollar Tree has greeting cards 2/$1, for instance. But most items are $1.

Dollar General and Family Dollar are fillung in in depressed or stark areas where stores are few and far between.

It is of note: Walmart, that huge conglomerate, started as stores in small population areas, 5k people abouts ( as i understand it, didnt come here til about 20 years ago), and grew. So dont discount DG or FD so easily. They may grow like Wally world has.

But if you want dollar items, go to Dollar Tree, if you want discounted items try DG or FD.

I didnt find much of any use there at DG or FD, but you can always shop once and if its not your cup o' tea, dont go again.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
What you've described is Dollar General's business model: Build in struggling areas and attempt to become a "corner store." There's one in my city (but in one of the nicest residential areas, so I'm not really sure why they're there) and it seems kind of dingy and shady to me. I have been there a couple of times but I'd rather go to the real grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart or whatever.

I do go to Dollar Tree, though. They have some good deals! I get storage containers, greeting cards, sometimes holiday decorations like wreath forms or artificial flowers, LED candles, things like that. You need to look at how much a similar item would cost at other nearby stores, though; not everything is a good deal.
I've read several articles that Dollar General will come into a small town with low prices and put the local markets out of business. But with the prices this store has, that will never happen here. Unless they lower their prices a lot.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Dollar General and Family Dollar are NOT $1/item stores. They are more or less "department stores" that specialize in "discounted items", and often, without coupons, they are not bargains.

Dollar TREE, the 99cent store ARE $1 (or .99cents) per item, or less. Dollar Tree has greeting cards 2/$1, for instance. But most items are $1.

Dollar General and Family Dollar are fillung in in depressed or stark areas where stores are few and far between.

It is of note: Walmart, that huge conglomerate, started as stores in small population areas, 5k people abouts ( as i understand it, didnt come here til about 20 years ago), and grew. So dont discount DG or FD so easily. They may grow like Wally world has.

But if you want dollar items, go to Dollar Tree, if you want discounted items try DG or FD.

I didnt find much of any use there at DG or FD, but you can always shop once and if its not your cup o' tea, dont go again.

Thanks for the explanation. Even with the $5 coupon I had, DG's prices weren't a bargain.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:39 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I did not like the Dollar General stores in Minnesota but the one close to me here in Arizona I really do like and frequent often. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it is run and they often have prices that are comparative to the Wal-Mart which is a lot further away.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
You know, "back in the day" not everything at a "5 and dime" was 5c or 10c. Maybe in the 30s or 40s? – but I wasn't around then, so I can't say.

I think the usage of "dollar" in Dollar General mainly refers to the fact that their prices are rounded off: $3, $5, $10, etc., instead of $2.99 and so forth.

I concur that Dollar Trees are generally a pleasant experience – products, surroundings, prices – and there are a number of items I do go there for periodically.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 11-07-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I actually really like the true dollar-stores.....the ones where nothing is more than a buck.

I have to believe that Dollar-Tree and similar is taking a ton of business from stores like Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products