Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:39 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times

Advertisements

The best thing about shopping at the Dollar Palace, says Debra Jackson, is that it is convenient and casual:

https://esmemes.com/i/about-the-new-...street-3062028

"I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something," she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,322,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I actually really like the true dollar-stores.....the ones where nothing is more than a buck.

I have to believe that Dollar-Tree and similar is taking a ton of business from stores like Walmart.
Me too!

I will say that I only buy greeting cards (birthday, sympathy/sorrow for your loss, get well, Christmas, etc.) I also but calendars, address books, wrapping paper, gift bags, reading glasses. Things of that nature.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,899 times
Gosh, isn't it great we're not held at gunpoint to shop there – or anywhere in particular, for that matter?

Old 11-13-2018, 02:15 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,082,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That sounds like a scam to get people into the store buying overpriced merchandise while looking for hidden penny items that probably don't even exist.
meh, tell the person I know who does it. She literally will pay a pennies for something. I don't have the time or patience to do it. This was a few years ago, so they might have changed their system by now.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,254,088 times
we have a bunch of them. they try to be local convenience stores and if we need something quick we will go in there and pick something up.

if I want fresh food though I will go to the local super walmart because the produce moves very quickly ensuring that everything is fresh.

I avoid organic eggs no matter where I go though because they are so much more expensive than the cheapo 89cents (or whatever the current sales is) a dozen eggs which sells out in days.

there's a chicken farmer a few houses away that will sell me freshly laid eggs for $3 a dozen.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The best dollar store in my area is the 99centsOnlyStore and it is my first shopping stop. I get all my paper products, house cleaning stuff, and detergents. You can't beat 32 loads of laundry for a buck. Pasta, beans, and rice are all 1 or sometimes 2 lbs for a dollar. Canned stuff is always 1 or 2 for a dollar.

And you never know what will be there. They always have a lot of fresh veggies. Some of them may look a little tired but if you are cooking with them, they work. They always have mushrooms. Not long ago I found pints of Land O'Lakes cream for a dollar and I bought all they had. Found Godiva chocolate. All sorts of things. You have to read labels because they do sell stuff like fake cheese though.

They have a LOT of junk food and if you are going to buy those things, why not pay less for them? They sell a lot of the same products at the regular grocery store for a lot more money.
Yeah, that was one thing I forgot to include in my previous post. I get my laundry detergent at Dollar Tree.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 AM

6,778 posts, read 5,499,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yeah, that was one thing I forgot to include in my previous post. I get my laundry detergent at Dollar Tree.
I DON'T.

I tried it and gave it away. It is scented and dyed.

Its NOT for people with sensitive skin. Both of us have sensitive skin.

I buy the cheapest "free and clear" soap and the great value "free and clear " dryer sheets at Wally world.

Some things just aren't worth the buck...

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The best thing about shopping at the Dollar Palace, says Debra Jackson, is that it is convenient and casual:

https://esmemes.com/i/about-the-new-...street-3062028

"I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something," she said.

In college, I met the mother of one of my fraternity brothers (but she didn't tell me what I'll write below...her son did). She raised him and his brother after the divorce (his dad married the woman he cheated with and had kids with her, but he usually paid his support on time...he was a surgeon...undoubtedly retired now, if still alive).

His mother was dating a guy who tried to calculate his net worth to the penny every night (keeping close track of the balance in his brokerage account (as best he could by phone, newspaper, etc...he didn't own any real estate)).

He told her to get dressed up on blah blah specific night, because he was taking her to a 'really nice place'.

She did, and he did as well.

He took her to Denny's. To him, the 'really nice place' was Denny's.

Last edited by RMESMH; 11-14-2018 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Added 10 words in paragraph 2

Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I DON'T.

I tried it and gave it away. It is scented and dyed.

Its NOT for people with sensitive skin. Both of us have sensitive skin.

I buy the cheapest "free and clear" soap and the great value "free and clear " dryer sheets at Wally world.

Some things just aren't worth the buck...

Sorry that happened to you.

If using that detergent triggered any negative consequence for me, I'd spend more and go the route you do or even above that.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 AM

561 posts, read 325,127 times
Family Dollar and Dollar General are not $1 stores. The names are misleading. Dollar Tree is the one that has everything $1 but to be perfectly honest it's not as great of a deal as they would like you to believe. Almost everything is either cheaply made or smaller sized and many of the same things can be found at WalMart for .88 cents. I do go there for some things like greeting card or wrapping paper or sometimes they have some fun colorful stuff for organizing or parties but I don't do my general shopping there. It is great for serving dishes or bowls to take to potlucks so you don't have to worry about getting them back.

Last edited by jmcahacker; 11-16-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products