Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:07 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

my dad was a great depression child so that effected his spending mentality too . many of that generation were effected . which is why many studies about senior spending are skewed since we had two generations of great depression survivors and many had spending issues that were a function of up bringing and not age .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 03:31 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny to me when people manufacture their own ideal rich person and speak as if they are talking about actual rich people. .............
As funny as the people who make up and express their theory about what and who other people know? People that they don't even know? Inventing stories about them to support their own theories?

Because there are multimillionaires in my own family, both my mother's and my father's side, and multimillionaires in my in -laws, including old money, and I've lived next door to them, my child went to school with their children, and I've been to lunch with them and horseback riding and sailing with them. I've been inside their mansions and manor houses, and I most certainly do know what they drive and what boots they are wearing.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i look at being cheap as when ones own inability to spend intrudes on others and hurts them or makes them uncomfortable living the way they do .

a co-worker subjects his wife to the intense summer heat and never owned an air conditioner just so he does not have to pay to run it ,yet he can well afford to .
Yeah, and no doubt he was also uncomfortable, but somehow put a bizarre premium on money -- a renewable resource -- over his personal comfort over time, which is limited. It doesn't make a whole lot of psychological sense lol. I keep the indoors a perfect temperature at all times of the year, doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is, it'll be the same indoor temperature. The indoors should be the indoors, and the outdoors should be the outdoors, and never the two shall meet :P

Old 11-25-2018, 05:44 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, and no doubt he was also uncomfortable, but somehow put a bizarre premium on money -- a renewable resource -- over his personal comfort over time, which is limited. It doesn't make a whole lot of psychological sense lol. I keep the indoors a perfect temperature at all times of the year, doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is, it'll be the same indoor temperature. The indoors should be the indoors, and the outdoors should be the outdoors, and never the two shall meet :P
Me too. I like to say that it's bad enough that it's too hot or too cold outside, without it being too hot or too cold inside. And going outside when you are already cold or hot is pure torture. Referring to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, how can I ever expect to obtain self-actualization if my physiological needs remain unmet?

I also do not skimp on food quality. I have been eating shrimp about once a week, and tenderloin about once a week. Anything you cook yourself is really not that expensive.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 AM

827 posts, read 864,790 times
I think it's relative. A really rich person, with a 7-figure annual income, could spend only 1/3 of the annual income and that would be frugality, but still would be enough to have a very comfortable and desirable lifestyle.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:23 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
seems frugal to me...

why do poor people think frugal is synonymous with being cheap?

to me, poor people arent frugal, they get the cheapest thing due to no other options... forced cheapness is not being frugal
I don't personally care whether he owns an $11M house in Laguna Beach. It's the fake frugal image promoted by the media I don't like. They like to make it sound like he lives an ordinary middle class lifestyle. He doesn't--and he hasn't for many decades.

And that $31,000 he spend on a house in 1958 sounds so cheap, except it would be about $269,000 in today's dollars. That buys you a pretty nice house in a place like Omaha.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-26-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes and ive seen HE himself say he wasn't as comfortable in it as at home in Omaha.

He also said he could easily afford other houses, but he wouldn't feel at home in them. HE himself, tge words out of HIS mouth.

Try watching interviews of him on YouTube sometime, where HE himself speaks his mind.

I don't doubt it. I just don't like the images of fake frugality promoted by the media. He doesn't live as frugally as the media presents. Maybe he's not pushing that image, but the media does and it's annoying.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so how do we define frugality for a rich person?

warren buffet is a silly example but for me it seems he has a mental disorder, not simply frugality. but i dont for one second think that he is a good example because he is so unique. most rich people are spending more money but the reality is that expenses dont increase as much as their income.

the most expensive property in my town is currently listed for about $7 million. but after that, $2.4 million gets you to the next tier of expensive properties. what that means is that a rich person's house costs substantially less to them as it does to you. you can only be in one place at a time, eat a certain amount and drink a certain amount per day. its pretty easy to accumulate savings when you are earning millions a year.
I hardly think he has a mental disorder. He had a 2nd house in Laguana Beach for many years. He lives in an upper middle class area of Omaha. And another poster said, he flies on private/chartered flights or something like that. He's very frugal for his net worth, but not nearly as much as the media makes him out to be.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
On one hand, it's a bit bizarre. But on another, there's a silver lining. I think there's something to be said for not being completely comfortable at all times. It makes people weak and wimpy. Maybe that wasn't his intention, but that is a positive side effect.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And that $31,000 he spend on a house in 1958 sounds so cheap, except it would be about $269,000 in today's dollars. That buys you a pretty nice house in a place like Omaha.
did you think a house had to be dirt cheap for it to count? that someone has to buy a house that is barebones and rebuild it up from scratch?

he may not have been frugal with his home purchase at the time, but he has also not traded to a more expensive one either. and it becomes frugal over time.

if someone drove a car for 30 years, does it matter if it was a beater car or a new car at the time of purchase to be frugal after 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living