Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Bus and sod at current price are 52$/mo. What does the old beast run you per month? What else do you expect to break 2019?
In 2019, it needs new spark plugs and wires and tune-up, for sure. I really don't want to drive it now because it's obviously missing badly, and it's getting worse. Then, I'd hope that that fixes the way it's behaving. I already replaced the fuel filter. And the transmission was just rebuilt and is under warranty for another 7 months or so.

Brakes are good and just replaced the brake cylinder, so those should be fine.

Shocks are pretty bad.

The big unknown is the way it's missing. If throwing another $400 at it for new spark plugs and wires and a tune-up doesn't fix it, then I would have just lost the $400 I was able to finally save after spending all of my savings on the transmission.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Bus and sod at current price are 52$/mo. What does the old beast run you per month? What else do you expect to break 2019?
I averaged maintenance, and other costs (insurance, AAA, registration) over the 3 years or so I've owned it, including what I regularly spend on gas, and it costs me on average about $220/month.

In 2019, it needs new spark plugs and wires and tune-up, for sure. I really don't want to drive it now because it's obviously missing badly, and it's getting worse. Then, I'd hope that that fixes the way it's behaving. I already replaced the fuel filter. And the transmission was just rebuilt and is under warranty for another 7 months or so.

Brakes are good and just replaced the brake cylinder, so those should be fine.

Shocks are pretty bad.

The big unknown is the way it's missing. If throwing another $400 at it for new spark plugs and wires and a tune-up doesn't fix it, then I would have just lost the $400 I was able to finally save after spending all of my savings on the transmission.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My 2002 Nissan Altima is a good car, but not worth more than $2000 if I sell on craigslist. My car looks almost like new, but has 171,000 miles. Today the "check emissions system" light came on. I checked the fuel filler cap, and installed a new air filter, but the light did not go out. So now, I'll have to get someone to hookup a diagnostic system and see what emissions system part needs replacement. I hope it is not the expensive catalytic converter.

I was in Germany for 3 months over the summer with just my bicycle for transportation, along with some local trains. I could easily live car-free in a medium to large city in Germany. Here in the USA, it would be more of a challenge. I could live car-free here in Tucson most of the year, but the hot weather months are brutal. I can pedal my bicycle to everything I need easily, but would need to do the errand trips in the very early morning hours.

I lived in the Jersey suburbs outside of NYC in the early 1990s. Car free there would also work, especially if I was in Hoboken, Union City or Jersey City.

In any place that I would consider living car-free, I would find a nearby place (not at an airport) where I could rent a car for weekend trips outside the metropolis. Many metro area car rental places have really good weekend rental rates, especially outside of peak tourist season or holidays.
Why do you say not to rent a car at an airport? Cost? It's funny you mentioned this, because getting to the airport via public transportation is really easy, and I had been thinking that it would be easy to get to the car rental places at the airport, if I wanted to rent a car. So, I'm curious as to why you suggest not to rent at the airport?

Old 12-25-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I reduced my driving, I used my car only when necessary -- the insurance was costing $20 per mile, so letting it go was easy. I lived in a city of 60k, and in a 20 minute walk on quiet residential streets I could be at supermarket, drug store, doctor, hospital,bank. There were 5 bus routes, daytime weekdays, which went every where else every half hour. Like mall and walmart. For anything special or urgent, I could bum a ride. I chose my apartment location with that in mid, and it worked perfectly for ten years.
I thought about just parking it and using it only occasionally. I have an assigned underground parking space, so it would be out of the weather and wouldn't cost me anything for parking.

But, that would still cost me $63/month just to keep it parked. That's insurance of about $40 plus $23 for registration and AAA, averaged per month.

And that doesn't include the maintenance that would still need to be done, and the cost of gas for when I'd use it.

So, let's say that I would have to spend at least $400/year on maintenance, tires, etc. That's another $33/month. So, $63 + $33 = $96. Plus gas.

And I just really rarely ever use it to drive outside of the San Jose/Santa Clara area of the South Bay Area. I haven't even driven to the beach in almost 2 years. I'm really just not much of a traveler anymore.

So, I'm really thinking, like someone else said, I could just walk or take the bus shopping and then if I don't want to haul my stuff onto the bus, that's when I could just call a cab or an Uber.

I am also a person who doesn't like this whole ride sharing business. I've never used one. And they're really not cheap in this area - I did look into them. Thanks Mathjak for the info on the passenger not being covered by insurance. I'll probably stick to actual taxis. I've heard some insane Uber stories by my immigrant friends who use them.

And, I could just rent a car if I ever wanted to go on a long road trip. I really wouldn't have wanted to take my truck on one, anyway - if only because of the bad gas mileage.

So, really, if I save at minimum $100/month by not even keeping it parked in the garage for times when I'd like to have it, that is a lot of money I could spend on a cab or a rental car once or twice a year - and probably still put some of it into savings.

Obviously, I seem to be talking myself into getting rid of the truck. It's been really helpful to hear from everyone. So far, it seems to be a consensus that the idea isn't insane, so I'm feeling more confident.

I went ahead and filled out the application online to "retire" my truck with the state, where they would buy it for $1500. That process will probably take about a month. So, I'm going to leave it parked and just use public transportation until then, and see if I change my mind. But, I'm pretty sure now that I'll get rid of it.

And, as someone else said, I can always get rid of it, then save up and buy a better vehicle in a few years, if I change my mind about living without a vehicle. Something more fuel-efficient. I wish I had somewhere to plug in an electric vehicle, but that's not an option where I live. I also really don't need a truck anymore. I did need one when I bought it, and was happy I had it when I used it to move with. But, I really don't need one anymore. I don't plan on ever moving again, until they haul me away to assisted living.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 12-25-2018 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 01:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why do you say not to rent a car at an airport? Cost? It's funny you mentioned this, because getting to the airport via public transportation is really easy, and I had been thinking that it would be easy to get to the car rental places at the airport, if I wanted to rent a car. So, I'm curious as to why you suggest not to rent at the airport?

Pretty much every aspect of an airport location is more expensive for the rental companies. Also, rental companies have a captive market, as most arrivals will rent there simply for the convenience, albeit at a higher rate. And then there are the airport surcharges. It's almost always cheaper to rent off airport.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Never done it, never want to do it. We have four vehicles. Two at our main residence and two at our Arizona winter home. That's the minimum number of vehicles we will maintain for now. This allows each of us to have our own vehicles at each location.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:37 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
I was car-free for over 7 years during grad school due to having a low income. It can be done, if you plan your lifestyle accordingly. But it's not necessarily a good idea long-term since it could limit your job options. Is there a reason you can't try to earn more money? If you have a low-income but very stable long-term job, and no meaningful ways of earning more, then it can make sense to just live super-close to work and go car-less.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:20 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
When I was 'carless ', after the car accident, it was difficult at first but that gave me the incentive to save for a good car. I was fortunate that I lived with family during that time and could borrow a car when I needed one.

When I was finally able to buy one, I chose a Nissan Cube which gets 30 mpg. If I had to do it over I'd probably buy a Prious. It looks like they get 43-50 mpg. But I love my car and don't drive a lot so it works for me.

You're lucky you live in an area where transportation is available. You may find you don't miss it that much it may give you the incentive to save for a better one. You're wise to give yourself time and see if you can deal with just using transportation.

Even when I lived in Minnesota, during the winter I often ordered from Amazon rather than drive in the snow. Prime has a grocery store I used during the winter months. At that time it was worth it to me to pay for the membership to have the convenience.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:22 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I was car-free for over 7 years during grad school due to having a low income. It can be done, if you plan your lifestyle accordingly. But it's not necessarily a good idea long-term since it could limit your job options. Is there a reason you can't try to earn more money? If you have a low-income but very stable long-term job, and no meaningful ways of earning more, then it can make sense to just live super-close to work and go car-less.
She's retired and living on a fixed income. It is sometimes (often) difficult for an older person to find a job.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
You're putting a LOT of money into a car that is too old. I wouldn't put a new transmission into a truck that probably, after the new transmission was installed, wasn't worth the price of the transmission.

Can you get a 10 year old civic instead of this truck?

I don't know about your lifestyle, but I transport stuff ALL THE TIME. Public transportation would be a major headache for me several times a week, as I have stuff with me. Like, enough stuff that I keep a collapsable wheeled hand cart permanently in my car.

How do people who only use public transportation even go to the grocery store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living