Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 10:02 PM

78 posts, read 61,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Have you considered slapping your dad upside the head and explain he's poor and just can't have what he wants? If he's insistent on having stuff he can't afford, let he be his own man and walk away. You did you part, let him grow up and do his!

It's hard. He's a good man, but he has always been terrible with money. He used to blame all of our financial troubles when I was young on my mother, but in hindsight I realize they were BOTH a disaster. i think he's starting to finally realize that he's in real trouble and MUST make changes. I was at least able to lead him through the bankruptcy process, which he probably would have lost the home without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
My dad had to file for bankruptcy earlier this year. He's also had to cut back his hours at his job for health reasons. I'm trying to help him cut down and make adjustments. I'm aware that there are many options these days for different ways to access entertainment, but I'm not really up-to-date on all of them or the best options while maintaining what is important to him.

Right now he has DirectTV, which he pays 80 dollars a month for. However, he really only watches a few channels (Hallmark, Hallmark Mystery, Lifetime, SYFY, AMC, and the basic channels 3,6,10) Is there a better way to get those channels?

He's paying 220 a month for phone service through AT&T. I already plan to have him drop his landline. There is a tablet on that plan that he doesn't use that can be dropped if it isn't under contract. His own phone he uses very frequently, so I can't really make changes there. I have to find out what the contract is on his phone. Is there anything else I can do to drop costs there?

I've had him drop Netflix and some other subscriptions that he wasn't really utilizing. We've also talked about shopping at Aldi's for groceries, buying store brands, using coupons, etc.

He's paying 96 a month for wifi through Comcast- is there a better way?

He's paying 20 a month for Planet Fitness membership that he NEVER uses but also doesn't want to give up because he is absolutely going to start using it soon (/s) Suggestions for a lower cost option if I can't get him to drop it entirely?

I know that ideally he would drop tv entirely and drop his phone for a very basic one with a basic plan, but I can only work in the ways he'll allow. However, I believe his actual uses of such services are basic enough that there are probably cheaper ways to get the same thing or close to it. He might stream the occasional movie, but mostly he plays Crimecity on his phone and mainlines Hallmark movies.
Hi JJ Galaxy, from Galaxhi.

We made many moved last summer when my OH ( other half)'s got got drastically cut.

Cell phone: we went to TMobile for their 55+ magenta plan: unlimited talk text and data fir$35/m limit 2 phone s. We paid $125 down, walked out with two new "free cell phone s" ( via a credit on the bill to negate the equipment charge). My OH lost a phone in the house, so we had to go buy another ( grumble), so now our bill is$89 for the two $35 charges, OH s new phone ($16/m not credit in it), and taxes fees.

Cable Spectrum ( a Comcast company) WAS $250/m for net, landline phone and cable ( 250 channels, 1/3 of which were duplicates ( one regular and one HD), and except for maybe 6 weeks in fall and 6 weeks spring of NEW program s, there was often literally NOTHING ON that wasn't: a) a repeat ad nauseum,or b) just not something worth watching to us.

We cut the cord. Years ago I had a Roku and Netflix. So, we cut the cable out completely, and the landline and the net.

We now have net ONLY 100 mbs for $49/m for streaming and wifi. I bought a smart TV, 32" at Walmart for a whole $118, and bought a $60 HD antenna, and a signal booster ( because we are surrounded by hills and mountains) for I think$30 on eBay. We get 15 local channels on antenna and Netflix for $10/m.
Your area may be more expensive, we have the basic spectrum offers.

Like having to go through bankruptcy, he WILL have to learn HOW to use Netflix and DEAL without his treasure channels and LEARN to adapt.

It now costs us $60/m for TV, and WE MUSS done channels, but as I said they had repeats ad nauseum, so no big deal we adapted.

We no longer have the VoIP landline, and we adapted to just having our cell phones.

He WILL have to LEARN to adapt.

( Btw if he does qualify, he can get cheap landline from any carrier through the govt program, and just pay for cell phone outright.)

He has to have Medicare part C, advantage plans, which can cost more totally than Medicare and supplemental insurance. Check carefully before you change to part C advantage plans just to save $20 at planet fitness by getting silver sneakers. If he has a LOT of medical issue s and has a good supplemental, KEEP THAT. advantage plans work well for healthy seniors..
In our area planet fitness offers $10/m plans for the year, but only if you sign up the first 2 weeks in January. Che k that out.

Ultimately you're going to have to convince him his income has dropped, and HE WILL have to adapt.

Good luck doing that I'd he's really stubborn!

WE adapted,cso can he!

Get him on antenna with booster and see what he gets for free. Then see what he can get with just ONE supplemental program option ( like Netflix). THEN figure out whathe will change to watch ing. Smart TVs have come down a lot as long as you aren't going for gigantic ones.

Again, good luck!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Another thing if you get cable internet only is to buy your own modem. They will lease you one for $10/month and many do that because it's convenient. But you can get a good modem that is just like the ones they use (or better) for under $100 so after ten months you're saving another $10/month. I know Comcast has a detailed list of compatible modems. Pick a cheap one on the list and don't get caught up in having the latest and greatest that is overkill for your use. It's easy to fall into the same trap when buying consumer electronics where "for $10-20 more on the next model I can get these added features" until you're at an expensive top line model.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:33 AM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
Dump the cell phone, keep the land line, it is cheaper.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:07 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Dump the cell phone, keep the land line, it is cheaper.
Not necessarily, but probably influenced by local provider options. Recently I've been in penny pinch mode during house renovation prior to going on the market. It ended up costing less to use a basic pre-paid cell as primary phone instead of maintaining and making calls via land line.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
My dad had to file for bankruptcy earlier this year. He's also had to cut back his hours at his job for health reasons. I'm trying to help him cut down and make adjustments. I'm aware that there are many options these days for different ways to access entertainment, but I'm not really up-to-date on all of them or the best options while maintaining what is important to him.

Right now he has DirectTV, which he pays 80 dollars a month for. However, he really only watches a few channels (Hallmark, Hallmark Mystery, Lifetime, SYFY, AMC, and the basic channels 3,6,10) Is there a better way to get those channels?

He's paying 220 a month for phone service through AT&T. I already plan to have him drop his landline. There is a tablet on that plan that he doesn't use that can be dropped if it isn't under contract. His own phone he uses very frequently, so I can't really make changes there. I have to find out what the contract is on his phone. Is there anything else I can do to drop costs there?

I've had him drop Netflix and some other subscriptions that he wasn't really utilizing. We've also talked about shopping at Aldi's for groceries, buying store brands, using coupons, etc.

He's paying 96 a month for wifi through Comcast- is there a better way?

He's paying 20 a month for Planet Fitness membership that he NEVER uses but also doesn't want to give up because he is absolutely going to start using it soon (/s) Suggestions for a lower cost option if I can't get him to drop it entirely?

I know that ideally he would drop tv entirely and drop his phone for a very basic one with a basic plan, but I can only work in the ways he'll allow. However, I believe his actual uses of such services are basic enough that there are probably cheaper ways to get the same thing or close to it. He might stream the occasional movie, but mostly he plays Crimecity on his phone and mainlines Hallmark movies.

Don't freak out on the $80 for TV, that's $2.66 a day and if he watches 3 hours a day it is $1 an hour for entertainment. I suspect you can call and get a break on the rate, tell them he is broke and elderly

Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not necessarily, but probably influenced by local provider options. Recently I've been in penny pinch mode during house renovation prior to going on the market. It ended up costing less to use a basic pre-paid cell as primary phone instead of maintaining and making calls via land line.
I pay about $22 a month for a full service internet landline - with voice mail, a cell phone app / extension, and just about every feature ever imagined for phone service. And US / Canada coverage.

It's primarily to give me a business anchor that isn't subject to all of the whims of cell provider service, but it does double duty as both a landline and mobile number so that I don't have to give every single person in the world my cell number.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I pay about $22 a month for a full service internet landline - with voice mail, a cell phone app / extension, and just about every feature ever imagined for phone service. And US / Canada coverage.

It's primarily to give me a business anchor that isn't subject to all of the whims of cell provider service, but it does double duty as both a landline and mobile number so that I don't have to give every single person in the world my cell number.

Can you fill out an application online and upload a resume with it, as many employers require? Can you receive email updates from employers?

Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Can you fill out an application online and upload a resume with it, as many employers require? Can you receive email updates from employers?
Nooo... Which is why it's a good thing it works on an internet connection, and has a mobile app.

I'm not sure how you're reading me as saying this is a replacement for either. It's a very cost-effective way to have an anchor phone line that is not subject to all the limitations of cell service. And the technology is such that it blends very well with things like mobile access, and has a massive and intuitive web-portal for configuration and control as well.

Not all of us can cram our lives into a 4.6 inch glass screen.

And I'm pretty sure the most retired folks neither need to fill out applications online nor email resumes from their phone. Just sayin'.

And you're probably unaware of the reasons employment systems now demand a mobile contact/text number. Hint: it's not for the applicant benefit.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Nooo... Which is why it's a good thing it works on an internet connection, and has a mobile app.

I'm not sure how you're reading me as saying this is a replacement for either. It's a very cost-effective way to have an anchor phone line that is not subject to all the limitations of cell service. And the technology is such that it blends very well with things like mobile access, and has a massive and intuitive web-portal for configuration and control as well.

Because I read it as a turn-key solution that had a single-purpose data connection built in. Sorry, I had just posted minutes earlier in another thread (didn't realize your reply was another thread) that a cell and internet connection were almost necessary to find a job, in response to someone saying if one loses their job now to cut unnecessary things like cell and internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living