Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 01:34 PM

334 posts, read 537,398 times

Advertisements

We recycle Christmas decorations from year to year. Our recycled, lit tree goes in front of the living room window. We do this in lieu of hanging outside lights. I wrap empty boxes to put around the tree. I also wrap the pictures hanging on my walls as packages. I make potpourri in the crockpot from oranges, apples, rosemary, cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cranberries, vanilla.

The television is tuned mostly to the Christmas music channel, or Christmas movies. I'm a pastry chef, so I bake a lot of Christmas treats. I also like to make handmade cards. My gifts are mainly baked goods with my handmade cards. I make a special breakfast and holiday meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 07:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Last summer I made a 6' wood "tree" from 1x2 wood, used it to support runner beans but for Christmas we wrap it in colored lights and it's in front of the house. This year added a large star at the top from scrap wood, painted it gold, makes me smile to see it daytime or night.

Indoors we decorate the china cabinet with a string of lights, that's where cards and stockings go. Greens cut from fir tree go on a mantel with lights and some tinsel. No indoor tree, 45 years never had one.

Learning to make tarts, chocolate caramel individual tarts tonight, only needed 2 oz of chocolate. Savory tarts make a great dinner, swiss cheese and kale tart was yummy. But it takes time to make tart crust (needs to "rest" for 1-2 hrs in fridge before baking), better for retired people without time crunch (I'm retired).

Old 12-26-2021, 10:36 AM

334 posts, read 537,398 times
I forgot to add that gifts are generally wrapped in recycled gift bags, newspapers, or comics. I used to send for Internet freebies all year and use them for stocking stuffers. We also hosted a Christmas Eve party where everyone would bring a dish and inexpensive gift. There are two chefs in the house, so we would provide the main meat and the Christmas cookies and desserts. Saved restaurant takeout containers during the year, so guests could take home leftovers.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:08 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
No decorations or gifts, lol. I'm really not a scrooge, but this holiday was on the crazy side. Hopefully next year I'll at least get a few decorations up.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:49 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
My wife has put $100/month into a Christmas club for long before we married 20 years ago. Between the two of us we have 5 adult kids, 12 grands (4 under 16 yrs old) and 9 great grand youngsters. For the adults, we make goodies. I have a 2 ingredient peanut butter fudge, a 2 ingredient chocolate fudge recipe and my wife found a recipe for crock pot candy. The grands over 18 also get a box of goodies plus a $25 gift card. The younger grands and greats get a toy and an outfit. My wife spends as close to the same amount on each one.
We got a late start on all that this year. We live in Mayfield, Ky., where the tornado hit Dec. 10. Took a little while to get settled down again (no structural damage to our house, thankfully) and get my wife's nerves settled so the candy didn't get delivered until the week after Christmas. Everybody understood.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:55 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
We put up our thrift store tree for the third year, and decorated it with handmade ornaments and mementos.

We actually never took down the colored lights, so just plugged them back in.

Gifts for friends and relatives were home made cookies and candies.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:18 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Small dinner put on by the resident retired fireman for 5 of us.

I made cardamom bread. No gifts, no tree, nothing else.

We just don't get into it. Too much consumerism and family too far to visit.

No cost, so pretty frugal, lol.

I did listen to Handel's "Messiah" several times....

Old 01-14-2022, 09:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Most frugal. My decorations and wrappings are bought the morning after Xmas when everything left over at Walmart is 75% off.

I have some LED exterior lights on the porch and a lighted wreath inside and don't do much decorating beyond that. That's enough holiday cheer.

I like to see the crazy decorated places, but I can enjoy them on their electric bill and not on mine.

We don't do present exchange, except for my son and I. No one else gets presents. Adults really don't need gifts of stuff that they don't really want and don't need. All of my friends and relatives are capable of buying anything they want for themselves which makes it difficult to buy them anything they want or need; they already have it.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Bought nothing, got nothing.

It was perfect.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:09 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Bought nothing, got nothing.

It was perfect.
Same here. I just don't get pumped about Christmas anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living