Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 10:44 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I always answer the same way, "If you are truly customer oriented then you should round down, otherwise no." I never say "no Thanks" because I'm not thankful they asked anyway and it certainly wasn't a courtesy.
Chipotle used to round to the nearest .... nickel? That was for efficiency purposes (theirs, not yours). And depending on your total price, you may benefit or lose from it. Of course, go there enough, it'll likely even out.

But this isn't about being "customer oriented" - it's more about charity. Albeit I'm wondering how much credit one deserves from just facilitating it vs. actually giving. e.g. are they matching what you give?

Regardless, I usually decline as I like to manage my own contributions. But in this day and age, for me, it's more often a pop-up on the self-checkout screen or credit card terminal. So no actual response to the cashier is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 11:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Regardless, I usually decline as I like to manage my own contributions. But in this day and age, for me, it's more often a pop-up on the self-checkout screen or credit card terminal. So no actual response to the cashier is necessary.
Exactly, and yet they ask anyway, theoretically embarrassing you or calling you out on it.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:55 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Always "no thanks". Enough of the Beggers. The only rounding up I'll do is put a bit of change in the give/take cup.

All the scammers have destroyed any generosity and that is from the "sad" looking "homeless" guy in any city's street corner to the older people with young, frowning kids in any Latin American country's holding their hand out whenever a Gringo passes by.

Yep, thanks to the "window washers" who automatically go to cleaning windows. Nope, I don't want them to touch my truck as I didn't ask them to do it.

The "sad eyed" looking people who get into their nice cars when their corner "shift" is done.

The "poor" in Panama. Costa Rica, Colombia, etc... who take a taxi to the nicer districts to beg.

Sorry but if you can drive or take a cab to your begging corner you don't need to beg.

And if you want "donations" put up a container with sign in the store. Personally, I don't feel guilty saying no and couldn't care less as the employee asking probably couldn't care less either but I'm sure some feel too embarrassed to say no when asked so they may say "sure, why not" every time.

Nope! Nope! and Nope! Not from me. I have enough grubby hands reaching in to my nearly empty pockets!

Old 05-11-2022, 11:59 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

As a consumer, if I’m paying cash, rounding up to the next dollar means no digging for change, no fistfull of change being given back to me.

Not a problem for me, either way.
I like that change as every year I go cash it and have an extra 500 bucks or so as bonus money to use toward wherever I plan to go that winter. That money was never factored in so it adds to my enjoyment.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:25 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattycathy9 View Post
Not quite as offensive as the ever-present tip jar.
More so. You can easily ignore the tip jar no pressure or shaming.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:44 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I always answer the same way, "If you are truly customer oriented then you should round down, otherwise no." I never say "no Thanks" because I'm not thankful they asked anyway and it certainly wasn't a courtesy.
Well that's an excise in pointlessness. What exactly do you think you'll accomplish with that response to a cashier who has no control over policies?
Quit berating the cashier and put your compliant where it might actually do some good, send an email stating what you don't like about the policy to their regional or corporate offices.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
We've had that around here for quite a while and now I'm getting it in CVS. One time the woman in front of me answered, "Not this time." That sounded pleasant enough plus it makes it sound like she's given at other times. So that's what I say. "Not this time."

Old 05-13-2022, 02:15 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think I'll switch from "no thanks" (true; what are we thanking them for?) to "not today" (or any day).
Absolutely! There are plenty of options without thanking.
  • Not today.
  • Not right now.
  • Not now.
  • Not at this time.
  • I don't think so.
  • or even just the old, "Nah" if a bit curmudgeonly.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:22 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well that's an excise in pointlessness. What exactly do you think you'll accomplish with that response to a cashier who has no control over policies?
Quit berating the cashier and put your compliant where it might actually do some good, send an email stating what you don't like about the policy to their regional or corporate offices.
Thanks for your opinion, and it certainly makes sense. Although, I've found when working as the companies' "face", you are first in line for all complaints, suggestions, and remarks. You are in a unique position to receive more of them than the regional or corporate office.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:19 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,236,287 times
i'm beyond sick of this nonsense.

i don't need some company worth piles of money bothering me for some scam charity which they'll take the write off for when making a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living