Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 10:20 AM

290 posts, read 249,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I've always had this fantasy:

Show up at a busy airport and book a flight to anywhere you can get to. After a few days, do it again!
I used to deliver airplanes* as a "side-hustle". One time I just wandered across the US for 5 days with no itinerary and no reservations anywhere. The customer was in no hurry to get their plane and didn't mind, so I chose a destination each morning and headed for it. If something looked interesting on the way I'd land and play tourist. I always found a ride at the airport, and could find a hotel somewhere with a vacancy. It was fun not having detailed plans, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it again (I'm a lot older).

*Small planes (Cessna, Beech, etc.), more paid vacation than profit. Also, I did my due diligence on fuel and weather briefings, and filed flight plans for the furthest destination. Just canceled partway through and landed to sightsee somewhere interesting. Always at small airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 08:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
You don't miss what you don't have. That said this is the first time in the million year history of our species that we can travel to 40 countries in a short time period so human beings incarnating on this planet at this time are enjoying their new-found social freedoms and technology.

There's nothing wrong with travel. You don't want to be one of those people who are jealous as other people's life choices, and those people tend to be rather obvious, on the other hand, I'm not a huge people person, and my father was never really a big traveler, so I'm not a big traveler. I get as much enjoyment with a Geforce 4090 exploring simulated open world environments without having to leave my home.

Because I never travelled extensively as a kid I don't crave it the way someone raised to travel might. Quite frankly I like to find a quiet park somewhere and sit and practice open focus meditation. I do like to geocache, but when I travel I mostly do it for the scenery, hiking, biking, and not for the people. Maybe I should get out more... but I won't. I'm a naturally passive person.

All the natural beauty I really need is within an 8 hour drive, and I grew up along a large body of water in a scenic area. I absolutely love riding the local bike trail around here. Never get tired of it. I could travel around the country and ride different bike trails, but meh... like I said my brain is not wired to need travel as a sort of craving or addiction... it does crave large open world video games though, like the next zelda game launching in a month. LOL

If we actually got reasonable amounts of time off in America to travel, I might do it more... but even 4 weeks of vacation isn't enough to really plan something big for me, considering at least half that time I like to spend simply relaxing when I have off. Combined with forced overtime and the "live to work" culture, it's the lack of time that is the real problem. I'm not the type of person that wants to be busy around the clock, live to work, participate in the hamster wheel rat race. I'd rather work less, live minimalist, and if I travel, do it as cheaply as possible with the least amount of time wasted in cars, at airports, getting from point A to point B, given how a week off isn't enough time to do much of anything.

If I travelled overseas I'd want to spend weeks there, not days.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-11-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2023, 08:50 AM

464 posts, read 313,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
You don't miss what you don't have. That said this is the first time in the million year history of our species that we can travel to 40 countries in a short time period so human beings incarnating on this planet at this time are enjoying their new-found social freedoms and technology.

There's nothing wrong with travel. You don't want to be one of those people who are jealous as other people's life choices, and those people tend to be rather obvious, on the other hand, I'm not a huge people person, and my father was never really a big traveler, so I'm not a big traveler. I get as much enjoyment with a Geforce 4090 exploring simulated open world environments without having to leave my home.

Because I never travelled extensively as a kid I don't crave it the way someone raised to travel might. Quite frankly I like to find a quiet park somewhere and sit and practice open focus meditation. I do like to geocache, but when I travel I mostly do it for the scenery, hiking, biking, and not for the people. Maybe I should get out more... but I won't. I'm a naturally passive person.

All the natural beauty I really need is within an 8 hour drive, and I grew up along a large body of water in a scenic area. I absolutely love riding the local bike trail around here. Never get tired of it. I could travel around the country and ride different bike trails, but meh... like I said my brain is not wired to need travel as a sort of craving or addiction... it does crave large open world video games though, like the next zelda game launching in a month. LOL

If we actually got reasonable amounts of time off in America to travel, I might do it more... but even 4 weeks of vacation isn't enough to really plan something big for me, considering at least half that time I like to spend simply relaxing when I have off. Combined with forced overtime and the "live to work" culture, it's the lack of time that is the real problem. I'm not the type of person that wants to be busy around the clock, live to work, participate in the hamster wheel rat race. I'd rather work less, live minimalist, and if I travel, do it as cheaply as possible with the least amount of time wasted in cars, at airports, getting from point A to point B, given how a week off isn't enough time to do much of anything.

If I travelled overseas I'd want to spend weeks there, not days.
Darn it! I have a 3090 and it was the BADEST around until you came along.

That being said, no GPU in the world can replace travelling the world. I like going to the less developed countries because it grounds me and puts everything in perspective.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:11 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
Do not get stuck somewhere and have a covid start up and shut everything down. I got stuck in Utah when covid started and everything shut down and my id expired and everybody said "Not without a valid id."

Old 04-19-2023, 09:18 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
In South Florida the server will come to you with the restaurant handheld POS systems apparatus where you sign with your finger. You don't see a paper copy. They ask how much you want to tip. You calculate it and give 20%. Then sign with your finger. Thanks have a nice day. But the restaurant added 18% already with no mention.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:56 PM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
This is one of the biggest reasons why my wife and I aren't broke. We both don't enjoy vacations. We just rather stay home and watch a movie.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:19 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Well it does mean using common sense on spending for vacations. My gf will spend every last penny to travel leaving little cash reserves. I’m the opposite. I’ll spend only when I feel I’m comfortable. Right now I’m broke because I’m building an additional apartment. When th events comes in things will stabilize and I’ll travel more.

Old 06-25-2023, 03:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
It can be an exhausting hassle but a change of scenery is always nice.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:20 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
It really depends on the vacation, if you had a good time, if the travel itself went fine, if you enjoyed what you did, what you saw and experienced, and enjoyed the people you were with, then that makes for a vacation that's worth the cost.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:26 PM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
Personally, I have to leave my house a couple times a year and go somewhere else. Once I'm staying somewhere in a hotel I truly relax because there's no job or the feeling that there is something I should be doing around the house.

I do think some people put too much into planning elaborate "once in a lifetime" vacations. I'm perfectly happy to make a basic plan and then take off in my car with the Mrs. Someday I'd like to just take off and see where the road goes, but I'm too much of a planner for that to have happened yet, and I ain't getting any younger. I also sometimes feel like I should see Europe once, never having been out of the US, but then I remember there's all sorts of places here I haven't explored yet. Fortunate to live in a big country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living