Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 10:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times

Advertisements

You can save a lot of paper if you brown it on both sides !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 11:29 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Lol... everybody is a comedian.

Personally I don't know of anyone who has a bidet... well maybe they have it in their ensuite?

A bidet does make sense, but I still don't know how to use it.

Is it true that you poop in the toilet, then move over to the bidet to have it wash you up?

Just get one of those fancy talking automatic Japanese toilets that clean you up and blow dry you afterwards
The basics: Most these days are just a toilet seat that has the sprayer at the back. You don't move to a separate appliance. Some have an air dry feature, which might be useful if you are still on the phone and don't need to move for three or four minutes. Otherwise a blotting with a minimal amount of TP or a family cloth is used. The TP will be clean, but just wet, so using a cloth is possible with it not stinking things up after use. I'll put it this way, the used cloth is going to be cleaner than underpants in many households. Just have a diaper pail for the used ones and toss 'em in the wash.

If you have ever had a colonoscopy and since purchased a bidet, you will immediately recognize the benefits of not having to wipe all the time. The great TP shortage, where everyone got the bum's rush. was a non-event for me.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:40 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The basics: Most these days are just a toilet seat that has the sprayer at the back. You don't move to a separate appliance. Some have an air dry feature, which might be useful if you are still on the phone and don't need to move for three or four minutes. Otherwise a blotting with a minimal amount of TP or a family cloth is used. The TP will be clean, but just wet, so using a cloth is possible with it not stinking things up after use. I'll put it this way, the used cloth is going to be cleaner than underpants in many households. Just have a diaper pail for the used ones and toss 'em in the wash.

If you have ever had a colonoscopy and since purchased a bidet, you will immediately recognize the benefits of not having to wipe all the time. The great TP shortage, where everyone got the bum's rush. was a non-event for me.
"family cloth" LOL. I'll use my own cloth.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:18 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,300 times
I use a towel and then hang them out to dry on the front porch. Then I shake off the dry **** and after I get 4-5 towels I put them in the wash.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:55 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Bidets are very European and for some reason Americans never consider them.
Never say never. Considering all the US-based bidet converts who leap into the fray to defend their choice every time the topic pops up, this is false. I also suspect frugality wasn't the primary driver for their conversion.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:25 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
but how do you dry yourself after using the bidet?
"Sliced bread works too".

Never tried that after feeling wet on the bidet. Maybe that's what I was missing. Not a bidet fan.

We used to use Wonder bread to test our plumbing pipes when building houses. Has its uses!

Old 07-10-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I use a towel and then hang them out to dry on the front porch. Then I shake off the dry **** and after I get 4-5 towels I put them in the wash.
Just ewwww! Kinda defeats the supposed point of the bidet....

Old 07-10-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Bidets are very European and for some reason Americans never consider them. You just stay seated and push a button and it works its magic.
I read up on the anti-American sentiment (till recently) towards bidets. It began because they were associated with brothels during the wars. They were actually forcibly removed from a few hotels due to public outcry back in the day.

Yet another legacy of our Puritanical history.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:42 PM

1,120 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I read up on the anti-American sentiment (till recently) towards bidets. It began because they were associated with brothels during the wars. They were actually forcibly removed from a few hotels due to public outcry back in the day.

Yet another legacy of our Puritanical history.
Interesting.

Wasn't bidets more aimed toward women originally?

I know that whenever bidets were mentioned in any group get togethers, it seems that the women were more gun ho about the idea (for renovations etc).

Maybe we should have a bidet revolution. It would save a lot of trees.

But I suspect the all powerful TP conglomerate would intervene... sigh.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:16 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
I just installed a bidet and its so much better and saves on toilet paper.
Toilet paper doesn't cost much. But I buy large packs, an off brand but still good quality. I don't use big wads at a time...I'm careful how much I use.

I'm single so savings amount to just a little bit. Certainly not worth a bidet or any other equipment or fixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living