Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM

242 posts, read 1,187,202 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, the Joys of DUMPSTER DIVING, Every week, people THROW OUT items that are broken or they do NOT like it anymore. I have found many good items this way here and there. Years ago, I went behind the CARPET STORE, and in the DUMPSTER was this good CARPET, with permission, the owner told me if you can Retrieve it, it is yours. I got it for my neighbor. There is PLENTY of FREEBIES in your area, just got to look for it. Once I went to the dump on MAUI, with a friend, and I found the case to a watch, it was gold and I made $30! My friend was gettin metals and selling it to this place. DUMPSTER DIVING< THE JOYS of DUMPSTER DIVING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Yeah, it's also a way to get diseases and be wallowing around in the filth from the truck that runs from the dump.

Trash divers should be shot. Talk about a great way to spread disease. Once it's in the trash can, it's done. For that matter the whole process needs to be tightened up. Waste handling methods and dump locations are absolute crap.

Can't tell you how many airports are right next to dumps. Probably a great method for spreading diseases. That is in addition to air travel itself, LOL!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
I think the key here is getting permission...in many places it is illegal.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Default Dumpster diving

Oh that way way back in 1983. And we were NOT IN THE TRASH GUNKY AREA, we were by the OLD CARS at the dump. No one was allowed to go into the PITS of the DUMPING AREA, We were FAR AWAY from the GARBAGE DUMPS. Like reread what I wrote. DUMPSTER DIVING is a name for PICKING up people's treasures that they throw out, when they CAN NOT sell at the MOVING SALES, GARAGE SALES, LOL! And naturally when one buys from someone else, we all IMMEDIATELY wash the items off, Just like going to a THRIFT STORE or the SALVATION ARMY...... DO YOU LIVE IN AMER RE CA?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Yeah, it's also a way to get diseases and be wallowing around in the filth from the truck that runs from the dump.

Trash divers should be shot. Talk about a great way to spread disease. Once it's in the trash can, it's done. For that matter the whole process needs to be tightened up. Waste handling methods and dump locations are absolute crap.

Can't tell you how many airports are right next to dumps. Probably a great method for spreading diseases. That is in addition to air travel itself, LOL!
I have dumpster dived for a long time. I never get INTO the dumpster. I tried that ONCE and then discovered I could not get out. Thank goodness someone was walking by that helped me.

Anyway. You wear old clothes and rubber boots (if you go into them, that is). You don't touch things higgly-piggly. Most people bag their yucky garbage so you are careful not to rupture any garbage bags. Most stuff worth taking is usually large and not bagged. If something is a bag with stinky garbage it is probably ruined anyway (CDs, books, etc.,) You keep your diving clothes/shoes OUTSIDE and you wash your hands A LOT.

I've never caught anything from a dumpster. I have, on the other hand, caught a LOT of colds, flu, and chicken pox from hanging around small children. I'd take a dumpster over one of them any day.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Default DUMPSTER DIVING a name, term for getting

CURB SIDE items for free. People have moving and garage sales, they put it OUT TO THE CURB. Or they got some new furniture and put their old furniture to the CURB. People throw out lots of good stuff. My friend's sister seen this beautiful green velvet sofa, checked it out, in PERFECT CONDITION. She got her friend that has a TRUCK and he hauled it over. That was absolutely beautiful! and Comfortable, Didn't smell ! So DUMPSTER DIVING does not LITERALLY MEAN going into a DUMPSTER. I have never been is a DUMPSTER. and LIKE I SAID, No one could go into the PITS of the DUMP on MAUI. Just they put OLD CARS up there and you could find things that could be salvaged. YOU EVER NOTICE, people don't READ what you type out here. they assume they uhderstand but they are MENTALLY DAYDREAMING because their brains are in the DUMPSTER..... LOL...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
CURB SIDE items for free. People have moving and garage sales, they put it OUT TO THE CURB. Or they got some new furniture and put their old furniture to the CURB. People throw out lots of good stuff. My friend's sister seen this beautiful green velvet sofa, checked it out, in PERFECT CONDITION. She got her friend that has a TRUCK and he hauled it over. That was absolutely beautiful! and Comfortable, Didn't smell ! So DUMPSTER DIVING does not LITERALLY MEAN going into a DUMPSTER. I have never been is a DUMPSTER. and LIKE I SAID, No one could go into the PITS of the DUMP on MAUI. Just they put OLD CARS up there and you could find things that could be salvaged. YOU EVER NOTICE, people don't READ what you type out here. they assume they uhderstand but they are MENTALLY DAYDREAMING because their brains are in the DUMPSTER..... LOL...
Adult onset ADD. It's the internet. It fries your brain so you can't concentrate more than a few seconds. Huh? What were we talking about? ohnevermind.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
??????
Your OP stated that you went into the dumpster, with the owners permission to get carpet.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Had a woman in a Mercedes-Benz stop in front of the house and pick the wine bottles out of my recycling. I assumed she does home wine making. Okay by me if she re-uses these.

Had a coworker many years ago who used to Dumpster Dive behind retail stores. He once pulled 20 clean floor model exercycles from a bin behind a k-mart or similar store. The guy did this sort of thing several days a week and held yard sales EVERY weekend to move the items. He patterned himself on a guy who once went by the name "Cadillac Jack" who made a living, and a name for himself, by doing dumpster diving full time.

My sister takes junky pieces from antique stores, gives them $10 or so for a beat up old end table, dresser, etc then she refinishes them in her spare time and sells them for a tidy profit . . . it feeds her two horses.... keeps her out of bars ....

Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Never really went TRUE "dumpster diving" but have found goodies.

Growing up there was a rubber ball manufacturer nearby. They would throw out any of the balls that the coloring wasn't right on but were still perfectly fine. I remember my dad getting those all of the time. Cleaned them first then gave them to us or other kids to play with.

A few years ago a neighbor moved and the new owners put the solid wooden HUGE curtain rods out for the trash. I knew that my former neighbor paid a decent price for them so I stopped and got them. Was hoping one would work in one of my kids bedrooms but it didn't. A friend is a custom drapery & upholstery maker. She took all 3 of them and with the high end custom drapes she had just made for a client and installed them in a house that was well over $1M. LOL!! If only those people knew they came from the curb and saved from the trash dump

Our very first gas grill was a "curb find". Neighbors got a new one and were hauling their old one to the curb. They offered it to us and we took it. That was over 15 years ago and after a fresh coat of paint, some new "bricks" and it is still working but down at the lake house now.

I've found all kinds of things or rather spotted them on the curbs in my area. People put out some perfectly good stuff all of the time. Bicycles, furniture, gas grills, patio furniture, etc. Most of it is gone before the bulk trash comes by to pick it up in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living