Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 21,265 times

Advertisements

I purchased 10 acres near Lake Hawkins, which is about 90 miles east of Dallas, Texas. I got the land for a good price because Timber Pirates had cut down most of the trees before the Sheriff caught them. I now have stacks of trees sitting on the ground. The stacks are about 6 feet high and about 10-15 feet wide. The trees about 20-30 feet in length.
What can I do with these downed trees???
The stacks have been on the ground about 3 years now. I am a city boy, just starting on the 'county life'. Does anyone know any of any sawmills or the like in the area? If they are not good enough to save, what else can I do? I will be doing most of the work myself, and money is definitely an issue. I am not living on the land yet. I live about 7 hours away. But I've got to start somewhere.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkjack View Post
I purchased 10 acres near Lake Hawkins, which is about 90 miles east of Dallas, Texas. I got the land for a good price because Timber Pirates had cut down most of the trees before the Sheriff caught them. I now have stacks of trees sitting on the ground. The stacks are about 6 feet high and about 10-15 feet wide. The trees about 20-30 feet in length.
The stacks have been on the ground about 3 years now. I am a city boy, just starting on the 'county life'. Does anyone know any of any sawmills or the like in the area? If they are not good enough to save, what else can I do? I will be doing most of the work myself, and money is definitely an issue. I am not living on the land yet. I live about 7 hours away. But I've got to start somewhere.
Cut the wood up and sell it by the cord. I cant imagine a sawmill wanting it due to the decay which could have taken place over the last several years.

if you live that far away, maybe you might want to just get the lot cleaned out and flip the lot.. If thats the case, maybe place an ad on craigslist, free wood in exchange for clearing it out..

Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
place an ad on craigslist, free wood in exchange for clearing it out
Texas craigslist searches . . firewood . . sawmill

Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Cut to stove length and stack.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Build a log cabin?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Cut the wood up and sell it by the cord. I cant imagine a sawmill wanting it due to the decay which could have taken place over the last several years.

if you live that far away, maybe you might want to just get the lot cleaned out and flip the lot.. If thats the case, maybe place an ad on craigslist, free wood in exchange for clearing it out..
He said the trees were cut three years ago, the ones not touching the ground are probably ok...Cut trees are sometimes allowed a couple of years to dry before cutting into lumber..

And he has not said what kind of trees they are, that could make a difference as to if they have much value. Even yellow pine can add up in a hurry if you have more than one..

It sounds like there are a lot of trees stacked on the ground and he should not have a problem finding someone to buy them..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
You could line some walking trails or edge some landscaping beds with the trees.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
Find a pulp mill in your area-you didn't state what kind of trees they were...depending on the type, ie: hardwood, fir, cedar...there are a variety of uses for each.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,947 times
Put a wood heater in your house and use it. Youd be amazed how much you save on gas or electric.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM

83 posts, read 189,748 times
Default Downed trees

Just guessing that they are probably pine, the likelihood that they are of any use after three years of ground contact is small. More like zero. If you whack a few with a hammer or drill into them, you will likely determine that the bugs and decay are well on the way to reducing them to compost. You will be able to dent them easily with a hammer, and drill shavings will be powdery and smell like mold instead of turpentine. If you look at the cut end, you will probably see that the springwood (thicker ring) looks "fuzzy" and is soft and pulpy. (It is easier for the organisms that attack wood to digest the springwood than the thinner, denser, slower growing summerwood rings.) Sometimes called "jumping ring rot." Fiber strength, and thus suitability for use for anything will be greatly reduced. The ones in direct ground contact will probably not even be usable for firewood, though some of those higher in the stack may be. Burning pine for heat will build up creosote in the flue faster than some other species, so might want to clean a little more often. It's a shame that they went to waste. There are some area commercial sawmills, and I have one for personal use. If we had caught them in time, we might have been able to work out a mutually advantageous solution, but I have little faith that there is anything salvageable. Generally with pine, the sooner they are cut for lumber the better. Back when, they were floated in a mill pond to keep them from going bad if they couldn't be milled on a timely basis. I am not far from Hawkins and pass through there occasionally. If you would like an opinion on the condition, I spent a decade inspecting wood for decay, so could probably give you an accurate appraisal....not looking for a fee, just being neighborly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkjack View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living