Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,951 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out if it is really cheaper to buy beans in the bulk section and cook them, than buying them precooked in cans. Intuitively it seems that it would be cheaper, but now I'm not sure, given the electricity it takes to cook beans such a long time and also the electricity involved in keeping the excess frozen in the freezer.

For example, garbanzo beans can take forever to cook! We eat a lot of them so I'm particularly interested in this type. I also hate having to deal with all the cans if I buy cooked beans, but on the other hand, I have to freeze the garbanzo beans that I cook myself and if we lose electricity for some reason (happens from time to time due to our location and the weather), then my frozen beans are in jeopardy while canned beans are safe.

A can of garbanzos costs about $1, while the same amount of raw beans (adjusted for volume after cooking) costs about 50 cents, but that doesn't include the electricity costs of running my crockpot for 12 hours to cook the buggers, nor does it include the cost of keeping them frozen.

This is just one example, but I'm wondering if anyone has input on whether it is really worth it to buy in bulk, deal with raw legumes, etc, vs. buying boxed or canned foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
It more a question of shelf life and your storage facilities. The shelf life of all the foods you ask about can be gathered from the USDA or your local farm extension for free and will be fairly accurate. The same info can be found on how/where to store your foods in your location.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I am trying to figure out if it is really cheaper to buy beans in the bulk section and cook them, than buying them precooked in cans. Intuitively it seems that it would be cheaper, but now I'm not sure, given the electricity it takes to cook beans such a long time and also the electricity involved in keeping the excess frozen in the freezer.

For example, garbanzo beans can take forever to cook! We eat a lot of them so I'm particularly interested in this type. I also hate having to deal with all the cans if I buy cooked beans, but on the other hand, I have to freeze the garbanzo beans that I cook myself and if we lose electricity for some reason (happens from time to time due to our location and the weather), then my frozen beans are in jeopardy while canned beans are safe.
Are you soaking your beans for a day or two PRIOR to cooking? That will reduce the cooking time seriously.

How much energy does it take to run a crock pot or to use a pressure cooker, both methods of cookies beans?

And do remember that 1# of DRY beans = 2-3# of cooked beans.

How much storage do you have (dry and frozen)? Can you keep vermin out of the beans.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Are you soaking your beans for a day or two PRIOR to cooking? That will reduce the cooking time seriously.

How much energy does it take to run a crock pot or to use a pressure cooker, both methods of cookies beans?

And do remember that 1# of DRY beans = 2-3# of cooked beans.

How much storage do you have (dry and frozen)? Can you keep vermin out of the beans.
I hadn't been pre-soaking but then again, I haven't done this very often. If I decide to make a shift, then I'll plan ahead and definitely pre-soak. I don't have a pressure cooker and don't really want to purchase yet another appliance. I don't have that much storage in the freezer, but I can definitely store dried beans and don't have to worry about vermin. I was assuming I'd cook and freeze large batches as that would be more cost effective in terms of electricity, but maybe it would be better to just cook as I use, and not have to worry about freezer space.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
I hadn't been pre-soaking but then again, I haven't done this very often. If I decide to make a shift, then I'll plan ahead and definitely pre-soak. I don't have a pressure cooker and don't really want to purchase yet another appliance. I don't have that much storage in the freezer, but I can definitely store dried beans and don't have to worry about vermin. I was assuming I'd cook and freeze large batches as that would be more cost effective in terms of electricity, but maybe it would be better to just cook as I use, and not have to worry about freezer space.
I buy some and cook some. I can't always think ahead enough to be prepared on the bean thing. I get big cans from the local 99c store for a dollar. I also buy dry beans and soak them in the fridge for 2 or 3 days to reduce cooking time. If you try this, remember to change the water a couple times. Changing the water keeps the skins from being tough and reduces the 'gas' factor as well. I usually do a big pot or a crockpot full. Enough for maybe 3 meals.

I'm always on the lookout for clearanced turkey ham or ham hocks for bean soup. I also make Mexican style beans as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
When you get dried foods home from the market, put them in the freezer for three days to kill any bug eggs or pantry moths. Then remove from freezer and store in airtight glass jars.

Lentils do not require a long cooking time. Pre-soak larger beans as was suggested, or do the old bring to a boil, let set for 1 hour, drain and add fresh water and cook routine. Dried are almost always cheaper than canned - just be sure to buy a small amount from any bulk bin first, and cook it up to test it. Some bulk and even packaged dried beans are ancient and will NEVER cook without becoming woody. It is very important to buy dried beans at a store where the stock turns over quickly.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Why not just cook and can them ? No need to freeze them.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Unless your teeth are real good (g), you either have to pre-soak or cook for a long period of time. Nothing is worse than hard beans, speaking from experience.

Now certain things - lentils, split peas- are so small that they do NOT need soaking andwill generally get soft in a simmer within an hour.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
I'd consider a pressure cooker and home canning, if I were you. Actually, I'm considering it for myself. If you get a stovetop pressure cooker, it takes up no more space than a large saucepan. Home canning is easy, and your storage then only costs you for the space, not electricity, and no worries about the food going "off" if you use it within a year or so.

At the moment, I only have jelly jars, but need to pick up some larger canning jars for my other canning projects - beans among them.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Like everyone said, ya gotta soak them first!

Another benefit of not using canned is that you can control the amount of salt/sodium in the beans.

One of the best values, if your grocery has them, are bulk/measure-your-own spices and herbs. You can buy small amounts, or just what you need for a recipe, without paying several dollars for a jar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living